Payton just said he was responsible for Taysom’s play today. (3 Viewers)

This was run the clock out since we know they can't move the ball so hopefully we shorten the game and limit injuries...goal accomplished.

I think Jackrabbit either didn't get the message or ignored the message!

There was NO REASON [*in this game*] for him to run ACROSS THE FIELD on that INT.

Just run OB when they closed in.

He would have put a bad dent into the secondary if he had gotten badly injured when he twisted that ankle/knee.

ETA: Dagnabbit.

Let's compare that to some of Drew Breeses worst QB ratings the last couple of years (as per ESPN, don't know if they are comparable as they had T Hill at 33.8 QBR vs the Broncos). https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2580/type/nfl/year/2015

Brees has had on avg more than 1+ WORSE GAME (or very close to) than Taysom Hill had Sunday!!

2018 vs CAR = 24.3
2018 vs DAL = 17.9
2018 vs NYG = 33.6
2017 vs NE = 37.3
2016 bs Bucs = 26.9
2106 vs ATL = 38.3
2015 vs TEX = 25.5
2015 vs PHI = 22.0
2015 vs. Bucs = 22.7

Which of those did the Saints win?

... Reduce getting the ball to me because that gives me a lesser chance to get injured........Said no NFL player (heck any football player) ever.

How about:

Reduce getting the ball to me because that gives me a lesser chance to get injured, (or re-injured, or further injured)
and INCREASES the chances of the TEAM making it through the playoffs and on to the Super Bowl.

(Esp since the Saints handily won against the Falcons and Broncos...)

How about:

Reduce getting the ball to me because that gives me a lesser chance to get injured, (or re-injured, or further injured)
and INCREASES the chances of the TEAM making it through the playoffs and on to the Super Bowl.

(Esp since the Saints handily won against the Falcons and Broncos...)

I feel that way as a fan but I'm sure he doesn't feel that way as a player. CSP I'm sure doesn't feel that way as a coach since they were feeding him the ball up until Hill took the reins. Players wanna play and coaches wanna win. He's being smart as far as getting out of bounds and not fighting for extra yardage every time but I doubt he's saying give me less touches.

God bless Taysom. Gotta love the guy. However, he's a one read QB. And he is very hesitant on that one read. You can only mask that for so long. By this age, I'm not certain Taysom can develop into a survey the field go through the progressions QB. He surely isn't decisive when his one read is there and is very inconsistent with anticipation and trusting his WR and throwing before the break is made.

Yesterday, he didn't have to be a legit QB. I doubt Atlanta will come with the same plan; even then, Taysom was dog poo in the first half and didn't resemble a legit QB. I'm rooting for the guy, but if it gets to where the game and first seed is in question, I'm all for putting Winston on the field.

Odd that Brian Baldinger, in his excellent breakdown videos, specifically identifies Taysom's multiple read progressions. Payton has kept a short leash on Taysom; effectively nixing any ad-lib running on passing plays. In Atlanta and Denver, it was almost always, take the sack or throw it away. If it wasn't a called QB run he rarely took off until he was just about in the grasp.

I was thinking about this thread during the game yesterday. In retrospect, we have to give his claim a lot of credence.

set aside ball control issues for a moment since those are fixable to a degree. What I saw yesterday was very promising. The O-line got Taysom into several big down and distance holes yesterday, especially early. They did it both with penalty and giving up the sack. For most QBs in their first few starts those holes in down and distance are the kiss of death and usually the most you hope for is a really good punt. Hill was channeling Drew in some of those down and distance holes.

that to me was the most promising thing I saw yesterday. If you can't occasionally dig out of those holes, the best that you can aspire to is a game manager.

I was thinking about this thread during the game yesterday. In retrospect, we have to give his claim a lot of credence.

set aside ball control issues for a moment since those are fixable to a degree. What I saw yesterday was very promising. The O-line got Taysom into several big down and distance holes yesterday, especially early. They did it both with penalty and giving up the sack. For most QBs in their first few starts those holes in down and distance are the kids of death and usually the most you hope for is a really good punt. Hill was channeling Drew in some of those down and distance holes.

Agree completely. And he has the arm strength to fit the ball in places Drew doesn’t anymore.

Taysom shows a ton of promise. A lot more than I expected. The ball security issues are a fatal flaw if they can’t get fixed, but my guess is that if he spends an entire offseason and training camp working as QB1 and working on QB ball security drills, that will improve a lot.

Agree completely. And he has the arm strength to fit the ball in places Drew doesn’t anymore.

Taysom shows a ton of promise. A lot more than I expected. The ball security issues are a fatal flaw if they can’t get fixed, but my guess is that if he spends an entire offseason and training camp working as QB1 and working on QB ball security drills, that will improve a lot.

ball security in how he held it was the issue on most of them, including those he had before he got behind center full time three weeks ago. Carrying that ball away from his body. I will forgive that when you are still behind the LOS and the throw is still an option but once you cross the LOS then you need to be carrying the ball like a running back. Lets not forget that Hill never played RB so he can learn those fundamentals. And if he doesn't, as you say, it will be fatal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom