Payton plans on keeping Deuce per Rotoworld.com (1 Viewer)

its not smart to keep a rb on payroll with 2 blown knees, we all love deuce, but come on keeping him may mean us bein unable to depend on him or his knees in the playoffs or maybe the super bowl

I truly believe this is a case of mind over matter. Kevin Everett was NEVER supposed to walk again, but he did. If Deuce wants to come back, I think that he will. I have seen many things happen first hand that defied both logic and fact. I know the odds are against him, but give him the chance. For all he has done for us on and off the field, he deserves it.

Without the words "after restructuring his contract" following "keeping Deuce" i'm not sold on it personally.

We're not going to shell out a $1 million dollar roster bonus on March 1st in order to cut him in June. So if we pay the roster bonus, short of something catastrophic in his rehab where he can't play anymore, he's here for 2008.

Alright, for all of you clamoring for a "restructure," thats not a good thing in someone like Deuce's case. What we want is a paycut. Restructures normally involve converting upcoming non-guaranteed money (base salary, incentives) into guaranteed money down the road, to more evenly space out cap hits. With someone in Deuce's condition, the less guaranteed money the better.

I don't care how much money he gets. I just care about how much affects the cap...

I think Deuce will have more value as a locker room guy rather than a his running ability. I've never had any torn knee ligaments (knock on wood), but man its gotta be tough to come back from 2 (one in each knee even)... at age 29... I'm prayin for ya Deuce.

Jamal Lewis did and ran for over 2000 yards in a season, after blowing both knees out, one at Tennessee and one after his rookie year in Baltimore. I think Priest Holmes also blew out one in each knee before having all the success he had in KC. Deuce is still on the good side of 30; and his body still heals quickly. The last 4 years Deuce has not been used properly. I blame Haslett for trying to go to singleback and not having a good offensive line. I blame Payton for trying to accelerate Reggie's "learning curve" instead of relying on his bread and butter, the man who has always opened up the offense and worn down defenders, no matter who is at QB, Deuce McCallister. You had to be blind to not see what Deuce meant in 2006, and how specifically we struggled without him this year. Deuce isn't losing any skills or running ability, we simply don't have roadgraders, or powerful run blockers who can move the pile against physical defense or quick defenses. That is not Deuce's fault. Add to that the 4 week lag the coach had in altering his gameplan once Chicago figured us and Indy, Tampa, and Tennessee stopped us when it all could have been avoided if we had simply lined up and ran it down their throats. We have the running back for it, and the offensive line is capable most of the time, but somewhere it has to be a coaching philosophy, and if the misdirection and cute plays aren't working, Payton needs to hand it to Deuce and leave Reggie split out.

its not smart to keep a rb on payroll with 2 blown knees, we all love deuce, but come on keeping him may mean us bein unable to depend on him or his knees in the playoffs or maybe the super bowl

It is better, way better, to have two blown knees than to have reoccuring problems with the same knee. It is also kind of common, becuase in most cases, you build up the knee you blew out stronger than it was before, streghthening all the muscles in that leg. The bad thing is sometimes you overcompensate with the other. Deuce's rehab is coming along better than his last one and he had over 1000 yards rushing with only something like 160 carries, something like a 4.6 ypc average, which is insane to touch the ball that little and have that much production. If our coach doesnt try to get too cute and our offensive line starts the season with their s**** straight, I don't see any reason Deuce can't do the same thing this year, if not better becuase maybe our coach uses Reggie as he should be used as well instead of taking away from Deuce. If anyones contract needs to be restructured, it is Reggie Bush's and Charles Grants.

I think people are just ready for change, and there hoping he doesn't make it back, but its a wait and see type thing, he has to fail before you can say its time to move on, and its obvious one of his knees are fine since he ran for 1,000yrds on it, so its really only one knee we should be concerned about, in which case he can probably churn out another 1,000yrd season since we have seen him do it on a repaired knee...he is not coming back from blowing 2 knees and if it was that bad you'd hear about it....look at Cadillac Williams, there are rumors ramped about his career because of his injury, not so much for Duece, people are just concerned about his price tag, he wont hold this team back, he can only help this team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom