Payton Has Been Handcuffed to a 5 yard offense, That Ends Next Year (1 Viewer)

Talents like Harris burning a secondary can finally be exploited without Hill or Brees underthrowing him by 10 yards
I agree. Accuracy and completion percentage will take a hit but there’s more than one way to win. I just don’t want someone who is careless with the football.

We have the defense now to win, having a QB to keep a defense honest and not play a red zone defense for 4 quarters is going to be what we need. We will be very competitive as soon as next year watch, some that are predicting a "rebuild" are going to be far off

Hopefully the defense doesn’t regress if the offense does come back more explosive next year.

Talents like Harris burning a secondary can finally be exploited without Hill or Brees underthrowing him by 10 yards

We have the defense now to win, having a QB to keep a defense honest and not play a red zone defense for 4 quarters is going to be what we need. We will be very competitive as soon as next year watch, some that are predicting a "rebuild" are going to be far off
Absolutely. I mean going 8-1 the last 2 years without Brees with 2 drastically different QBs, shows this is a good and adaptable team. We’ve drafted too well(edit:but some reason no one wants to draft a QB)

Last edited:
Personally I really like Winston and think he can make us explosive with a full offseason prep as the starter. We will see how Payton handles this, he either hands the reigns to Jameis without a challenge or he brings in a competitor for the # 1 to make it competitive. Taysom stays cemented as the swiss army knife and due to his salary will have to see some touches but we will limit the turnovers and the risk and rightfully so, can't do that in this league.

We are going to eat almost 12 million next year if Drew retires and 12 the following year basically. Taysom has a pretty high backup salary. All that points to Payton may just roll with what we have just by numbers alone . We cant sink a mint into 3 positions at QB, I think it will be Jameis with the occasional Taysom plays if I had to be a betting man

I couldn't be happier if Winston is the guy especially when it saves us risking a low first round draft pick on a mediocre QB. Also, he was a recent #1 draft pick. What kind of fan could be upset about that?

Also, how fun will it be to beat TB with their #1 pick for the next decade?

I actually noticed that Drew tends to throw the ball short or medium down the field. I am convinced that Kamara saw an opportunity to spring up field and get open, but Brees wanted to throw medium. Back about 10 years ago i remember we use to throw deep to Henderson and Meachem. I have a feeling we will not have to 5 and time teams down the field anymore.

----

This was our worst offense under Payton, and it wasn’t just Drew. The interior O line is soft. Our only special skill player is Alvin. A great QB would make a huge difference, though. I don’t think Taysom is that guy. Jameis? Maybe. We’d have to see what he can do. Can we even afford to find someone else?

Smith was so wide open on the Winston pass. The defense was probably like “I thought we only had to guard 10 yards in front of us... where did that come from?”

Nah. They definitely thought it was a run. Once Kamara ran to the left the whole defense went to that side and left both Winston and TQS wide open. So the defense just ain't know what was happening.

Smith was so wide open on the Winston pass. The defense was probably like “I thought we only had to guard 10 yards in front of us... where did that come from?”

It was a double fake trick play...he wasn't covered because the entire TB defense thought it was a reverse / run play

Our WRs got zero separation on plays where normal receiving routes were involved. Their DBs were ridding in our receiver's back pockets most of the night

I think Saints will be forced in to rebuild mode. They can't even afford to bring key players on defense back.

I think JW will be good if his decision making has improved, but Winston has never looked good with TB. I'm still kinda iffy about him. I do remember this Saints forum was amped up about Teddy Bridgewater for 5 gms in which Murray carried the team. He looks like a bust in Carolina as a full time QB with those 4 QT ints. So I hope JW or TH can still play well when it comes to being a full time QB.

TQS almost looked like he was gonna stop running. Can’t remember the last time a pass went in front of a WR more than 30 yards down field.

Brees stayed a year too long and wasted a really good team.

You guys are incredible....

Who would have got the team to 12 wins this season? Taysom? Winston?

People have forgotten already that Winston was let go from his team because he couldn't get it done in TB, despite having crazy WR talent around him. Taysom got to take the reins during a soft part of our schedule, and was only really effective his first few games...until opposing defenses got a few games worth of material to study & shut him down.

We could certainly do a lot worse than Winston & Hill, but neither of those guys have the football IQ that Drew does...and for better or worse...Drew is the 1 of the 3 that gave us our best shot at making a run for it.

I suppose we did too well each season to be able to land a high flyer QB in the draft, or to be able to pay a top QB talent FA....what a problem to have.

Enjoy the struggle to sniff .500 again

You guys are incredible....

Who would have got the team to 12 wins this season? Taysom? Winston?

People have forgotten already that Winston was let go from his team because he couldn't get it done in TB, despite having crazy WR talent around him. Taysom got to take the reins during a soft part of our schedule, and was only really effective his first few games...until opposing defenses got a few games worth of material to study & shut him down.

We could certainly do a lot worse than Winston & Hill, but neither of those guys have the football IQ that Drew does...and for better or worse...Drew is the 1 of the 3 that gave us our best shot at making a run for it.

I suppose we did too well each season to be able to land a high flyer QB in the draft, or to be able to pay a top QB talent FA....what a problem to have.

Enjoy the struggle to sniff .500 again
Drew lost 5 games this year. And eked out several others. There were better options on the team, especially if we’d been able to build the entire offense around a QB with a live arm.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom