Payton has Coronavirus [CLOSED -- Old Thread] (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now imagine if the hospital didn't have any ventilators because there were 8-10x more people that need ventilators to live than there are ventilators. This healthy 45 year old man would have died.

Because that's what the governer of your state says is going to happen in 7 days.

Yeah, I know. I fully expect that New Orleans will be ordered into lock down within the next day or two and it probably should be done as soon as possible.

People should not panic, but you have to take this seriously. Stay in your home whenever possible and when not in it, stay away from other people. And, always wash your hands.

Best wishes Inside. You got a ton of SR Who Dats pulling for you! - dan
I'm actually P'Oed because I'm just fine. If I had a fever (which I've been monitoring when I wake up and go to bed) then I'd be concerned since I am somewhat immunocompromised. The hysteria over this is ridiculous. All you have to do is follow the very simple instructions of constantly washing your hands and staying 6' away from people as much as humanly possible.

Thanks for the well wishes anyway though. Much appreciated. You guys are like family, just family I've never actually met.

Now imagine if the hospital didn't have any ventilators because there were 8-10x more people that need ventilators to live than there are ventilators. This healthy 45 year old man would have died.

Because that's what the governer of your state says is going to happen in 7 days.

Those of you saying "it's just the flu and only old people will die" need to stop. This virus is 500 times more deadly for people between 20-50 than the flu is. The fact that there is a pocket of sentiment that "it's just the flu, party on!" is going to get people killed. If you are contributing to that sentiment, you are part of the problem.

I agree. And, by the way, I meant to write that he didn't have any prior medical issues. I have now edited the original post.

Nearly 40% of people hospitalized due to coronavirus are less than 54 yrs old... though the death rate for the group is extremely low. Hope coach makes a full recovery... And none of the players get it... since there is evidence that there could be lasting lung damage in some cases. That is not good for anyone, and definitely not for athletes who need to be in peak shape.

It's not mostly true... it's true... in all but some rare outlier cases....

I have gotten pneumonia from a case of the seasonal flu and had to be hospitalized at age 32... It happens.... mostly because (normally healthy) people wait too long to address it...

The issue with this is not mass death or extreme sickness... It never was.

It was always the fast spread rate, and the lack of a defense for it.... overwhelming the system.

I disagree about sickness - at least as a function of how well those in need can be treated. The percentage of known infected requiring hospital care is very high, substantially higher than seasonal or H1N1 flu. When numbers get high enough in any given community, the stress on the healthcare system grows to the point of breaking. Even if survival rates are quite high, hospitalization can drag them down if those in need are turned away due to limitations.

We saw it Wuhan, seeing it in Lombardy, and New York is getting to that point. I think the hospitalization rate is really the key metric in the big picture.

Not sure what age you are, but as a guy in my mid 40s, Payton being in his mid 50s or whatever is maybe not young, but also isnt elderly, which is the most vulnerable population when it comes to Covid 19.. Perspective is funny.

Same, just saying he isn't a guy in his 20s, that's all guys. There are people, like me and you, in their 40s, dying and/or suffering from this.

Living his normal life.

That's the point.

That's why we all are (or should be) practicing extreme social distancing.

If we live our normal lives, we all get it around the same time, our health care system gets overwhelmed, and lots of people die who would not have had to die for want of ventalators, ICU beds, etc.

That was exactly my point for those sensitive ppl. We ALL knew things needed to change from normal. This has been building for weeks and everyone only thinks of themselves. What about those who have pre-existings issues who Payton himself may have exposed while traveling?

In reality I was concerned because of his poor luck and the timing but many seem appalled by my comments. I personally stopped my own travels three weeks ago because I have family in the risk group. I know that the virus is no big deal to YOU but all I ask is that you think of the other who YOU may affect.

What I’ve been thru, the utter agony, I am not at all scared of this, for me.
And I’m inside can’t really get out, so I’m not spreading. And I’m very hygienic.
I am not in agony, and that means I’m thankful and not scared of this virus.

I got you, and see where you were going with it. Keep your chin up.

I mean, if you assume that the infection rate will be 100% (or even 50%), then well over a million people will die in the United States from it. I think that counts as mass deaths don't you?

Not down playing it... never did... just providing facts....

It's not... "just the flu"....

No one should think that...

But it also doesn't kill healthy people... nearly 100% of the time...

My point was to make sure people know this... the severity of this has always been the high spread rate... Lack of a vaccine.... It's threat to overwhelm the system.... and the serious danger it represents to our most vulnerable citizens.

And while tragic... In your worst case scenario of a million deaths (and highly unlikely).... I don't consider that "mass deaths"... since more people die in car crashes in the US every single year...

I want people to be smart, informed, and healthy.... not panicky, sick, or lack perspective.

This is not a black and white issue... I assume nothing... I make the best decision I can with the information available to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom