Payton couldn't draw up a better gameplan against the Seahawks. (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He used their fatigue from last week's overtime game consistently grind them down. It was evident that the Seahawks D (Was the best defense in league and one of the best road defense) was completely gassed. He sustain a high play count offense and scored on 6th straight possessions. I know that we probably settled for fgs one too many times, but still manage to hold on at the last second.

I'm not a fan of forcing the run, but against an avg offense like the Hawks. It has It's late game benefit against a top defense. We beat them at their own game, and they lost trying beat us at our own game.

I think we were actually 50/50 run pass ratio yesterday.

First time we've seen anything close to that all year. Like Drew said in his post game presser though: each week is going to be a different game plan based strictly on what they see against that opponent. Also said he expects Ingram to bounce back better than ever after getting benched for putting the ball on the ground.

He used their fatigue from last week's overtime game consistently grind them down. It was evident that the Seahawks D (Was the best defense in league and one of the best road defense) was completely gassed. He sustain a high play count offense and scored on 6th straight possessions. I know that we probably settled for fgs one too many times, but still manage to hold on at the last second.

I'm not a fan of forcing the run, but against an avg offense like the Hawks. It has It's late game benefit against a top defense. We beat them at their own game, and they lost trying beat us at our own game.
It was a good game plan and props for being patient and sticking to it when they got down 14-3.

When you want a better run game and a bit more attention to it and to use it enough to keep it well oiled, it's because of games like this. You need other tools in your toolkit than trowing the ball 50 times a game to be able to diversify the attack and keep opponents on their heels. Nobody wants to be 3 yards and a cloud of dust but you should keep the defense respecting the run to get the most out of your offense overall.

Balance of ways to win gets you way farther than being one dimensional even if you are the best there is at that one dimension.

While I liked the gameplan, we easily left two touchdowns on the board just by refusing to mix up. We ran Hightower on 3 consecutive dives before half and after half, it was predictable on the goal line, luckily our defense held cause either of those lack of TD's could have cost us this game. Good team win regardless.

Always good when it works
It was still down to the wire, but the flipside of it is that the Seahawks are very good at forcing turnovers. If you throw the ball 50 times you increase the probability of a bad bounce of the ball, a big hit that pops the ball out, etc.

There were a couple of batted balls that in other circumstances might have been INTs. It's a smart strategy against a tired D to pound and keep the game close and minimize opportunity for them to take the ball away and get cheap scores on a short field.

And I am firm believer that bearing down and winning a game this way can pay dividends later in the season when you are playing in conditions that do not favor throwing the ball.

It was a good game plan and props for being patient and sticking to it when they got down 14-3.

When you want a better run game and a bit more attention to it and to use it enough to keep it well oiled, it's because of games like this. You need other tools in your toolkit than trowing the ball 50 times a game to be able to diversify the attack and keep opponents on their heels. Nobody wants to be 3 yards and a cloud of dust but you should keep the defense respecting the run to get the most out of your offense overall.

Balance of ways to win gets you way farther than being one dimensional even if you are the best there is at that one dimension.

I think patience comes from how good our offense actually is this season. We are back to the time that if we don't score every time we touch the ball im frustrated. We can score from anywhere on the field at anytime and that has been missing the last couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also realized a few weeks ago that Payton's "handful" is the new "heckuva". Next time you see him speak listen for it.

That being said, our gameplan was really good, and I hope we can keep an upward trend going.

Something I just realized is that SP talked about the game plan was designed to keep their D on the field and limit the # of snaps our D played.

Why is that significant beyond the obvious implications in that game?

We have our own cross country trip coming up to SF this week. Granted our game starts at 3 but preserving them a week in advance of facing a Chip Kelly defense was masterful and subtle. Def managing the schedule..love this coaching staff.

While I liked the gameplan, we easily left two touchdowns on the board just by refusing to mix up. We ran Hightower on 3 consecutive dives before half and after half, it was predictable on the goal line, luckily our defense held cause either of those lack of TD's could have cost us this game. Good team win regardless.

That was Payton sending a message. We could have finessed but he wanted to see his Oline win the LOS and demoralize their D. It was a psychological ploy..that and trying to pass on Seattle in the red zone is even harder due to the condensed field and their speed.

Without a good run game Saints would have lost against the Hawks. If Ingram would hve continued to play in game Saints would have lost. I will ride Hightower for the whole season. Donnt stop what is working. You hve found the formula...Ride it.

That was Payton sending a message. We could have finessed but he wanted to see his Oline win the LOS and demoralize their D. It was a psychological ploy..that and trying to pass on Seattle in the red zone is even harder due to the condensed field and their speed.

Running is fine but not the same call throw some motion in there get guys pulling to the outside etc all of the runs were identical and attacking head on was to their advantage needed to get them east and west and reacting to us not other way around glad we got it done tho believe dat

I'm also really happy Payton stuck with settling for field goals.

Payton is aggressive and likes going for it on 4th down sometimes. Really happy he refused to risk walking away from a drive without points and took the FGs. Almost half our points came from FGs.

Lutz is becoming a serious weapon for us.

Running is fine but not the same call throw some motion in there get guys pulling to the outside etc all of the runs were identical and attacking head on was to their advantage needed to get them east and west and reacting to us not other way around glad we got it done tho believe dat

We mostly take advantage of teams horizontally in the redzone/gosline situations. Seahawks have crazy team speed a toss would have been owned. Got to know the opponent here bro and you are a little misguided. He made the right decision behind the correct logic. Can't beat them sideline to sideline so pound it..whole game was about pounding.

They are one of the better east to west teams and the strength of their D is actually on the edges.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom