PC Critics, can we get a list? (1 Viewer)

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly curious on this one. Can we get a specific list of things you think are "not PC" that you wish you could say and where you'd like to say them (i.e., church, work, with extended family, with strangers in a bank line), but feel you can't without being criticized for being un-PC.

I hear this as a generic objection all the time, but rarely get specifics on exactly what it is you'd like to say but think you can't.

A list is just meaning the thread as a whole. Feel free to contribute with one very specific example only if you like.

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As someone born during the so called "PC Age", I find this interesting.

OP
Galbreath34

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
*****rdly. Last few years I get a lot a mean looks for that term.
Illegitimate child word or just joking about people not knowing dastardly?

Also, oddly, that seems to be a word that was "bad" when I was a kid but doesn't seem to bother the people who are supposed to be PC police as far as I know.

Or realized the word for stingy that people would only react to out of ignorance could fit the stars too ;)

OP
Galbreath34

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Radical Islamic Terrorism
Illegal Alien
When are you not able to say illegal immigrant or illegal alien? I'm 99% sure if you're getting called a racist it has nothing to do with those words in the abstract, but what you're going on to say about them. I know some people prefer things like undocumented etc, but seriously, there've been plenty of exchanges here and elsewhere about immigration reform and I don't remember anyone getting ruffled about the term illegal around here.

Thanks, but I'm actually hoping for specific examples of a term and a consequence. Given your recent history here with defending AmRen and FAIR, I'm gonna go ahead and call bull that it's using either term that led to anyone assuming you've got a racist agenda.

The closest parallel I can come to is knowing a black car nut who you know drives 30+ over the speed limit all the time and drives like an idiot complaining about getting tickets for race. In his case, I'd say it's the driving not racism leading to the tickets.

I don't doubt that you've sincerely convinced yourself that the words are the reason, but I don't doubt that that has zero to do with why most of us see your positions and sources and deeply racist recently.

FWIW, I use the term illegal immigrant almost exclusively in talking about the issues with immigration, and in decades have not once been called a racist or even challenged by anyone that the term was in any way unsavory.

Again, I don't question your sincerity, just your self awareness.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'll take this seriously.

I hate using the term African American. Mostly, because we often call Caucasians, White. So, I like the opposite of that.. Black. Also, not every Black person is of African Dissent or like the term. I have friends that are from Jamaica, Haiti, the DR and they either go with Black, their country of origin or Caribbean. I also have a friend that's Aboriginal Australian.

When I think the PC culture, I really do think of the mid 90's (the movie PCU is actually a great example), when the whole mass marketed non-conformity was at peak.

We'd make the jokes about someone isn't short, they're vertically challenged. They're not ********, they're mentally challenged. All the softening of terms. Some of it good, some of it bad and more confusing than need be.

I understand that some of it is to not come off as mean, but the line does move on some things. Heck, I can't tell the 14 yr old that maybe it's not his teacher being a bad teacher, but that he should have known what a word meant in the essay question or been able to use context clues to figure it out. The idea that he's not perfect and needs to learn and grow is met with resentment. The point is, some people will just be offended no matter what you say, so the goal should never to be never offend anyone, but basically not be a jerk.

OP
Galbreath34

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, the thing is, seriously in the last 20 years do you really feel uncomfortable saying black at a party with people you've just met or at work? I mean I never have, but maybe there is some weird pressure out there that I've yet to see. I've worked in some corporate environments, but only one or two stiff old school ones. I mean MSFT is corporate, but very liberal and laid back. I also though was a grad student and mingled with people doing theses in African American cultural studies and such and never really had issues. Maybe people just give people they're fairly sure aren't racist more slack or something.

I guess outside of the media I have yet to see someone corrected on something like short or black. ********, though, is one that I do see heavily challenged/corrected or scolded. I don't necessarily agree with the idea that any use of that is meant to degrade, but if someone says something I stop. I've never felt really put out or like I was losing friends or career or respect over it.

I just hear all the time on online forums or conservative radio that it's some huge force, but other than people saying overtly disturbing things (not the wrong code words) I've never seen anything go off the rails for someone because of not being 'PC', yet they make it sound like all the time it's this strongly oppressive force in real life.

I mean even with ********, I can't imagine in 1963 someone at a meeting at GE saying "That idea is ********," and that was long before PC ever came around. I also today can't see someone getting fired for saying it at a meeting today either. I can see getting rebuked though in either time period.

saintsfan26

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
When are you not able to say illegal immigrant or illegal alien? I'm 99% sure if you're getting called a racist it has nothing to do with those words in the abstract, but what you're going on to say about them. I know some people prefer things like undocumented etc, but seriously, there've been plenty of exchanges here and elsewhere about immigration reform and I don't remember anyone getting ruffled about the term illegal around here.

Thanks, but I'm actually hoping for specific examples of a term and a consequence. Given your recent history here with defending AmRen and FAIR, I'm gonna go ahead and call bull that it's using either term that led to anyone assuming you've got a racist agenda.

The closest parallel I can come to is knowing a black car nut who you know drives 30+ over the speed limit all the time and drives like an idiot complaining about getting tickets for race. In his case, I'd say it's the driving not racism leading to the tickets.

I don't doubt that you've sincerely convinced yourself that the words are the reason, but I don't doubt that that has zero to do with why most of us see your positions and sources and deeply racist recently.

FWIW, I use the term illegal immigrant almost exclusively in talking about the issues with immigration, and in decades have not once been called a racist or even challenged by anyone that the term was in any way unsavory.

Again, I don't question your sincerity, just your self awareness.
Trump is called a racist for saying that illegal immigrants come from Mexico and some of them are rapists and criminals. It's just truth.

He also gets called a racist for wanting to stop immigration until we figure out how to stop radical Islamic terrorism.

These two ideas are perfectly sane ideas in terms of ensuring the safety of our country, but Hillary's campaign calls it racist for the sensationalized headlines that the mainstream liberal media, bought and paid for by the government, can use for their propaganda.

Most of America is tired of this kind of crap.

OP
Galbreath34

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
the goal should never to be never offend anyone, but basically not be a jerk.
This, and in my experience it's how things work out there in the real world.

Have you seen it go down differently for someone over a particular word use? I just have never seen it first hand. I've seen guys eventually be thought of poorly when they cross into that "but" half and forcefully or repeatedly ignore someone saying "hey, that's offensive to me", but that's about it. To me even if it were someone saying they didn't like to hear me talk about boxer shorts I'd just talk about other things around that person. So maybe I just don't get it.

OP
Galbreath34

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Trump is called a racist for saying that illegal immigrants come from Mexico and some of them are rapists and criminals. It's just truth.

He also gets called a racist for wanting to stop immigration until we figure out how to stop radical Islamic terrorism.
Those are such distortions of the reason that it's not really worth derailing the thread to respond to. I'm not looking for media and political examples and shaming there at all though. It's not the interest of my thread. Start a parallel one about PC in media only if you want to discuss that please, don't threadjack mine.

I'm trying to find out about how PC affects people in every day life and conversations between ordinary people at home, church, work, parties. Real people in the real world, not that of abstract national figures. I hear repeatedly that this is a problem in personal lives and spaces with nothing to ever back it up. I'm looking for stories and examples of it with ordinary people, not with abstract debates about "the media" or BS like that. Start your own thread to do that kind of fallacy ridden generic argument.

Also, though, FWIW, I already don't criticize anyone for using the two terms you listed in your first post. The second especially if it's used literally as is to make the distinction that it's a tiny subset of that faith. It's the radical members that are the equivalent of Koresh to Christians, so I usually readily applaud it's use. Let me know if you ever see me not backing either of those up as normal terms to use.

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
Now we're getting a long way from simply using the term "illegal aliens," which I don't have a problem with.

Trump, on the other hand, came right out of the gate accusing Mexican illegals of being rapists, drug runners, and violent criminals. You say "it's just truth," but you're only correct in the same way that the statement: "White Americans are pedophiles and serial killers" is accurate. Sure a small percentage of white Americans are pedophiles and serial killers, but to use those terms to describe the entire group is unfair, don't you think? Why would I do that, unless my goal was to demonize the entire group as subhuman scum? That's racist. Sorry if that offends you, but "it's just truth."

Again, if you want to say "radical Islamic terrorism," fine with me. You should understand the reluctance of some of our politicians has nothing to do with "PC" but rather making sure that our message isn't being miscommunicated to the 1.6 billion Muslims in the world. Call me crazy, but I think it's more important to make our message clear than recite magic words to make Sean Hannity happy.

But again, Trump's message goes beyond being against Islamic terrorists. He didn't say we need to keep the terrorists out. He said we need to keep Muslims out, which is demonizing an entire group because he understands a lot of white Christian Americans don't understand them, are suspicious of them, and have no qualms about discriminating against them. You say "not PC" - some of us see it for what it is.

These two ideas are perfectly sane ideas in terms of ensuring the safety of our country, but Hillary's campaign calls it racist for the sensationalized headlines that the mainstream liberal media, bought and paid for by the government, can use for their propaganda.

Most of America is tired of this kind of crap.
The way Trump uses those ideas is racist, and capitalizes on fear completely out of proportion to the alleged threat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)