Payton says he's closer to being "a lot" worried about the secondary than he is to not being worried; says the breakdowns are a "$6 mil" question (1 Viewer)

I doubt Payton does anything mid-season, but if you're Dennis Allen and Aaron Glenn, you're sweating profusely now.
They shouldn't. I'm a big Payton guy but this isn't the first time he's barked at the defensive shortcomings. Then we see the same act on Sunday. Rinse. Lather. Repeat. Unfortunately.

They shouldn't. I'm a big Payton guy but this isn't the first time he's barked at the defensive shortcomings. Then we see the same act on Sunday. Rinse. Lather. Repeat. Unfortunately.

Really? I feel like his comments during the week (after analyzing film) are more calculated and any comments usually carry a bit more weight.

Actually, this comment should raise a flag. Usually Payton says things like “We have to be better and that starts with me.” Last time he said something about being worried about a specific aspect of a team, he brought in someone to help with ST. Before that, the same thing happened with bringing in defensive help. I’m hoping that’s what happens here.

It is the obvious mistakes in coverage that is maddening to me. When you see Marcus flow to the out route supporting a cb when a WR is speeding right past him up the field (results a TD) it is unexplainable. Sadly we see things regularly in every game this year that is frankly keeping this team middle of the pack. I am one also that believes that Marcus Williams has regressed significantly in the last two years and for me I have to question coaching. I might add that it also shows up in other defensive players giving me reason to further question coaching on the defense overall. I am not sure how this gets fixed easily this year.

I took up for MW two weeks ago when someone accused him of being the culprit on that long touchdown when it was actually PJ. But he essentially did the exact same thing yesterday. He bit on a short rout (on the outside with CB help) instead of the guy streaking right towards (and past) him down the middle. It’s beyond ridiculous.

Actually, this comment should raise a flag. Usually Payton says things like “We have to be better and that starts with me.” Last time he said something about being worried about a specific aspect of a team, he brought in someone to help with ST. Before that, the same thing happened with bringing in defensive help. I’m hoping that’s what happens here.
He needs to do something.

The regression on this defense is unacceptable, and there is no tomorrow for a Super Bowl run.

I feel the difference is that I think when Payton finally moved on from Vitt, Johnson, and McMahon, he freed himself of that habit of letting someone get away with murder simply because he's friends with them.

While Allen and Glenn have given cause for concern in previous years, they always did right the ship enough to recover and make the Saints defense respectable.

This season it has simply not been the story. We're six games in and the pass defense is still a "do whatever you want to it" problem. Can't blame the defensive line when it is busted coverages everywhere and he has instant easy reads. Not even Rickey Jackson could get to the QB in time with how bad the secondary is.

He needs to do something.

The regression on this defense is unacceptable, and there is no tomorrow for a Super Bowl run.

I would imagine he and Allen are locked in a room discussing changes as we speak. Good news for us is there is still some talent on this D and injuries have not hit us hard in terms of season ending stuff. I still would not be shocked if they find a way to make drastic improvements slowly but surely. It would not be the first time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom