PC Gamers, Nvidia and AMD fans, get your popcorn (1 Viewer)

This is pretty much my experience when it comes to Best Buy and their computer knowledge.

85bfa16f7148d4aea69a7e9203b93921.jpg

Who is the really dumb one? The Best Buy employee, or you for going to Best Buy?

Who is the really dumb one? The Best Buy employee, or you for going to Best Buy?

I always build my pc's, and I understand those who don't. You have that 'WHAT DOES PC LOAD LETTER MEAN?" moment when dealing with post, and beep codes. That said, there is zero reasons to go to best buy for actual advice. You can google better answers. Heck, buzd and the geekry can give you better advice on the tech board.

I always build my pc's, and I understand those who don't. You have that 'WHAT DOES PC LOAD LETTER MEAN?" moment when dealing with post, and beep codes. That said, there is zero reasons to go to best buy for actual advice. You can google better answers. Heck, buzd and the geekry can give you better advice on the tech board.

We need a Fry's.

So I may be in the market for a new gaming pizza soon. My 9 year old has come down with a case of Windows 10. Well windows 10 isn't the direct cause of the issues, I believe the issues are more related to old hardware. Likely, a bad hard drive. Possibly could just reinstall the PC to 7 and get a few more years out of it, that wouldn't solve my issues. I was getting Blue screens on Boot up and randomly when trying to log in. Those were prior to 10, now after 10, the PC won't wake up some times even after I made sure that all Power save options were turned off. Also, which I believe is a related issue, the video will stop playing as if the PC is going to hibernate, but I can stiill here whatever game I am playing on the speakers.

So before I talk myself out of getting a new Pizza again, tell me whats decent and affordable?

Well.. it was more of a question to all the Pizza Gamers, that visit SR, not any one in particular.

I do plan to give it at least a month or so in hopes I just need an update or driver before I decide what to do, maybe even wait for holidays to get some items on sale and give building it myself an inaugural attempt.

That's usually the problem with Win 10 installations - drivers.

The barebones systems from Newegg and Tigerdirect are usually the best bang for the buck, IMO. They've made them super-easy to put together now, too.

I have a gaming desktop that upgraded from 7 to 10 pretty seamlessly (although I didn't ask it to, just woke up to it one morning). I also have a newer gaming laptop that came with it. It's fine but I recommend disabling the bull**** applications Windows 10 runs in the background for a serious improvement in performance.

Settings -> Privacy then on the left list at the very bottom. Turn them ALL off.

Ibuypower makes some good barebones desktops. Add an IPS monitor and some decent periphs and you're set.

I have a gaming desktop that upgraded from 7 to 10 pretty seamlessly (although I didn't ask it to, just woke up to it one morning). I also have a newer gaming laptop that came with it. It's fine but I recommend disabling the bull**** applications Windows 10 runs in the background for a serious improvement in performance.

Settings -> Privacy then on the left list at the very bottom. Turn them ALL off.

Ibuypower makes some good barebones desktops. Add an IPS monitor and some decent periphs and you're set.

I'm sorry to the rest of you, and may God have mercy on my soul...

Thank you WDF. This information was actually helpful.

So I may be in the market for a new gaming pizza soon. My 9 year old has come down with a case of Windows 10. Well windows 10 isn't the direct cause of the issues, I believe the issues are more related to old hardware. Likely, a bad hard drive. Possibly could just reinstall the PC to 7 and get a few more years out of it, that wouldn't solve my issues. I was getting Blue screens on Boot up and randomly when trying to log in. Those were prior to 10, now after 10, the PC won't wake up some times even after I made sure that all Power save options were turned off. Also, which I believe is a related issue, the video will stop playing as if the PC is going to hibernate, but I can stiill here whatever game I am playing on the speakers.

So before I talk myself out of getting a new Pizza again, tell me whats decent and affordable?

You dope, you should have checked for overheating issues with windows 10. Apparently some older CPU and GPU have overheating issues with 10.

After doing a few things to help airflow, the video output problem seems to be resolved. Yay, for not rushing to buy a "new" replacement.

Ah, the good ole days, when you bought a car or PC or TV and they lasted for years. My car is 11 years old(10 to me) with 205k miles on it. People keep telling me I need a new car. Shut up, no I don't. PC is 9 years strong, and I plan to get every penny's worth from it. Only recently have I started contemplating getting a new one, and the Windows 10 causing overheating at first almost worked into talking myself into it.

I'm looking at either adding a moderate laptop with any discrete card, so the boy can play minecraft on it, do video editing, etc for school.... or... I'm getting myself a nicer upgrade and he can take my old laptop that does all that stuff already.

If I go the PC tower route.... what is the general thinking with the new gen NVIDIA (1080X, etc) vs the Radeon RX 480's? The RX's are cheaper and more mid tier, but new Tech.. what's moving forward?

It may all be moot, since I'm not likely to get too many next gen games on PC.. just continue to play my older ones, but it's nice to be able to throw something on that's PC only. Otherwise, PS4 all day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom