Payton Turner: Did I expect too much, too soon? (1 Viewer)

I’ve not given up on him at all. Even said above that I was just glad to see him be able to stay in the game and not get dinged. I will admit I don’t have high hopes for him, but I’m not calling him or anyone a bust. Not even Ruiz, yet.

I was elaborating on your post not calling you out.

We’re investing a high round pick on DE again whenever Cam retires (in ‘24/‘25) regardless even when Turner breaks out. We’ll need 3 very good-elite DEs again anyway for injury depth to Dav and Turner.

Improving on year last year’s production and playing most games this year is a success for Turner this year imo. He was a super talented, raw developmental prospect coming out of Houston so I wouldn’t expect a true breakout until the 3rd season when he overtakes Cam in snaps.
Funny we have two projects we took in the first, one on each side of the line. We’re counting on both to reach their massive potential.

I didn’t realize that Turner played deep into the game. This is a snippet from Nick’s latest:

Underhill

“LACK OF PASS RUSH: The lack of pressure on Texans quarterbacks might have been the most disappointing takeaway from Saturday’s game and perhaps even a little problematic considering the circumstances.

Payton Turner, a 2021 first-round pick, played deep into the fourth quarter, meaning he was up against Houston’s reserves, and he never touched the quarterback. While it probably doesn’t mean anything — not yet, at least — the first game back in action for Turner was a bit of a letdown.

There was also some hope guys like Jordan Jackson, Josh Black and Kentavius Street would show up in the pass rush, but that didn’t happen. This is only the first preseason game, so it’s too soon to react to any of the information, but how the depth performs here is now officially something to watch.

Tanoh Kpassagnon (one quarterback hit) was the only guy who showed up in the pass rush.”
This is not say Payton Turner is going to be bad. I said it before...He has the tool and physical ability to be real good. Based on last year I thought he was ahead of Davenport his first year. Anyway from THIS game, he didn't show up. Disappointing. He didn't display the counter move he was capable of making. He allowed the offensive line to continue to block him. Didn't even past the line of scrimmage. Lack the explosiveness he displayed from last year. He mentioned he put on a little weight. To me I rather he stayed at the weight he was from last year. He seem bigger but slower in this game.

He has to get back in the groove. Hard to do that week 1. Even week 1 of the regular season often saw a player as great as Drew not be in full rhythm yet. Give the kid some time. His first season got cut short and his practice reps aren't enough.

I don't like the fact that we used a first round pick on a project. First round DE's aren't supposed to take 3 years to develop. With Dav, you saw his potential from game one, the guy is an absolute monster if he can stay healthy. Turner hasn't wowed me like Dav.

Taking over for Cam Jordan? First he needs to take over for Granderson. He has his hands full with that. I’m not quite ready to say that Turner will retire after Cam Jordan at this point.

The thought process in the op and, indeed, in many of the posts during the game and following demonstrate exactly why fan analyses are meaningless. How anyone can place stock in a game played without so many starters on both sides of the ball or an ending featuring players who will not be suiting up outside of a crisis is beyond me.

Last edited:
Turner should have done better against Houston, but it's just the first preseason game, so it's too early to make any kind of definitive conclusions. Let's see how he plays against Green Bay. He missed most of last season, so it may take him a while to get up to speed.

I guess, I expected to see more flash plays.

I saw him on the field last night. But I didn't see him in the game. If that makes sense. Like he got erased.

Sure, cocktails were flowing freely during the game for me. So my vision could be clouded. So for the forum members that comprehended things better than I did last night, tell me what you saw.

I know it's just one preseason game, and I'm not hitting the panic button yet. I just want to know where it's located.

#FeelingUneasy.
The Saints expected too much too soon. Turner was a consensus 3rd rounder the Saints reached on; we have a tendency to blame the player when scouting and Sean Payton missed here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom