Payton Turner: Did I expect too much, too soon? (1 Viewer)

BlackandGoldXLIV

Lurkules (since 2001)
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I guess, I expected to see more flash plays.

I saw him on the field last night. But I didn't see him in the game. If that makes sense. Like he got erased.

Sure, cocktails were flowing freely during the game for me. So my vision could be clouded. So for the forum members that comprehended things better than I did last night, tell me what you saw.

I know it's just one preseason game, and I'm not hitting the panic button yet. I just want to know where it's located.

#FeelingUneasy.

I guess, I expected to see more flash plays.

I saw him on the field last night. But I didn't see him in the game. If that makes sense. Like he got erased.

Sure, cocktails were flowing freely during the game for me. So my vision could be clouded. So for the forum members that comprehended things better than I did last night, tell me what you saw.

I know it's just one preseason game, and I'm not hitting the panic button yet. I just want to know where it's located.

#FeelingUneasy.
Few things…

1. It’s preseason
2. We were playing mostly base defense.
3. He’s coming off an injury.

I think he’s going to have a good year.

When people say "I know it is just one preseason game" it just lets me know right off the bat that they realize their whole take is unreasonable.
Yes, it is code to themselves that says player is a bust. 2nd year 1st rd. draft picks who were injured in year 1, need to play SOME in preseason of their 2nd year. We shall see. If he is not a contributor this year, he can stick around until his rookie contract is up. Then bye-bye-bye.

Playing your own team day in day out is hard to really gauge against. I’m practice they know plays coming they know their opponents weaknesses and they aren’t going 💯. That’s why it’s hard to gauge anything off of practice

Speaking of DEs and former 1st rounders, any thoughts on Taco Chalton's performance last night?

If Turner only played minimal snaps in the first game of the preseason, then there’s nothing to assess about his play. Regardless of what happens in the preseason, we know Turner is our 3rd DE, who will see a significant amount of snaps every game when the regular season starts, as a former 1st rounder.

If Turner has breakout games in the preseason, he still has to repeat the same play in the regular season. We won’t see what we need to see until week 1-3 of the regular season to know how his performance trajectory will go this season.

As for Turner, I dont think many fans actually took note of just how good he played while he was on the field last season before the injury...as the 3rd DE. He already has multiple effective pass rush moves, very good speed and good power. Run game is where he needs to get more consistent, but he blew up Carolina's plan last season.

When Cam walks away from it, Turner is going to be the guy if he stays healthy.

There is nothing I could see after one game. Had he had an unbelievably great game it wouldn't have meant anything to me either. This is a process.
I don't disagree.

But if Turner had an unbelievably great game last night, this post wouldn't exist.

And I would have drank more.

Isn't the saying it usually takes year 3 for both o and d lineman to really breakout?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom