Payton Has Been Handcuffed to a 5 yard offense, That Ends Next Year (1 Viewer)

Drew lost 5 games this year. And eked out several others. There were better options on the team, especially if we’d been able to build the entire offense around a QB with a live arm.

Drew lost 5 games? I thought it was a team sport? And no, there was no one that could have helped us more than Brees this year.

The fact that Teddy and Taysom didn’t throw downfield much either makes me wonder if the dink and dunk is what he wants to do now.
I believe Payton has changed his thinking (some), to the dink and dunk style, because he realizes the defense cannot be on the field for so long. Maybe, but we’ll see.

I posted Man Press coverage was going to drop Drew to 50% accuracy and he struggled. He’s done...toast. It’s Winston’s position to win but he will have to beat out Taysom and earn it.

I imagine Jameis would be kinda like having AB back with a better coach & team around him. And yes u can sign me up for that allday
But AB is mentally deranged AND an ice hole. JW was just a semi-blind, young and sometimes dumb guy. Nothing like AB.

He has been using smoke and mirrors and parlor tricks to keep this team successful when we can't stretch a defense if we tried. The records he has attained with a dink and dunk offense the past few years is damn near miraculous. He did have to let Drew go out throwing I get it, but the man can't throw anymore plain and simple. We have been handicapped playing a 5 yard field against stacked defenses which is damn near impossible for years now and that needs to stop now and Thank God it will.

Mark my words next year with Jameis or another QB that a defense has to guard an entire field with and just cant stack a box for four quarters and you are going to see a much better offense. This is the same coach who made Kerry Collins a fantasy star back in the day when he was dog mess everywhere else. Made Tiki Barber an all purpose yardage machine when he was previously about to fumble his way out the league. We have the best mind in football watch what he does with an actual QB next year

I would like to know who are the bonafide legitimate deep speed threat WRs on this team, because somebody has to be running open downfield all game long if we are complaining that Drew "cant throw"?? Who is consistently getting open downfield, and i dont mean one play you can fish up from any game. ..

The fact that Teddy and Taysom didn’t throw downfield much either makes me wonder if the dink and dunk is what he wants to do now.

Sometimes the downfield throws were there but they couldn't pull the trigger for some reason. You can see on the film that on some plays the first read is in the intermediate/deep area.

SP tailored the offense for Drew and evolved over the years as Drew's arm strength declined. SP will always design his offense for his QB's strengths. He's done that everywhere he's been with success. I don't know who the next QB will be but I take comfort in knowing that SP will get the most out of him.

The man has been winning games with a QB who can't physically throw a football 15 yards anymore. He made Quincy Carter look like an actual QB. Kerry Collins made it to a Super Bowl with SP for crying out loud.

I agree but what kind of contract is he going to want.

It will depend on what other teams offer. Which, given what the market was last year AND the high number of quality QB options available this year, probably won’t be much.

Drew lost 5 games? I thought it was a team sport? And no, there was no one that could have helped us more than Brees this year.

agreed... last offseason, I was ready to move on. NOT because I didn’t think Brees was our best option but because as a spoiled fan, I didn’t think it was good enough to win a Super Bowl.

Assuming we could keep a similar roster, I think Brees could get us 10 plus wins but again, as a spoiled fan, I’m ready to start building a new Super Bowl roster which may or may not ever come... I just don’t believe it will come in our current situation and again, as a spoiled fan, 10 wins and an early playoff exit doesn’t do it anymore.

You guys are incredible....

Who would have got the team to 12 wins this season? Taysom? Winston?

People have forgotten already that Winston was let go from his team because he couldn't get it done in TB, despite having crazy WR talent around him. Taysom got to take the reins during a soft part of our schedule, and was only really effective his first few games...until opposing defenses got a few games worth of material to study & shut him down.

We could certainly do a lot worse than Winston & Hill, but neither of those guys have the football IQ that Drew does...and for better or worse...Drew is the 1 of the 3 that gave us our best shot at making a run for it.

I suppose we did too well each season to be able to land a high flyer QB in the draft, or to be able to pay a top QB talent FA....what a problem to have.

Enjoy the struggle to sniff .500 again
We did fine without Brees last season and this season. He’s a player, not god.

AGAIN, WHO ARE THE DEEP SPEED GUYS CONSISTENLY GETTING OPEN DOWNFIELD EVERY GAME ALL GAME LONG THAT DREW IS NEGLECTING TO THROW TO?? THE BEST WR IS A INTERMEDIATE TO SHORT PLAYMAKER, WHERE DO YOU THINK THE BALL IS GOING TO GO??

It's ok to say Winston you don't have to add (or another QB) for fear of being challenged by those who don't want to believe he's the contingency plan going forward.

I see this team looking like previous saints team with the seam route coming back to the offense and those deep shots down the sideline like in those Devery Henderson days come back with Winston and his big arm taking over

Who's the deep speed threats??

I'll be honest, as sad as I am to admit it's finally over with Drew, I am SO glad we don't have to talk about Drew's noodle arm anymore. Man, those threads were tired.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom