Payton on the Gardner-Johnson Trade (1 Viewer)

Are you guys even Saints Fans anymore, why is every thread a negative Saints as an Organization thread or a passive aggressive shot at Dennis Allen and or Mickey Loomis? were people questioning Payton when he traded Brandin Cooks (he's continued to perform) but people got over it.
I never did....we almost had 3x 1,000 receivers: Michael Thomas, Brandin Cooks and Willie Snead.

Good times

I am sure most of you have seen or heard the report that Payton, commenting on the Gardner-Johnson trade, called the trade a "steal" for Philadelphia and questioned the reasons that the Saints made the trade. At the time it was made, many on this forum were critical of the trade. In retrospect, the trade looks even worse. He had nearly as many interceptions (6) as the entire Saints defense (7).

I repeat an assertion I have made many times: Sean Payton does little by accident, and there is nearly always a reason for his public comments. So why did Payton use language so blunt when talking about the trade and the player?

My take is not that Payton was taking a gratuitous shot at the Saints organization, but that he was sending a signal to the player, who should be a free agent shortly, that he would be welcomed in Denver
SP
IS
AS
CALCULATED
AS
THEY
COME

Are you guys even Saints Fans anymore, why is every thread a negative Saints as an Organization thread or a passive aggressive shot at Dennis Allen and or Mickey Loomis? were people questioning Payton when he traded Brandin Cooks (he's continued to perform) but people got over it.
Losing Sean has been and will continue to be hard to deal with for a lot of Saints fans. It will no doubt become much harder for many here if the Broncos suddenly become the team to beat in the league. However, it really will be best for every Saints fan to throw in their support to those who are now in charge of creating the new era of Saints football.

While there is nothing wrong with watching/admiring the new regime in Denver, it doesn't help anyone's psyche to keep comparing what we once had to what we have now, or will have going forward. After the Mora era in New Orleans it seemed like we were grabbing at straws trying to find the right combination of players and coaches to produce a true contender.

Yes we finally found it in Sean Payton. But as some have pointed out already, Sean wasn't going to last forever. We will either have to give our support to the new Saints regime or follow another team for a while. I trust that most Saints fans will still be Saints fans even long after Dennis Allen is no longer pacing the sidelines. And they will be supportive of whoever is next in line.

It's hard to say what kind of name Sean will make for himself in Denver. It's also hard to say if he would have continued to have success if he had stayed in the Big Easy. But somehow I get the feeling that if/when Sean Payton gets voted into the HOF, he will be wearing a black & gold tie. This is where he made his name, and that will probably the next time we will see his name officially mentioned as being part of the Saints organization.

But for now, it's time to pull for all the guys who are now calling the shots. If we're going to continue to follow/support the Saints, we really have no other choice.

I am sure most of you have seen or heard the report that Payton, commenting on the Gardner-Johnson trade, called the trade a "steal" for Philadelphia and questioned the reasons that the Saints made the trade. At the time it was made, many on this forum were critical of the trade. In retrospect, the trade looks even worse. He had nearly as many interceptions (6) as the entire Saints defense (7).

I repeat an assertion I have made many times: Sean Payton does little by accident, and there is nearly always a reason for his public comments. So why did Payton use language so blunt when talking about the trade and the player?

My take is not that Payton was taking a gratuitous shot at the Saints organization, but that he was sending a signal to the player, who should be a free agent shortly, that he would be welcomed in Denver

Somebody needs to ask Payton why the Saints have to let key players go like CJGJ and TRex because they don't have cap space. I guess that's DA's fault too.

:frack:

Interesting hypothesis!

You could be on to something!

Somebody needs to ask Payton why the Saints have to let key players go like CJGJ and TRex because they don't have cap space. I guess that's DA's fault too.

:frack:
Honestly, for all the talk of us getting fleeced, any team can go look at publicly available Spotrac data and see the Saints are in a salary cap bind for the next two years. Any smart GM would call looking to get quality talent at a discount. And Loomis can either take what he can get or resort to cuts or letting other quality players walk without an extension.

Payton traded Graham, Hicks, Cooks, and Stills for being distractions or for being argumentative or openly chirping about contracts and such. This idea he would have placated CJGJ is pretty funny as is the idea that CJGJ would have been intimidated by Payton. That just goes against his personality.

But yeah Payton needs to keep his new house in order. He has a lot of work to do.

IF some here remember, when SP showed up in 2006, he took immediate control. He made Wayne Gandy his target ( the story about removing his LAzy Boy recliner from locker room etc ) and traded him not long after his arrival.

Setting tone. ( but it could have gone all wrong too - it didnt )

I think DA attempted to "recreate' something similar. DA coulndt get CJGJ back into the fold and felt the need to show his toughness and traded him.

Unfortunate and circles back to the comment Schlereth provided about "fear".

Sean carried that gravitas....DA hasnt earned it.

Source?

I think that trade was easier to swallow for most because Michael Thomas was catching everything thrown his way. After the CGJ trade, the safety play wasn’t something that wowed anyone.

Source? For what? Payton's comments? There is a link to the comments in a post on the first page of this thread.

Incidentally, one of the opening comments today by Gus Kattengell on the Sports Hangover was Payton's remarks on the trade.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom