Payton: Ducks in a row comment per Florio (1 Viewer)

Then again, nobody twisted your arm to open this thread.

Professor: Help me out, if you can. Before I went to bed last night, I visited the website of the Washington post (Washington Post: Breaking News, World, US, DC News & Analysis) which had a front page article on Goodell, a true puff piece, filled with praise. It opened the door to possible political office for Goodell in the future (as many of us have suspected) with Jim Irsay even, I kid you not, stating Goodell would be a good presidential candidate.

Under the comments sections, there wasn't a single positive comment about the man, not one, ( and these folks arent Saints fans)which seemed to me to reflect the true reality of Roger Goodell, the media, and the general public. The media loves him, but the public does not; they just don't, no matter how often his PR machine tells them they should.

I wanted to link the article this morning, mainly so posters could read the comments, but now it's nowhere to be found, at least by me with my admittedly poor skills. Can you find & link? Thanks

20 years from now the answer will still be no.

Yeah You Right! IMHO, this entire SEASON for the NFL should hold an asterisk by it since one of The League's elite teams, which was primed and ready, chomping at the bit to become the first NFL Team in History to host it's OWN SUPERBOWL was decimated by the knee jerk reactions of a jerk of a Commissioner, negating (along with 6 or 8 games --can't remember exactly anymore of "replacement" officiating) the validity of the season as a whole!

Think of the momentum The SAINTS had and the "spirit" which was flying around with that prospect of being able to HOST your OWN SUPERBOWL GAME and being The REAL Home TEAM! The feelings were there and just as things were beginning to get going, WHAM! A whole slew of scandious debate and distractions until the hammer came down on Our TEAM and, as we find out later, The Commissioner "walked back" on his position once the players (namely Jonathan Vilma) called him out on the lack of "evidence" which would warrent such disciplinary action!

That's how I feel! The whole LEAGUE this past season should be tainted and a big ( * ) put beside it and put that on the Lombardi too! I KNOW for a FACT Spags would have been a whole different Coach had he had Coach Sean Payton there to help smooth out whatever went so horribly wrong as, on a couple of occasions, The SAINT Defense did rise up and perform some strong stands and stops throughout the season which shows me the players were ready to perform if only the Coaching had been stable or more effective schemes were put in place.

For me, this season did nothing but put our players in jeopardy, put another year of wear and tear on their bodies and hurt their emotions and egos and a steady hand to help them focus all through the season. That's why every team in The League was effected and an asterisk must be placed along side this season! It's not just a SAINTS black eye at all, it's a black eye for The League!

Fontenot's point is very well taken. If this commissioner has higher aspirations, then the story needs to be at least considered.

And I also believe that more important principles than the injudicious treatment of a football team are at stake. It's a problem of someone making accusations that--at the very least--have not been evaluated by the legal system and getting away with making them because of the stipulations of a collective bargaining agreement. Most of us on this board believe that the evidence is flimsy. Judging by the comments made by Judge Berrigan, she also thinks the evidence is flimsy and that the commissioner's behavior was reprehensible. But her hands were tied by the CBA. All she could do in her ruling was to take some verbal shots at the commissioner, but she could not allow the defamation suit to proceed. Again, why should a CBA trump fair treatment of individuals?

As I look at the events from the standpoint of a non-lawyer, I maintain that something is terribly wrong with a legal system that allows this to happen. If we "move on" from this, then the outrageous treatment of the Saints will become a drop in the bucket compared to the kind of intimidation and unfair treatment that individuals are likely to receive in the workplace and in life in general.

I don't understand how the figure of speech, "Get your ducks in a row" suddenly means "to lie" if Sean Payton uses it. That's not the origin of the phrase nor how it was meant to be used. So what made Roger Goodell think Sean Payton was using it out-of-context? Why not assume he was using it correctly?

I guess it doesn't come as a surpise considering he also thought Saints players were literally trying to kill heads.

For those who want to "move on" - BYE!!! Move right along. Please. No one's stopping you. Why do you need everyone else to move on with you? Do you need unanimous group consent before you do everything in your life?

All the other threads discussing draft and defense and personnel moves and you come into this thread with your Mr. Preachy Sassy Pants spiel, telling other adults what to think and for how long they should think it. You don't get to control those things.

The only lying was done by Goodell, when he falsely accused our coach of instructing his subordinates to lie....

How can such a low life person have the guts to come to the city, is beyond me!

He shouldn't be served by any establishment as long he stay in town...and flyiers should reming everyone that he is not welcomed in New Orleans!

Professor: Help me out, if you can. Before I went to bed last night, I visited the website of the Washington post (Washington Post: Breaking News, World, US, DC News & Analysis) which had a front page article on Goodell, a true puff piece, filled with praise. It opened the door to possible political office for Goodell in the future (as many of us have suspected) with Jim Irsay even, I kid you not, stating Goodell would be a good presidential candidate.

Under the comments sections, there wasn't a single positive comment about the man, not one, ( and these folks arent Saints fans)which seemed to me to reflect the true reality of Roger Goodell, the media, and the general public. The media loves him, but the public does not; they just don't, no matter how often his PR machine tells them they should.

I wanted to link the article this morning, mainly so posters could read the comments, but now it's nowhere to be found, at least by me with my admittedly poor skills. Can you find & link? Thanks

Super Bowl XLVII: Roger Goodell, a principled politician, leads the NFL through tumultuous times - The Washington Post

Can we simply move on?

I can almost guarantee you that's what the NFL wants us to do. And when it comes to the players and coaches, I want them to move on so that they can focus 100% of their attention on football. But as a fan, I can't simply move on. I want the story to remain alive until the truth comes out. Some day, someone will crack and will spill the beans on roger, but only if the story remains alive. I, for one, want articles like this to continue to be written, but that's just me.

Fontenot:

Rammar64 seems to have found it. I found that one too, but didn't think it was the one you were talking about. Frankly, I want Goodell to go into politics. His lack of honesty and inability to actually consider that what he thinks just might be wrong makes him a perfect politician.

That's very true Prof. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I prefer not living, dwelling on things of the past, and it is just that, the past. I'd bet of you asked the guys on this team if they still dwell on bounty gate or if they're focused on moving forward, you wouldn't find many of them giving much thought to it. Yeah, we were wronged but it is time to focus on whats in front of us and not what's behind us.

But that is just it, WE are not on the team, so we can multi-task and focus on many things without our focus really being that important.

I am focusing on what is in front of us, and what I see has a huge vacancy in the form of a stolen 2nd round pick...So yea, give back #2 and we can start the healing process.

It is a matter of paying restitution, and if you were due some because of a crime committed onto you, you'd damn sure want what was due. Right?

jtskains, I was going to respond, but the point I would make is already made by outvoted. I do appreciate your civility with your response, however, and I get your point, but, as outvoted says, I am not a member of the Saints team. Their focus is where it should be. And my focus is where I choose for it to be.

I will never forget what Goodell did to the Saints, making them a scapegoat to demonstrate to the future courts that will hear the lawsuit by former players regarding concussion issues that the NFL is serious about head trauma. That is why Goodell would never listen to reason about this. He had his agenda, and by God, it was going to turn out exactly as he said it would. He figured Tags would not do what he did, and now he's trying to mend a few fences. He may be able to mend the one with the players, but he will NEVER mend any fences with the fans--at least not this fan. I sat through too many miserable years as a Saints fan to have him step forward and, through lies and improper conclusions, sully the one championship the team I've loved since its inception has achieved.

Fontenot:

Rammar64 seems to have found it. I found that one too, but didn't think it was the one you were talking about. Frankly, I want Goodell to go into politics. His lack of honesty and inability to actually consider that what he thinks just might be wrong makes him a perfect politician.

I don't think the general public thinks much of him - not that they care about what he did to Saints because they don't; but, if a LEGITIMATE poll to NFL fans was conducted such as : on a scale of 1 to 10, what do you think of Roger Goodells job as commissioner of NFL, how would you rate him? I bet he is rated 5 or 6. Too much hypocrisy on his part, and he is just so sanctimonious. Now the media would rate him 8 to 10, wile the players would rate him 1 to 2. Lot of disconnect.

I do think I have to move forward tho; if some of our posters are as sick of goodell threads as I am of Falcon threads, that's a lot of sick and tired lol.

Dunno. I'll get back to you when other fans stop making bounty comments and calling the Saints a dirty team.

This! Just tonight the hubby & I were visiting some friends. He (friend) is a 9ers fan. I told him I'm for the Ravens since the whiner9ers were a hated rival for so long. We back and forthed with it with me saying the Saints should be in instead of the 9ers. He made the BIG mistake of saying "the Saints should have thought about that before putting out bounties". This is a dude that lives in Saints country! I told him if that was how he really felt that we would take our leave and leave! That it had been nice knowing them! He apologized and said he had said it just to get a rise out of me. Well, he got more than just a rise, I hit the roof. The thing is, there are countless people out there who will be doing that to us for the next 20 years! So, at least for me, "getting over it" will happen when no one outside the WhoDats says "bounty"!

Dunno. I'll get back to you when other fans stop making bounty comments and calling the Saints a dirty team.

Sticks and stones man, Sticks and stones. I could care less what other fans from OTHER TEAMS think about MY TEAM. But I do hope we run the score up on people when we have the chance. Foot on throat, no more victory formation at opposing teams 10 yard line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom