Payton delayed trip home in order to review game film (1 Viewer)

So many are screaming for Taysom to take over and haven’t noticed how much he does his own version of a check down. You’ll likely be pulling your hair out watching him forgo a tight window 30yard gain an opt for running it himself for a hard four yards up the middle. I love Taysom, but I also think people are dressing up his limited qb moments.

The few DEEP balls I’ve seen him throw were all behind the receiver. That’s also likely due to timing. I assure you, we’ll be no happier watching him throw inaccurate bombs that stall drives than we are watching Drew’s last two games.

I’m honestly reserving my judgement on the entire team until October. History has proven that we typically come out of the gate sluggish.

The game of playing keep away from the Saints worked. TOP Raiders 36 mts. Saints 23 mts.
And, looks like we committed tons of penalties. I would have to review to see if legit or ticky-tack.

Last edited:
Can it be that the all of the drama from this offseason, along with Corona, lack of true pre-season, etc. has Drew mentally off his game. For someone who has been a creature of habit when it comes to mental preparation year after year, all of these different situations have disrupted his routine.

Drew was part of the problem but believe me a lot of the blame goes to the defense for not getting off the field on numerous third downs.
Exactly!
Let's face it, when the Saints scored with well over three minutes left to play, every single one of us realized that if our defense could have forced a 'three & out', Drew was coming back in that game to duplicate the previous drive and tie the game. The interference penalty changed all that. And when the Raiders nailed our comeback attempt shut with the late fieldgoal, everyone knew that the problems involved far more than Drew's short passes.

This was a team loss, which includes the head honcho on the sidelines who was calling the plays. If anyone thinks that Brees' performance was the sole reason we flopped, they don't know much about football.

If it wasn't for the virus, I would say they were staying because it's Vegas.

Indeed Vegas isnt even Vegas right now..

I didnt watch the whole game (was primarily watching the Stars play for the Cup). But, what I did see will probably show up on film as well....lots of yellow flags,

He kills me when he abandons the run. I was always taught that 3 things can happen on a pass play and 2 of them are bad.

That is such a stupid saying.

3 things can happen when you run too.

1.You can gain yards, that’s good.
2. You can have zero or even negative yards., that’s bad.
3. You can fumble, that’s bad.

If we could have tackled better, the game would have been different. Granted, big guys like their RB and TE are hard to wrap up. But that's the worst tackling game in my memory. Bad tackling baffles me, I think there's a mysterious mental as well as a physical aspect to it.

If we could have tackled better, the game would have been different. Granted, big guys like their RB and TE are hard to wrap up. But that's the worst tackling game in my memory. Bad tackling baffles me, I think there's a mysterious mental as well as a physical aspect to it.
I'm going to feel really bad if New England is successful at tackling Waller this Sunday.
Because frankly we couldn't find anyone outside of Davis who could get that kid on the ground. :covri:

So many are screaming for Taysom to take over and haven’t noticed how much he does his own version of a check down. You’ll likely be pulling your hair out watching him forgo a tight window 30yard gain an opt for running it himself for a hard four yards up the middle. I love Taysom, but I also think people are dressing up his limited qb moments.

The few DEEP balls I’ve seen him throw were all behind the receiver. That’s also likely due to timing. I assure you, we’ll be no happier watching him throw inaccurate bombs that stall drives than we are watching Drew’s last two games.

I’m honestly reserving my judgement on the entire team until October. History has proven that we typically come out of the gate sluggish.
:100:

regardless of depth chart, i'd much prefer winston as the alternative to brees unless he really doesn't yet grasp our system

winston is an nfl qb who's actually won games (including a few off us) and brings the vertical threat we're currently lacking

Guys this whole thing about abandoning the run Monday night is just plain wrong. Saints scored on their first three possessions and Brees threw an int with a minute to go in half. You’re not gonna run the ball there.
They had only 4 possessions in the second half and on the first were rumbling down the field at ease until 2 holding calls and a crack back block call forced them to throw on 2nd and third downs. Their next possession they ran on first down and on second and third passed before punting. They then drove for TD on next possession before driving 50 yards when game ended. There is only 1 play that can be second guessed IMHO and that was the second and five on the second possession of the second half.
The reason the Saints ran less is they had penalties on one possession and were successful on the other possessions passing late. They didn’t have the ball much but when they did they moved the ball well passing in second half.

It's obvious I'm a huge Drew fan. I've seen what everyone else has. The last two games have been sub par for him. That said, I think we are fooling ourselves if we think our play won't drop off if Taysom Hill is the QB. I'm not convinced he is a QB in the NFL. He's a good change of pace every now and then but not as a full time QB.

I think Drew bounces back this week and plays a solid game. Put the naysayers to bed for another week or two.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom