Payton to be interviewed by FOX 8 morning news at 8 AM this morning (1 Viewer)

“I think it went really well. Like every year, there is an influx of juniors that we get caught up on. It’s the first time for us as coaches to really see all of these players in an interview setting. The medical aspect is an important part of the process and the on-field workouts. It’s a step in their final grade. What’s most important is the production we see on tape but this gives us a chance to really meet the players and put a name with a face.”

That's interesting. I read somewhere on these boards that the Saints didn't/don't do any interviews with players at the scouting combine. I guess that's not true. I wonder who they talked to?

That's interesting. I read somewhere on these boards that the Saints didn't/don't do any interviews with players at the scouting combine. I guess that's not true. I wonder who they talked to?

Well we know for a fact Matheiu met with Rob Ryan. Of course the Saints met with a bunch of players at the combine. Thats what teams do and one of the main attractions.

Things I noted:

He mentioned free agency @ 3 times.
Not sure how we are going to be active in free agency, with our cap issues, but sounds like we will be.

He specifically mentioned addressing the OLINE and Defense.
An O-Lineman is very much a possibly is the 1st round.

Have the Saints ever drafted someone the showed an interest in at the combine?

Things I noted:

Not sure how we are going to be active in free agency, with our cap issues, but sounds like we will be.

So maybe Bushrod is not in the plans?

Things I noted:

Dont sleep on Loomis. Every year we whine about cap space yet every year we make moves in FA.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

So maybe Bushrod is not in the plans?

It is risky business if he is not. I trust that Loomis and Payton have a plan and I do think Bushrod can be upgraded. However, when you look at the draft and free agency, it is not as deep as some think.

In the draft you have 3 guys that are expected to be able to come in and start from day one: Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, & Lane Johnson. All three of those are projected to be gone when we get on the clock. So either we are moving up (doubtful), addressing the hole in FA, or have another player rated as high as those 3.

In free agency you have 5 left tackles that will hit the market: Jake Long, Sam Baker, Will Beatty, Branden Albert, Jermon Bushrod. You also have Sebastain Vollmer that can play LT and RT.

Jake Long will be more expensive than Bushrod.
Sam Baker is a downgrade from Bushrod.
Branden Albert has back issues and KC may sign him long term.
Will Beatty is close to a deal with the NYG, he's not leaving.
Sebastain Vollmer is injury prone and likely returning to NE thanks to Brady's restructure.

We could go the route of a stopgap in FA/Charles Brown and draft a mid round guy in the 3rd-4th but again, it is risky business. I trust that the FO has a plan, keeping Drew upright is a top priority, and as much an issue as our defense is.

It is risky business if he is not. I trust that Loomis and Payton have a plan and I do think Bushrod can be upgraded. However, when you look at the draft and free agency, it is not as deep as some think.

In the draft you have 3 guys that are expected to be able to come in and start from day one: Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, & Lane Johnson. All three of those are projected to be gone when we get on the clock. So either we are moving up (doubtful), addressing the hole in FA, or have another player rated as high as those 3.

Sir, this is classic, nothing you stated is incorrect. However, you have not completed the circle on players or possibilities. One, Brees quick decision making lessens the need for Tackle but increases the importance of Guard which allows him to step up into throwing lanes. I believe that they will sweat Bushrod and pay him what he is worth. If we lose him, their possibilities go much beyond your lemits. Good post, but they have an upgrade in mind at both tackles with or w/o Bushrod. JMO

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom