Payton growing as a play caller (1 Viewer)

Sandman

Kind of Messed Up
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In the past, you would have seen Payton get impatient and start trying to force the ball down field. I heard a comment from one of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive players (last year I think), where he said Kiffin told them to be patient and that they would get their chance because Payton will try and force the ball down field at some point.

Part of change has to be because of the defense. Payton has confidence that the defense will stop the other team. He is willing to play a "field position game" now, and we are winning games that we would have lost last year.

The way Buffalo and the Jets played us this year is the "blue print" for beating the Saints, but it isn't working because (1) the defense is playing lights out, (2) we are willing to run the ball, and (3) Payton's is growing as a play caller.

Teams are executing the "blue print" about as well as it can be executed, but the Saints are still winning. Who dat!

kudos on the field position point.

i really think that the play-action to evans was the best call of the day.

we should definetly do more of those roll-outs in the future as long as lance moore is limited.

4-0, baby! I really can't complain too much, although I would have liked to see the naked boot (a la the Buffalo game) on one of those 3rd- or 4th and shorts we missed on.

Actually he went for it on 2 4th downs, when a field goal or punting would have been the smart call.

Just punt and make Sanchez prove he can move the ball. They only did it once on a 34 yd drive that was capped by a long run.

I'm disappointed that we didn't break out the reverse for at least one of those 4th down and shorts...

Actually he went for it on 2 4th downs, when a field goal or punting would have been the smart call.

Just punt and make Sanchez prove he can move the ball. They only did it once on a 34 yd drive that was capped by a long run.

no. the first one was kind of a bad call because there was so much time left. in that situation you punt.

the last one was perfect because we got the penalty on the hard count which is what i was hoping for. there was only like 8 mins left so theres a good possibilty that the D will jump off-sides out of desperations trailing by 10pts and if they don't just call a timeout and kick.

The reason that Payton is running the ball is cause of the defence and the Saints have not really played a great offence yet and they have never been behind.

If the Saints were playing Arizona, I don't think Payton would has patient with the running game, cause he knows that he will need more points to win game against teams like that.

So far the Saints have played 2 rookie Qb's and Kolb making his first start and another QB in Edwards who is still young.

If the Saints were playing Rivers, Manning or Brady, it would harder to stay with the running game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom