Payton discusses possibility of Peat to LG (1 Viewer)

My reply from a different thread but sums up my wishes.

I'm sorry but I feel a bit more pessimistic than most here. I don't think this OL in it's current configuration is ever going to gel to acceptability.

I look at Terron Armstead and I see someone who is very gifted when healthy but seems to always have some nagging injury. Didn't seem like he actually practiced very much in camp thus far and then went out in the Steelers game early with an injury. So who is going to backup Armstead? From what I have seen, it won't be Peat.

If Peat can't hold his own at LT / RT, shouldn't it be more natural for him to play LG instead of RG? Or is Allen a better fit here?

Unger is solid at center.

Turner is a natural RG, where he played in college, and I think that would be his best fit going forward. He deserves a legitimate shot at playing / starting some where on the OL and not just a few snaps.

Streif has become a flat out liability as far as I can tell. His foot speed just isn't there anymore. But we can always put a TE over there to help out if need be.

So, here is the OL combos I would like to see at least tried in the last preseason game. However, they may have already been ruled out.

LT. Armstead
LG. Peat
C. . . Unger
RG. Turner
RT. Streif

LT. Armstead
LG. Allen
C. . Unger
RG. Turner
RT. Peat

They have maybe already tried this and decided its not a good fit at all. But I definitely believe Turner needs a fair shot at starting on this line. If Armstead goes down for any length of time, we are totally SOL. Watch that wavier wire. Don't trade picks away!

i think the problem is twofold.

one we drafted a LT when we already have an elite LT and then figured it'd be no big deal to move him to RT, except that it's a totally different position and we already have a (clearly descending) RT.

so he can't play LT or RT, but he's a 1st rounder so he's gotta play, so they stick him at guard, which he apparently isn't particularly good at.

the issue here is that we drafted a player we don't need, as of this moment. if he can slide out to RT and be solid then it's fine, but Strief isn't very good any more and they haven't really even given him a shot to play there.

TL;DR - Peat most likely isn't ever going to be worth the pick we used on him and it's the team's fault for drafting a player we didn't have a spot for.

Agree. Anybody else that would have drafted him ( likely at the end of Round 1 or very early Round 2 ) would have put him at LT

LT. Armstead
LG. Peat
C. . . Unger
RG. Turner
RT. Streif

LT. Armstead
LG. Allen
C. . Unger
RG. Turner
RT. Peat

They have maybe already tried this and decided its not a good fit at all. But I definitely believe Turner needs a fair shot at starting on this line. If Armstead goes down for any length of time, we are totally SOL. Watch that wavier wire. Don't trade picks away!

Zach Strief

The man has been on the team for 10 years. S T R I E F.

Streif has become a flat out liability as far as I can tell. His foot speed just isn't there anymore. But we can always put a TE over there to help out if need be.

This happens to us sooo much last year... It will either cripple us in the opening drives or Brees gets slaughter on a potential game tying or game winning situation.

My reply from a different thread but sums up my wishes.

I'm sorry but I feel a bit more pessimistic than most here. I don't think this OL in it's current configuration is ever going to gel to acceptability.

I look at Terron Armstead and I see someone who is very gifted when healthy but seems to always have some nagging injury. Didn't seem like he actually practiced very much in camp thus far and then went out in the Steelers game early with an injury. So who is going to backup Armstead? From what I have seen, it won't be Peat.

If Peat can't hold his own at LT / RT, shouldn't it be more natural for him to play LG instead of RG? Or is Allen a better fit here?

Unger is solid at center.

Turner is a natural RG, where he played in college, and I think that would be his best fit going forward. He deserves a legitimate shot at playing / starting some where on the OL and not just a few snaps.

So, here is the OL combos I would like to see at least tried in the last preseason game. However, they may have already been ruled out.

LT. Armstead
LG. Peat
C. . . Unger
RG. Turner
RT. Streif

LT. Armstead
LG. Allen
C. . Unger
RG. Turner
RT. Peat

Bingo !! This is my thinking as well, except a vet pick up at LG . Turner needs to get a shot at RG with the 1's . The kid has a ton of potintial in my opinion so we need to see it . Allen has talent but I think his future is at C

Interesting. Could be opening up a Chance for Turner to play RG

This would be my hope as well, but I seriously wonder if SP and co are even entertaining that idea right now. In the conference call, he said that Lelito and Senio are battling for that other guard spot. No mention of Turner, yet.

This x 80 trillion.

Only 80 trillion? I say 81 trillion.

How can you evaluate a player at all if he plays in 4 different spots? As far as I'm concerned, you can flush all his film down the toilet until he gets one job and one job only and is allowed to succeed.

Only 80 trillion? I say 81 trillion.

How can you evaluate a player at all if he plays in 4 different spots? As far as I'm concerned, you can flush all his film down the toilet until he gets one job and one job only and is allowed to succeed.
Amen, brother.
You're preaching to the crowd.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom