Payton Turner Could be Elite (1 Viewer)

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
How do you guys get such personal animus towards an injured athlete on our favorite team?

Good question, I think it is the notion that we should hit on every 1st round pick…to do so is a combination of skill, research and luck (injuries happen)….No team out there hits every time, some are better than others….folks seem to get really frustrated over this, I generally don’t just hope for the best for the player and see what happens….

Big_L

Team Big Pimpin'
Reaction score
Good question, I think it is the notion that we should hit on every 1st round pick…to do so is a combination of skill, research and luck (injuries happen)….No team out there hits every time, some are better than others….folks seem to get really frustrated over this, I generally don’t just hope for the best for the player and see what happens….
Look in any Mike Thomas thread recently or a Kamara thread from a few seasons ago. I'm sure that some of it is residual from MT clapping back on Brees after his . . . . statement a few seasons ago.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Potential means you haven’t done it yet. What’s funny is that people didn’t think that Cam Jordan had elite upside. But he stayed healthy and worked hard enough to arguably become the best DE in franchise history and a borderline HOFer. You can’t improve when you are sidelined. Availability is the single most important factor that determines if a player pans out. It’s not just physical…it’s also mental. He had trouble staying healthy in college as well. Not a good start at all.

How is staying healthy a mental issue, Doctor?

football

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I believe we'll continue to see Turner progress from where he left off before he got injured. I would really like to see him succeed. You can never have enough quality DE's.
Even though he over came the physical injury, he now needs to overcome the mental injury.

Edit... disregard the word mental injury.

Last edited:

RaginCajun83

Saints/Wrestling Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What mental injury? You sounds as if he forgot how to play football

football

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
What mental injury? You sounds as if he forgot how to play football
Recovery from surgery. It is the mental part he needs to overcome. How it is going to feel being pushed and hit by 300 pound players in the trenches. Maybe using the word mental injury is not the right wording. But in Payton case, he is still a rookie in a sense. For a football player who just had major surgery ,those first few hits will hurt alot.

Loco Hornet Fan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
and no one called him elite after one season. let's see him at least play a full season before anointing him.
To be fair, no one is calling Turner elite (yet) either.

The premise of the thread (and video linked in the OP) is that he has the potential/ability to be elite.

I think the poster you quoted was just pointing out that while Cam didn’t have a fantastic rookie year (for a few reasons), he flashed elite-level potential.

Cam realized that potential. Nobody is disputing that Turner might not. It is too early to say either way. People are just pointing out that when he was healthy, he played very well as a rookie.

JackT.

was Jake from State Farm
Reaction score
To be fair, no one is calling Turner elite (yet) either.

The premise of the thread (and video linked in the OP) is that he has the potential/ability to be elite.

I think the poster you quoted was just pointing out that while Cam didn’t have a fantastic rookie year (for a few reasons), he flashed elite-level potential.

Cam realized that potential. Nobody is disputing that Turner might not. It is too early to say either way. People are just pointing out that when he was healthy, he played very well as a rookie.
my bad. I am just tired of throwing the elite word about like that. when he did play, he did flash pretty good. I guess I am old school and I like to see it for a couple of years before the elite word is used. remember Crawley had a good first season and we all thought he would be the next number two and the next year he fell apart. I just hope he isn't another Davenport. Plenty of talent but can't stay healthy. Hopefully the guy we got from Bama will help keep the players as healthy as possible.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
Reaction score
Many, including myself, thought Cam Jordan was a bust after year 1. And look at him now, one of the all-time Saints greats and a possible HOFer if he can close his career out strong and maybe add a championship to his resume.

Give this young man some time; he’s shown flashes.

TribuneUK

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Look in any Mike Thomas thread recently or a Kamara thread from a few seasons ago. I'm sure that some of it is residual from MT clapping back on Brees after his . . . . statement a few seasons ago.
I think it's deeper / longer running than that. It may not be a popular view to say this, but it comes across as an expectation that the player should be performing at a high level, without exception, like some piece of autonomous machinery, rather than thinking about the person who is injured, unable to play the sport they love, as well as rely on for their income, while facing the mental and physical challenges of rehab back into playing condition.

It's pretty unreasonable to treat people like machines.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom