Payton just said he was responsible for Taysom’s play today. (1 Viewer)

It was cold and for a QB that’s only started 1 full game I’m not taking it too serious. However he should’ve had one of those crafty Fanny pack hand warmers QB’s wear.

Yeah I do. I think it's short sighted and UNREALISTIC to expect him to be Drew Brees. He is what he is, and so far he's 2-0 in two convincing wins where we controlled the game by running the ball.
Where did anyone say he should be playing like brees? Unrealistic? How about not fumbling the ball yet again,although he did recover and lose yards.
How about you brush up on your reading comprehension, make an objective, thought out response and then reply. Don't want you to continue putting your foot in your mouth

Game managers should be able to throw screen passes.

He threw exact screen to Kamara last week for 30 + yards.

He’s capable. Today he was indecisive because the plan changed at the last minute and he was given marching orders to eat the ball in most situations.

Have a memory people.

I disagree w/ this part. Sean is a stand up guy and admits when he's wrong. He did it with losing Malcolm Jenkins to the Eagles and he's admitted when he's wrong in game situations several times. Just this year he took credit for calling some poor games. He's shown accountability and will do so with Hill.
All of the talking heads keep bringing up how Sean was hailing Taysom as the next Saints QB and how good he is. I don't see him saying, "Hey guys, I was wrong" (If it turns out he is wrong).

Last week he admitted to calling a game that deliberately went against the national narrative that Taysom was a runner. That's just how he is. Personally, I dig it.

But none of that excuses the atrocious decision making. It doesn't excuse getting sacked after have 5 seconds in the pocket to scan the field. It doesn't excuse two straight games of not even acknowledging one of the deadliest pass catching RBs in the NFL. It doesn't excuse forcing balls into double coverage. It doesn't excuse not seeing wide open receivers constantly. There is no way to make having 3 yards passing in the first 29 minutes of the game look good. All three sacks were a result of him refusing to get rid of the ball. He double clutched on a screen pass when there wasn't a defender within ten yards of Kamara. Changing a gameplan doesn't excuse jettisoning the fundamentals of playing the QB position. Our best hope is that Taysom ate some cheese, got brought back down to earth, and will bounce back and crush the falcons next week. Well, that's what I'm hoping for anyway.

I haven't seen anyone questioning Payton for starting Taysom. He earned it after the falcons game. I think the discussion right now is whether or not Taysom can be a long term starter and whether or not today was just a speed bump or the beginning of a pattern.

I’m going with “speed bump”... Taysom Hill needs experience playing QB in the NFL. This was only his 2nd game ever doing so. Adversity can be a great teacher... and as I stated earlier in this thread.. the Saints are very fortunate that he was able to endure that “learning experience” and still come away with a lopsided victory.

I never thought he wouldn’t have struggles... and anyone that thought he was just going to be steady and consistent and immediately awesome at QB isn’t being realistic.

How he responds to this performance will be very important... does he correct it? ...and how quickly?

Just didn't want to throw him under the bus. Taysom was clearly not on his game today.

He’s capable. Today he was indecisive because the plan changed at the last minute and he was given marching orders to eat the ball in most situations.

Have a memory people.

I think that was Murray. We haven’t even utilized Kamara in the pass game the past two weeks. I understand he is nursing a foot injury, but Kamara is a “game managers” dream.

I think that was Murray. We haven’t even utilized Kamara in the pass game the past two weeks. I understand he is nursing a foot injury, but Kamara is a “game managers” dream.

It was Murray. Thanks. Point stands. And agreed.

I’ll post the video when it goes up. But he said Taysom played well and he was in Taysom’s ear “24/7” telling him to protect the ball.

That’s just what a good head coach do. Payton is absolutely not responsible for his poor play today just like he wasn’t completely responsible for his great 2nd half last week.

Have a memory people.
I sitting here rewatching the game. Hill was not nearly as off as it seemed.

The aborted screen to Kamara and the throw into double coverage to Cooks instead of Calloway were mistakes. Denver had good pressure on most passing plays and there wasn't much separation downfield.

And what is being taken for granted by much of this board is red-zone efficiency and short-yardage running has been outstanding the past two weeks.

I’m going with “speed bump”... Taysom Hill needs experience playing QB in the NFL. This was only his 2nd game ever doing so. Adversity can be a great teacher... and as I stated earlier in this thread.. the Saints are very fortunate that he was able to endure that “learning experience” and still come away with a lopsided victory.

I never thought he wouldn’t have struggles... and anyone that thought he was just going to be steady and consistent and immediately awesome at QB isn’t being realistic.

How he responds to this performance will be very important... does he correct it? ...and how quickly?

^^^^THIS

I didn’t jump on board with him being the next great thing after a solid outing last week and I won’t jump off board with a poor showing this week. It was his first road start in a long time against a coach who is a great defensive mind.

I won’t even have a good feel for his future after 4 weeks. Let’s just wait it out and see. Let things play out and let’s see if little things start to improve. We need time to evaluate. Not to be overemotional with any outcome whether good or bad.

People need to understand how important a week of preparation, reps, and game planning is to a inexperienced QB and how that reflects in the on field play.... and then realize that week long plan was scrapped like yesterday - and then was replaced with a polished turd specificity designed to not lose at the last possible moment with no live practice on it.

Then realize Taysoms decisions were taken from him this week. He had no idea what he was looking for. Yet still scored 2 TDS in a blowout road win.

Have some sense of perspective people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom