Payton: from pass happy to "balanced" (1 Viewer)

I think it's all of the above.

Plus, Payton knows we will never win the SB with Drew passing the ball 45-50 times a game.

There are 2 reasons the Saints are running the ball. One they have the lead in the 2nd half which makes it easier to run the ball.
Again, the only offensive points we scored the past two weeks were rushing. I don't know where you guys are getting this from.

I think Drew has a run and pass available for every play, so I think y'all are giving Payton too much credit. I think Drew has probably checked off to runs a lot of times this year, since he's seen the defenses selling out to the pass.

I think Drew has a run and pass available for every play, so I think y'all are giving Payton too much credit. I think Drew has probably checked off to runs a lot of times this year, since he's seen the defenses selling out to the pass.
:idunno: You know who gives Drew the calls to check out of most of the time?

Again, the only offensive points we scored the past two weeks were rushing. I don't know where you guys are getting this from.

We were up 7-0 and 17-0 in the last two games.......what did we do in the running game to contribute to these leads?!

59 yards or an average of 30 yards a game.

Much easier to run with ball with a lead.

We were up 7-0 and 17-0 in the last two games.......what did we do in the running game to contribute to these leads?!

Good, you saved me some time having to go dig up the run-pass ratio and yardage totals.

We didn't build any lead whatsoever in our past two games with our passing. So your saying our O now is the same as it's ever been (since Payton)? How do you figure? We are running the ball a lot more compared to the last three years. And more successfully at that. Our run O is better than our pass O as of now. I do think we will go back to the pass more throughout the season, but how can you say we're not more balanced?

I think Bonchie hit the nail on the head with his explanation. I would rather call this years team just all around solid.

1.) Having the #1 Offense in the league allows us to quickly put points on the board (or in the last two weeks situation, manage the ball and time of possesion without turning over the ball).
2.) Then our quickly rising Defense steps in and puts a stop to the opponents Offense.
3.) We score some more on O, we get some key turnovers on D, take advantage and score some more....
4.) Now we hold an advantage. We now can start eating up the clock and start pounding the ball on the ground and completely wear down the opponents D and force their O to turn to the pass and despiration sets in and more turnovers ensue...and at the end of the day we are victorious.

Sound familiar? Think last season. The Key to our success this year comes mainly from our off season pick ups. Big props to the Saints Coaching staff and Front office for getting the key Coaches/Players we desperately needed.

Agreed.

Playing 4 (statistically speaking) of the worst QBs in the league definitely inflates the running stats since we can build a lead with 10+ turnovers.....The ground game will not continue at 160+ yards a game, it just can't that is not the way this team is built. The Falcons and Giants (3 games) will be a true test if we can keep up with this perceived balance attack in the next few weeks.

The ground game will not continue at 160+ yards a game, it just can't that is not the way this team is built. The Falcons and Giants (3 games) will be a true test if we can keep up with this perceived balance attack in the next few weeks.

This team is built to do whatever it needs to do to win. When you have a defense that doesn't blow leads or put you in a huge hole early, then all options are on the table.

How we are "built" is not confined to one side of the equation. The O-line run blocking the past 4 weeks will be the same one playing the next 3 weeks. Turnovers and bad QB's do not dictate their abilities.

Also, the idea that the Giants and Falcons are some huge test of our run game lacks logical prowess. The Giants run defense is bad. The Falcons defense as a whole isn't very good. Their run defense is terrible. 25th in the league to be precise.

Against these teams we can absolutely keep rushing for 163 yards a game. The Cowboys went for 251 against the Giants. Is your arguement that we aren't as good as the Cowboys? Because I see us as better in every single facet of the game.

Last edited:
I think Payton and his staff are doing their homework on every team so they can build the right formula to win those games . I believe the Saints are a balanced and versatile football club and if they stay healthy they will be in the Super Bowl . Payton's play calling shows that in the off-season Parcells may have opened his eyes on whats more important style points or getting the win . Against the Bills and Jets the Saints offense took a real conservative approach , leaned on the defense and won .

Last edited:

I dunno? Maybe that 7-0 lead we took was on a 1 yd run by Hamilton. And every TD thereafter. And I don't know where you got those rushing stats from. We had 222 rushing yards against Buffalo, as opposed to 172 yards passing. And we had 132 yards against the Jets. That's not 30 yards per game. Where did you get these stats? It was a defensive game, I know, but it was most definitely not a pass happy game.

My point is that we are not the same offense as we've always been. We're #2 in rushing right now. And even if we're running more because we have the lead, we're having a lot more success rushing than we have in years past.

This team has a more physical mentality then in years past and it starts up front.. with guys like Nicks, and Jahri Evans. Helps when you have 2 hungry backs, in Pierre, and Mike Bell... one guy has great balance, and always does his best to stay on his feet, while the other builds up and hits the hole hard every play...

i think the running game will be a huge factor in whether or not we will continue to be successful for the remainder of the season.

This is the funniest way to appreciate our defensive achievements......"we have a D now, which can stop the run"!

Well....putting up 30 points a little over a half helps also! LOL!......if we do that every game....watch how good our D really is then!!!

This team is built to do whatever it needs to do to win. When you have a defense that doesn't blow leads or put you in a huge hole early, then all options are on the table.

How we are "built" is not confined to one side of the equation. The O-line run blocking the past 4 weeks will be the same one playing the next 3 weeks. Turnovers and bad QB's do not dictate their abilities.

Also, the idea that the Giants and Falcons are some huge test of our run game lacks logical prowess. The Giants run defense is bad. The Falcons defense as a whole isn't very good. Their run defense is terrible. 25th in the league to be precise.

Against these teams we can absolutely keep rushing for 163 yards a game. The Cowboys went for 251 against the Giants. Is your arguement that we aren't as good as the Cowboys? Because I see us as better in every single facet of the game.

Indeed!

Not sayin we'll run the ball for 251, but we can and will run the ball!

Dallas lost that game because of 3 Romo ints that ended in 21 Giant pts. While our D has become a TO machine, one of the things that has gotten loverlooked is that our O has taken good care of the ball. Drew hasn't had to force things, and the RBs have taken good care of the ball.

The Dallas D held its own against the run. But their DBs gave up too many big plays against Eli.

We are better than Dallas. We are better than the Giants.

I REALLY like our chances!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom