Payton self analysis (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
One of the real weaknesses (and I realize they’ve won a lot) of the Saints during the Payton regime is how poor the defense has played in the end half and end game situations. My question is why?
I think a lot of the problem is Coach Payton seems to ignore the clock in those situations and goes balls to the wall to score as quick as possible when Saints have the ball and seems to always leave enough time for the opponent to drive for a score. He even likes to use his timeouts when opponents stall which frequently backfired when they end up converting first downs and continue scoring drives. He’s always thinking as an offensive coach and frequently puts his defense in tough situations.
I’ll give the latest example from this past Sunday. After Taysom got Saints first down at Vikings 20 with a little over 4 minutes to play, Saints throw on first down. At that point on the field, Saints would seem to have at least a tying FG assured. Shouldn’t Payton’s goal at that point be to use some clock while scoring a TD. A couple of runs and a 3rd down conversion inside the ten would run 2:00 of the clock. Then if Saints tie or take lead, Vikings would have become pass happy with less time to drive.
Against the Rams last year when Drew goes to the sidelines with two minutes left in tie game with Saints at the Rams 13 yard line, he says to the coach, let’s be smart here. Rams had 2 timeouts. A first down wins the game so running the ball three times makes Rams use their TOs then runs the clock down to about a minute. Brees says let’s be smart and what does Payton tell Brees..,he wants a TD so they come out throwing. Payton had no concept that a first down was better than a TD! So they come out throwing, get incomplete , no TO by Rams and no time off the clock. Yes got screwed and should have won anyway but Payton was way off in his thinking.
Coach needs somebody in the organization to teach him the right strategies in those end half and end game situations.

You score by any means necessary. Is he supposed to run 3 times to burn clock in hopes they get another first down? What if they get stuffed or an incomplete pass and no TD? I don't get that line of thinking.
You understand there are other ways to control the clock?

Like controlling at what point you snap the ball during the play clock. Snapping it with just 3-4 seconds vs 15-18 seconds is a huge difference. That cost us dearly in the 49ers game.

He said in his presser that he thought keeping the timeout vs allowing the Vikings to run 40 crucial seconds off the clock was more valuable. Well that tells you everything you need to know. He has no clue about clock management.

Would you rather Drew have 2:35 left and no timeouts at our 30 yard line or 1:55 and 1 timeout? That's technically a rhetorical question.

Another example is the designed deep pass play which was the interception. They got that play off with 2:17 on the clock, 25 seconds on the play clock and 2 timeouts. Why go for a huge play there? Let it run down to the 2 minute warning, pick the best play you have. There was plenty of time and no reason to do it. Reckless.

Like controlling at what point you snap the ball during the play clock. Snapping it with just 3-4 seconds vs 15-18 seconds is a huge difference. That cost us dearly in the 49ers game.

He said in his presser that he thought keeping the timeout vs allowing the Vikings to run 40 crucial seconds off the clock was more valuable. Well that tells you everything you need to know. He has no clue about clock management.

Would you rather Drew have 2:35 left and no timeouts at our 30 yard line or 1:55 and 1 timeout? That's technically a rhetorical question.
Im not arguing that. He must have been loaded on vicodin because his clock management was dumb as was his reasoning.

It would have been 2:55 and no TOs but the two minute warning still available or 1:55 left and a TO.
Next question is would you rather have 32 seconds left at the 27 with no TOs or spike play, lose a down and 21 seconds left with a TO.
The obvious answer to the first question was the former while the second question is a tossup. You can’t factor into the second the 10 second runoff because the decision was called for as soon as Cooks went down.

I think Payton struggles with all or nothing thinking. He is afraid that if he used the clock as an alley that he is admitting his defense isn’t that good. Rather than taking every advantage available he has, he let’s all or nothing thinking get in the way.

Paytons biggest problem is continually feeling like he has to live up to the 'offensive genius' label.

He gets too cute when its not necessary. Running the ball is too boring for him. When successful coaches find something that works, they ride it until its raw, Payton equates that to creating a perception that he isn't the offensive wizard he is cracked up to be. The run game is going well, naturally he throws or has some gimmick play that loses yardage and torpedoes a drive. Taysom Hill is the only thing the Vikings cant stop, he comes out of the game. Its a constant with Payton, trying to be too cute, too much.

If its not that, its Mike Zimmer.

Last edited:
I agree with everything. Payton has always had issues with clock management and I think it’s because no has the you what to tell him something about it. After the Taysom run I thought we had the game just because I knew we could milk the clock or force the Vikings to use their TOs. Then you score a TD and force Cousins to beat you late with a TD. I just didn’t see that happening with having the momentum. I still don’t understand why he took the ball out of Tsysom’s hands in that last drive.

Payton needs to give up his offensive play calling duties to Carmichael and Payton needs to focus on being a head coach who can manage the game in all 3 phases and control the flow of the game.

Unfortunate that Sean isn't more committed to the run.

Even though the Vikes didn't have a good ypc avg, credit Zimmer for staying committed to the run. Good D and a efficient run game travels. Especially in the playoffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom