Payton talks!! (Merged Regarding Vilma, Smith, Harper, and Rob Ryan) (1 Viewer)

Harper won't be cut. There isn't enough of a cap savings. If they really want to save money, they'd try to re-do his contract. Of course, I think he'd have a break out year in Rob Ryan's 3-4, since he'll likely be playing closer to the LOS.

Vilma and Smith are a different story. Too much financial benefit to cutting them. Really hope they work out a new contract. I'd really like to keep Vilma. Smith may benefit from a change, so he can stay in a 4-3.

"First off, I do envision those guys in a Saints uniform, and yet I'm also realistic and understand that every year since the beginning of free agency the percentage of players on your roster that turns over is different than it used to be," Payton said. "There was a time where you had your draft. What two or three rookies were going to beat out the veterans on a roster?

"It's different now. There's an economic factor to it. It's as simple as a household budget. If you're going to have cable and you're going to have heat, you might not be able to have something else. So you've really got to look closely at your production, you've got to look closely at your cap."

New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton envisions Will Smith, Jonathan Vilma, Roman Harper on 2013 roster | NOLA.com

Will Smith= Cable

Dump Cable and go with Netflix or Hulu.

Harper won't be cut. There isn't enough of a cap savings. If they really want to save money, they'd try to re-do his contract. Of course, I think he'd have a break out year in Rob Ryan's 3-4, since he'll likely be playing closer to the LOS.

Vilma and Smith are a different story. Too much financial benefit to cutting them. Really hope they work out a new contract. I'd really like to keep Vilma. Smith may benefit from a change, so he can stay in a 4-3.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Right now there heading into a worse cap situation next offseason then they are now. Harper's play makes him very replaceable and only his cap penalty seems to be his safest chance for remaining on the team this year. However, releasing him in the next few days may be a lateral move now financially, it would likely be a huge help next offseason that would justify all the current restructures that we're back loading now that we have to pay next offseason.

A $4 million dollar cap savings may look pretty inviting since they can dump him now and call it a June 1 cut. Besides, money isn't the only reason to dump someone. Our entire set of DB's deserve to be cut for their poor play. You could almost make that argument for the entire defense as no scheme is going to make these guys great. I would love to see 5-6 new defensive starters, including all starting DB's, except for Greer. Hopefully, we will also replace Ellis, Smith, and Vilma. We shall see.

A $4 million dollar cap savings may look pretty inviting since they can dump him now and call it a June 1 cut. Besides, money isn't the only reason to dump someone. Our entire set of DB's deserve to be cut for their poor play. You could almost make that argument for the entire defense as no scheme is going to make these guys great. I would love to see 5-6 new defensive starters, including all starting DB's, except for Greer. Hopefully, we will also replace Ellis, Smith, and Vilma. We shall see.

I hear ya.

Just saying the the team paid him good money because they thought he was worth it. He has one issue. He's bad in coverage, especially on athletic TE's. Guess what? Almost every single SS in the league is bad in coverage, especially on athletic TE's. Teams haven't come up with a great answer for the Jimmy Graham's, Gronks', etc of the world.

I also think it's easier to keep him this year, and if needed, cut or extend him next year to get more savings.

So, you can save 4M this year and still have a partial hit next year of around 4M. Or, we can keep him this year, and let him go next year and save 6.9M against the cap next year.

But, if we cut Harper now, who replaces him?

I think it's a good idea to Draft a Safety with our 3rd or 4th round pick and see if they can develop and let Harper prove it this year.

Our secondary is talented for the most part, just last year's defense was a horrible fit. Bad communication leads to crap zone coverage.

First off I like the play of IAQ @ times. However, if we end up keeping Harper, he plays close to the line, utilizes his strengths,and plays stellar, great, then so be it. But, personally, let us just say if we don't end up with Harper somehow, I will not lose sleep over it.

That also goes for Vilma (Since we have Lofton and Hawthorne) and Will Smith (Jordan and Hicks). If we keep them and they fit into the scheme enough to contribute their salary worth, great. If not, then we may have to bid fare well if no re-structuring takes place. I like some of our back-ups and younger guys that would get a shot, as a result of "roster turn-over".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom