Payton on Davenport (1 Viewer)

Rumor, and a very good source who hasn't missed on Davenport yet, tells me the Saints are frustrated as well as some of his former UTSA coaches with Davenport. Saints even fielded trade options when they thought they had a shot at Clowney. The Saints are frustrated with his injuries. I tried to dig-in here to see if it was related to conditioning. I got a weak, "partially."

Last year when Marcus bravely announced his fight with Depression, I was told that Marcus depression had him kinda hibernating during the summer and not joining in with his fellow teammates for offseason workouts. That's why I pushed on the "conditioning" aspect but didn't get a strong answer.

They are worried about his ability to push off after the 2 foot injuries, but what I got repeatedly is that the Saints are "frustrated" with Marcus. Don't be stunned if Marcus gets traded this year or offseason.

I hope this is wrong but I doubt it.

With the way Hendrickson and Granderson took turns playing "body slam Tom Brady", why rush Davenport back?

It is incredible how Jeff Ireland and Ryan Nielsen have turned around the defensive line.

It really is. We've come a long way since the days of Bobby Richardson, Paul Kruger, John Jenkins, and Brod Bunkley. In 2015 we were so hard pressed at DE that Bobby Richardson came in as an undrafted free agent, won the starting job and was never heard from again after that season.

I don't anyone is critical of the team's management of Davenport and wants him to play when medically he should not be playing. But I do think most are becoming frustrated by the lack of playing time he has missed since he was drafted. And a reason for the frustration--for both fans and organization--is the price the Saints paid to trade up to select a player from a small college-football program; that high price set high expectations for production, which in my view have not been met and may never be met. I do not believe that we would have seen the Saints' extraordinary effort to sign Clowney if the coaching staff truly expected Davenport to quickly return and be the type of player it thought Davenport would be in year three. Something seems amiss.

Further, Payton could lessen the media and public interest in when Davenport might be returning by simply being more transparent as to when he is likely to return. He doesn't have to release Davenport's diagnostic test results, simply indicate the nature of the elbow injury and an expected return date.

Last edited:
It is incredible how Jeff Ireland and Ryan Nielsen have turned around the defensive line.

Well I mean, they have spent a first round pick on a fat guy (d-line or o-line) for 6 straight years. The lines better be amazing

The most incredible feat is being able to stock the roster with elite skill players in later rounds so they have the luxury of using all the first rounders on the trenches.

Rumor, and a very good source who hasn't missed on Davenport yet, tells me the Saints are frustrated as well as some of his former UTSA coaches with Davenport. Saints even fielded trade options when they thought they had a shot at Clowney. The Saints are frustrated with his injuries. I tried to dig-in here to see if it was related to conditioning. I got a weak, "partially."

Last year when Marcus bravely announced his fight with Depression, I was told that Marcus depression had him kinda hibernating during the summer and not joining in with his fellow teammates for offseason workouts. That's why I pushed on the "conditioning" aspect but didn't get a strong answer.

They are worried about his ability to push off after the 2 foot injuries, but what I got repeatedly is that the Saints are "frustrated" with Marcus. Don't be stunned if Marcus gets traded this year or offseason.

I hope this is wrong but I doubt it.
At this point, I just hope we get a Percy Harvin like return on our investment from Marcus.

Meaning we make the Super Bowl, he has a dominating game that reminds us why we drafted him, and forever more we will be content knowing that he may not have been what we dreamed of but he at least did his one job in the Super Bowl that we invested in him for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom