Payton says he's closer to being "a lot" worried about the secondary than he is to not being worried; says the breakdowns are a "$6 mil" question (1 Viewer)

Literally one of the best safeties in the past decade is a free agent.

I don’t care if he yelled at someone at practice. He’s worth getting on the field that needs help. Heck we have a player that punched someone in the face.

And he won a super bowl as DC with the NY giants before coming here. So basically he has succeeded everywhere as a DC except here.
Well that was the dumpster-fire suspension year of 2012. I think Payton came back in 2013 looking to shake things up due to the poor defensive performance of that season. I wonder what would have happened if Sean kept Spags around and allowed him to develop the defense.

I would never blame Spags for that 2012 defense. That whole season was a cluster of massive proportions.

Saints need to make a move (any move) in the defensive secondary... If for nothing else, just to shake things up and/or wake people up/kill the status quo... a trade, a demotion, a release, a benching... anything... this is more than some communication issue or something they need to clean up at this point.... It's regularity/normal occurrence... and I am sure Sean is aware... question is... what will he do about it?

Can Taysom play safety? Jk. But kind of not. Lol. We’ve got to figure something out fast. If a guy(s) not getting it done, we need to try someone else. We’re not firing the DC mid-season in Brees’ last year, so we have to focus on fielding the best options and hope the coaches can put them in the best positions.

Well that was the dumpster-fire suspension year of 2012. I think Payton came back in 2013 looking to shake things up due to the poor defensive performance of that season. I wonder what would have happened if Sean kept Spags around and allowed him to develop the defense.

I would never blame Spags for that 2012 defense. That whole season was a cluster of massive proportions.

You're one of a few. He was set up for failure. Had to keep Sean's friends as assistants, few moves allowed with players. But in the end, everything was his fault.

Why? Allen and Glenn can coach up til the cows come home and they still go and screw things up on the field. Problem is we have no depth with the ability to replace the underperformers.

Remember Steve Spagnuolo? We ran him out of town calling him the worse DC ever. He went to KC with the same scheme and won a championship with them. Coaches can only do so much before you have to hold the scrub players accountable (looking at you, Marcus).

It's funny you bring up Spags, I actually have a post in a different thread talking about how much the Saints whiffed on him. Spags really got the short-end here.

While it is easy to blame Marcus Williams who has stunk it up, as a whole there is a lot to be alarmed about when it comes to Allen and/or Glenn. What is the excuse for Malcolm Jenkins, Patrick Robinson, and Janoris Jenkins? They were named to the All Pro team with their previous teams. Why have they regressed so much here? How does Lattimore go from Defensive Rookie of the Year to allowing 16 yards per completion? Lattimore had a stretch in 2017 where he didn't allow 16 yards total across multiple games. PJ Williams wasn't working at CB so now they're trying him at Safety and its not working there either. CGJ22 went from being a monster in 2019 to a muffin 2020. I'm terrified that the starting secondary looks lost and confused, because if this is the starting group, how badly overwhelmed are the backups? The only first year starter in the entire Saints defense is Malcolm Jenkins. How are they this lost? This confused? It's not good and it is no surprise Payton is starting to get vocal about the defense.

The only first year starter in the entire Saints defense is Malcolm Jenkins. How are they this lost?

This is what worries me the most. It would be one thing if this could be boiled down to growing pains of a young defense with no real offseason. But as you mentioned, this is a group of people who have played together for many games. Williams and Latt, when healthy - have started every game since 2017 under this same defensive coordinator and scheme. J. Jenkins and P.Rob are vets and both were here last year. Malcolm Jenkins is new here this year but played under Allen in 09'-10'.

There is just no logical reason why the secondary has regressed so much.

Williams is still making rookie mistakes. He does not seem focused at all. Jenkins has been a major disappointment at best.

You know who else makes $6 million/year with his new team?
1603746243575.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom