Payton says he's closer to being "a lot" worried about the secondary than he is to not being worried; says the breakdowns are a "$6 mil" question (1 Viewer)

They don't publish defensive coordinator salaries but Dennis Allen's contract is for 3 years. $6mil total might fit the bill.
I was going to ask is the "6 mil" jab towards Allen.

After the Panthers finally punted there was a shot of Payton saying something to Allen. Who knows what was said but I'm sure Payton let's people know what's up. Especially after these remarks about the secondary.

Marcus Williams needs to go. was good rookie year and last year in coverage was underrated af should've actually went to the pro bowl but man just doesn't know how to tackle even after 4 years smh.. how can you possibly get worse in a defensive system to the fact that your giving away such HUGE open field all of the sudden.. like how is that even possible you've played the same defense for years now. People backed him up after his mistackle on diggs and so did I but he's run his last course. I want him out, can't stand him anymore he's the reason we missed out on a Super Bowl in 2017. go get Earl Thomas or Harrison Smith.. Marcus just aint it chief, ill be very disappointed if we sign him again if he continues make rookie mistakes again

I’ll tell you what he needs to be worried about is that they don’t know who is messing up. Really!! Do they not have film on every play? I don’t know what game he is trying to pull over us with that statement. That is kind of insulting our intelligence with that answer. They know exactly what is wrong and who is making the mistake and I got a sneaky feeling his number is 43.

Actually, this comment should raise a flag. Usually Payton says things like “We have to be better and that starts with me.” Last time he said something about being worried about a specific aspect of a team, he brought in someone to help with ST. Before that, the same thing happened with bringing in defensive help. I’m hoping that’s what happens here.
I'm just happy he's saying something publicly about it. Hopefully that means we are finally going to address it and fix it.

While trying to find a silver lining for the defense there is one good trend. Since our loss to the Packers, the defense is allowing less points each game.
- pack: 37
- Lions: 29
- Chargers: 27
- Panthers: 24

Hope we keep trending in that direction and hold the Bears to 23 points or less.

Our secondary stinks so bad right now, that I would be throwing the ball on every down if I were the opposition. Every down.
For real, like who cares if the Saints know 100% that the opposing team is passing every down. I’d bet my bottom dollar we couldn’t stop them.

I think it boils down to our defensive scheme being lazy and over confident because we have so MUCH talent. Rushing four and sitting in a zone does not utilize our talent very well. Bring an extra man to pressure the QB every play and watch our secondary all of a sudden look good again.

I think it boils down to our defensive scheme being lazy and over confident because we have so MUCH talent. Rushing four and sitting in a zone does not utilize our talent very well. Bring an extra man to pressure the QB every play and watch our secondary all of a sudden look good again.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Looking at the good defenses currently in the NFL they bring blitzes from all over at least 20% of the time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom