Payton just said he was responsible for Taysom’s play today. (1 Viewer)

The Saints ran 63 plays on offense, and Taysom Hill only attempted 16 passes... I would guess there were less than 25 intended pass plays of those 63 (counting sacks and scrambles).

38% of the 63 plays were called as pass plays... that’s a very run-heavy approach.

I believe what Payton said... but Taysom Hill did not look good on like 88% of those intended passing plays. No doubt there’s still plenty of work to be done.

The Saints ran 63 plays on offense, and Taysom Hill only attempted 16 passes... I would guess there were less than 25 intended pass plays of those 63 (counting sacks and scrambles).

38% of the 63 plays were called as pass plays... that’s a very run-heavy approach.

I believe what Payton said... but Taysom Hill did not look good on like 88% of those intended passing plays. No doubt there’s still plenty of work to be done.

I doubt any QB starting their 2nd NFL game would look good with a game plan that was scrapped and probably scribbled on a napkin on the plane ride to Denver.

That’s just a guess though. Lol

Where did anyone say he should be playing like brees? Unrealistic? How about not fumbling the ball yet again,although he did recover and lose yards.
How about you brush up on your reading comprehension, make an objective, thought out response and then reply. Don't want you to continue putting your foot in your mouth

Calm down Bob, I am being objective. Are you upset he screwed up your fantasy team or something? He's a back up QB who plays every offensive skill position, filling in for our future HOF injured QB, and you're in here after a 31-3 beat down complaining. He's gonna be best at running the ball and hitting shots down the field. His presence on the field opens up opportunities for his teammates. He's not a pocket passer but he is a playmaker. Instead of getting all worked up over a decision you have no part in, why don't you just enjoy what he brings to the table. There will be plenty of time to belly moan after a loss. All this crying by you and others is cringe worthy.

Last edited:
I get it... the gameplan going in was to have Taysom manage the game and don't make any mistakes, because everyone knew that the Broncos would have a tough time scoring points. you don't want to give them any points... make them earn it. Run the ball. Protect the ball. Take sacks rather than take chances with the throws. It makes perfect sense. Again I get it.

However...

When Taysom was asked to drop back and make throws he totally went against the gameplan. Some throws that he made were in double/triple coverage. That's not "protecting the ball". I totally understand taking the sacks... if nothing is there just protect the ball and take the sack. But again... some of his decisions in this game were terrible. The pick that he threw he forced it in to Mike T and the defender deflected it for the easy pick. That was the only terrible decisions that he made that he didn't get away with. Other times the ball fell to the turf instead of in the broncos defender's hands for the pick.

A couple sacks that he took he had wide open receivers... instead of going through his reads he locked in on one guy (mostly MT) and missed other open guys.

I commend Payton for changing the gameplan to make Taysom more/less a "bus driver", and I also commend him for going to bat for his QB, but Taysom needs to make better decisions when he's asked to throw the ball.

I said this in the 1st quarter. Sean handcuffed him and made this ugly. Taysom made bad decisions because he wasn’t given decisions to make.

It was obvious and ugly. But the plan today was win ugly.

Not an excuse because he has to be better in those situations. The situation dictated a dumbed down offense and that’s what we got.

I expect Taysom to look like Taysom from last week- next week.
I have an inkling Payton was telling him to make 1-2 reads then protect the ball to limit big plays by their defence. I also have an inkling that series we threw the INT, that Payton also told him to get the ball out on purpose to knock those safeties back, obviously it resulted in a INT. But again I’m almost certain that this was a big cause of what we saw today.

It might be crazy to assume, but what if Taysom didn’t have the best game against a good defense AND the game plan was intentionally small in order to open it up more against Atlanta.

I get it... the gameplan going in was to have Taysom manage the game and don't make any mistakes, because everyone knew that the Broncos would have a tough time scoring points. you don't want to give them any points... make them earn it. Run the ball. Protect the ball. Take sacks rather than take chances with the throws. It makes perfect sense. Again I get it.

However...

When Taysom was asked to drop back and make throws he totally went against the gameplan. Some throws that he made were in double/triple coverage. That's not "protecting the ball". I totally understand taking the sacks... if nothing is there just protect the ball and take the sack. But again... some of his decisions in this game were terrible. The pick that he threw he forced it in to Mike T and the defender deflected it for the easy pick. That was the only terrible decisions that he made that he didn't get away with. Other times the ball fell to the turf instead of in the broncos defender's hands for the pick.

A couple sacks that he took he had wide open receivers... instead of going through his reads he locked in on one guy (mostly MT) and missed other open guys.

I commend Payton for changing the gameplan to make Taysom more/less a "bus driver", and I also commend him for going to bat for his QB, but Taysom needs to make better decisions when he's asked to throw the ball.

I don’t think that was the game plan all week long. And that’s the point.

The plan was changed to that only when the news came down that the Broncos had no QBs. Like - Yesterday - with no reps on what we did today in the game.

Giving an inexperienced QB almost no time to adjust.

Today was the result of that. And Sean owned it.

I have an inkling Payton was telling him to make 1-2 reads then protect the ball to limit big plays by their defence. I also have an inkling that series we threw the INT, that Payton also told him to get the ball out on purpose to knock those safeties back, obviously it resulted in a INT. But again I’m almost certain that this was a big cause of what we saw today.
I think there is something to the "play it safe" scenario, but man this was just bad quarterbacking. Receivers running open and he was just stuck in neutral. Could not pull the trigger.

Arians: Our offense depends on the QB. If he plays well, we win. If he doesn’t, we won’t.

Payton: Our offense can put up 30 points even if the QB plays like poo.

I am not giving up on T Hill anytime soon and neither is Payton. He did run for 2 touchdowns today and did a lot to win that game.

He was being careful to not make a mistake. Too careful. Looked tight today. Definitely missed open receivers. Struggled with screen passes as well. Only second start. He will be great. Give him more time.

He is a winner. Already better in his second start than a long list of past Saints QBs.

Everyone needs to chill. Replacing Brees long term is a tough gig. You have to start somewhere.

I don’t think that was the game plan all week long. And that’s the point. The plan was changed to that only when the news came down that the Broncos had no QBs.

Giving an inexperienced QB almost no time to adjust.

Today was the result of that. And Sean owned it.

Payton didn't call any plays in today's game that haven't been repped repeatedly. When he said "changed the gameplan" he didn't mean "we're gonna run a bunch of stuff that we've never run before".

My whole point in my post was that when he was asked to pass.. he made some poor decisions. I think everyone could agree that Taysom will need to play much better next week with a full gameplan. If not we'll need to hope the Falcons QB room gets hit with COVID too.

Payton didn't call any plays in today's game that haven't been repped repeatedly. When he said "changed the gameplan" he didn't mean "we're gonna run a bunch of stuff that we've never run before".

My whole point in my post was that when he was asked to pass.. he made some poor decisions. I think everyone could agree that Taysom will need to play much better next week with a full gameplan. If not we'll need to hope the Falcons QB room gets hit with COVID too.

Not saying that either. These were plays we have run before. Like 12. Lol. Of the same ones. All safe with the explicit instructions to eat the ball or throw it away in most situations.

Knowing that Taysom could run us to a win because the opposition couldn’t score.

The plan was changed. Over the course of 24 hours. It was obvious.

That lends itself to poor decisions by an inexperienced QB against a good defense that knows what’s coming but couldn’t stop it for 70 or so plays.

Taysom will be the same Taysom we saw last week - next week.

He was handcuffed this week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom