Paytons does not like change {merged} (1 Viewer)

bthomas1

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Omar Stoutmire & Mark Simoneaux

Both need to be back ups, They need to start Danny Clark (MLB) and Jay Bellamy at (SS). Neither one seem to be getting it done. OS runs up tp the line only to miss the tackle, and MS can seem to get off the block.

Please rewatch the tapes (or pay attention the first time through) and explain why on earth Danny Clark is a better option at starter than Mark S. :shrug:

Clark is doing fine in his role at the goal line/short yardage, though he was one of the main reasons that Heath Miller was wide open for his TD yesterday.

Again, what problems do we have in the middle of our defense? The only thing we lack in that group is one that can move sideline-sideline. Clark is not that guy.

Jacob, I didn't read him calling for Clark, and I agree with him. Neither one of these guys is an NFL starter at this point (Simoneau was never truly starter-quality, as his first two teams found out), but we all know that; Stoutmire's depth behind an injured starter, and as far as the linebackers, well, we did as well as we could in the off-season.

Our D badly needs more athleticism and depth, and given the lack of glaring negatives anywhere on offense (I'd like to be developing a young QB, and if a better TE falls in our laps fine), the organization will have a massive focus on the defensive side of the ball starting in February.

But for right now, yeah, the defense is doing its best to keep up in games, and that's all I can reasonably expect them to do given the level of personnel, some of whom need to be replaced with better players for us to become a top 4-5 team and have a 2-3 year run where we're a legit Super Bowl contender.

clark isnt good in pass coverage, stoutmire, as we recall, is in for our injured starter - though im not sure if he is better than bellamy or not, he made some plays

Mark was doing very well in the middle, the majority of the runs came from the outside (I know the 2 70+ yarders did).

Anytime they tried to run it up the middle, it got stuffed most of the time.

as someone said above, please rewatch the game if you don't remeber this.

Considering what Simoneau has been asked to do since he got here, I dont think I or anyone can complain too much. The fact is, we were desperate heading into the season, Fincher, Foreman, Polley, Bockwoldt, etc couldnt get it done during training camp.

We make a trade that included Simoneau because I believe the trade was primarily for the draft pick, not Simoneau. And he has come in and played the best for what we could hope for. WE must chalk this one up for our biggest need on the team is a TRUE play making middle linebacker. And Simoneau is the best for what we have right now.

With that said, I agree Clark is not the answer because he is not able to make the sideline to sideline plays.

As for Stoutmire. Hey is sucks that Harper went down. But we brought this guy for depth and that is exactly what he was. Considering the transformation that this team has made and they are playing beyond MOST people expectations, we need to be fair to the Coaching staff and give them time to be able to build depth on this team. I dont think it is possible to ask any coach of any team to come in and take a 3-13 team, turn them into a winner and in the mean time provide loads of depth.

Just my opinion.

Simoneau has struggled of late. he does have problems getting of blocks and filling the right running lanes. neither of Parkers runs were his fault, Bullocks took a bad angle on the first one and MM came too far inside and allowed him to get to the corner on the second. i don't think Clark is the answer cause of he doesn't cover well, but Simoneau isn't in on clear passing downs anyway. as for Stoutmire, he misses way to many tackles and can't cover his shadow. i would really like to see Bellamy play and i was a Bellamy hater for years, but i think he is an upgrade over Stoutmire. man we miss Roman Harper right now.

Jacob, I didn't read him calling for Clark,...

... They need to start Danny Clark (MLB) ...

:shrug:

That's exactly how I read it. I don't think there's anything Danny Clark can bring as an every down starter that Simoneau doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I think Simoneau is marginal, but the clamoring for Clark is misguided IMO.

considering that all of our Linebackers except for Fincher are completely new to the team, with a new D-coordinator, new Head Coach, and new Position Coach, and thrown together, i think they are doing very well. Is there room for improvement? Yes, there is always room for improvement even on superbowl teams. If it was easy to build a team from scratch then teams like Arizona, Detroit, Cleveland, SF, and Houston wouldn't be at the bottom the last few seasons. It usually takes up to three years for a New Coach to get his players, his schemes, and his coaches to do what he envisions effectivly. This is year one and we are already light years ahead of where we have been in the last two decades. If for some reason this season doesn't go like we hope it does, then i believe we can honestly say "Wait till Next Year".

It is clearly obvious that Clark needs to be in the middle.
It is clearly obvious Stoutmire needs to be benched
It is obvious Fred Thomas does not have it anymore
Mckensie needs to be on the best Receiver
Lake needs to replce young
In other words D Clark needs to replace M Simoneaux, Jay bellamy needs to replace Stoutmire, or put Bullocks at SS and put Scott at FS, and start Lake instead of young clearly more active when he is in. Start Craft or Groce instead of F THOMAS, AT least they have the speed to catch up if they are beat, Thomas is to slow.
I hope he make the changes before it is to late.

Sounds good on paper but will it work out on the field?

:plus-un2:

The last few games the changes could not have hurt, thats for sure, When you over acheive good teams start to figure you out

It is clearly obvious Stoutmire needs to be benched
Lake needs to replce young
In other words D Clark needs to replace M Simoneaux, Jay bellamy needs to replace Stoutmire, or put Bullocks at SS and put Scott at FS, and start Lake instead of young clearly more active when he is in. Start Craft or Groce instead of F THOMAS, AT least they have the speed to catch up if they are beat, Thomas is to slow.
I hope he make the changes before it is to late.

Why aren't you head coach for the New Orleans Saints?

payton has turned a 3-13 team into a 6-4 team with a leigitimate shot at the playoffs / division title... stop complaining - TWO bad games all year... (Ravens and Cinci)... payton will get this team back in order... we are 5-1 in the NFC, if we replicate that in this last stretch (VERY VERY Possible) then we win the division most likely, but for sure make the playoffs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom