Pearl Jam, N.I.N. to headline 2013 Voodoo Fest. (1 Viewer)

PEARL JAM •NINE INCH NAILS CALVIN HARRIS •BASSNECTAR •PARAMORE
Sq_90 MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS •AFROJACK BOYS NOIZE •THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM BIG GIGANTIC •HOW TO DESTROY ANGELS MATT & KIM •ALKALINE TRIO PRESERVATION HALL JAZZ BAND DIRTY SOUTH •DESAPARECIDOS BEATS ANTIQUE •NEW FOUND GLORY CULTS •SAVOY •DELTA RAE ANAMANAGUCHI •ALLEN STONE YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE •GTA •ZZ WARD RUDIMENTAL •THE REVIVALISTS SHOVELS & ROPE •MOON TAXI •THE OLMS KEYS N KRATES •L.P. •G-EAZY HE’S MY BROTHER, SHE’S MY SISTER HOCKEY •A SILENT FILM •ROBERT DELONG THE VIRGINMARYS •THE APACHE RELAY THOSE DARLINS •REIGNWOLF CC ADCOCK & THE LAFAYETTE MARQUIS RUBY AMANFU FLEUR DE BRIS VODU ALL STARS JOHN MICHAEL ROUCHELL •FLOW TRIBE ROYAL TEETH •QUINTRON & MISS persayCAT ROLL THE TANKS •DAN DYER •THE PURRS ANDREW DUHON •THE BRETON SOUND POOF! THE POP SHOW •THE SCORSESES BIG HISTORY •COYOTES •KINKY MACHINE LEOPOLD AND HIS FICTION •CHURCH LESLIE BLACKSHEAR SMITH & DOUBLE BLACK PAUL VARISCO AND THE MILESTONES PANIC IN EDEN •OH, JEREMIAH HELLO NEGRO THE REAL NIGHT TRIPPER: DR. JOHN

So, is this it? I mean, I'm ok with spending the money I did just to see Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails and Desaparecidos, but I kinda felt like they were going to put together a better lineup than this. Is there no third headliner? Beats Antique is cool; the Revivalists put on a good show; Macklemore and Ryan Lewis put out an intelligent record, but as far as wanting to see it as a live performance, I don't know if it will be any better than listening to it in my car. Other than that...I think I liked some of Cults stuff but not enough to really care.

Is there anyone whose in the lineup that I should see?

ETA:

And, I'm sorry, but screw this:http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/07/stone-temple-pilots-with-chester-bennington-as-singer-announce-u-s-tour-dates/

STP also has a one-off date scheduled in Biloxi, MS for November 1st, which will no doubt fuel rumors of an appearance at Voodoo Music Experience in New Orleans.

09/21 – Ft Myers, FL @ Shockwave Festival at Jet Blue Park
09/24 – Midland, TX @ La Hacienda Event Center
09/26 – Tempe, AZ @ Marquee
09/27 – Las Vegas, NV @ Freemont Street Experience
11/01 – Biloxi, MS @ Hard Rock Live

If they're playing Friday 11-1 in Biloxi, that means (if this rumor is true) that they'd be the third headliner and playing on Saturday or Sunday at Voodoo and in no way should they knock Pearl Jam or NIN out of the Saturday and Sunday headlining spots, especially with some Linkin Park ****** bag as their new frontman.

So, is this it? I mean, I'm ok with spending the money I did just to see Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails and Desaparecidos, but I kinda felt like they were going to put together a better lineup than this. Is there no third headliner? Beats Antique is cool; the Revivalists put on a good show; Macklemore and Ryan Lewis put out an intelligent record, but as far as wanting to see it as a live performance, I don't know if it will be any better than listening to it in my car. Other than that...I think I liked some of Cults stuff but not enough to really care.

The Gaslight Anthem is one of my favorite bands, even though I think their most recent effort is subpar by their standard. It's not for everyone though, admittedly. I'd probably not have bought tickets if they weren't playing as I just saw PJ at Jazz Fest a few years ago, and at the Lakefront Arena circa 2004.

I agree that I thought more would eventually be released, but it certainly seems late in the game to be adding any major acts. Unfortunately, I think the festival has been slipping for a couple of years now. I really like that the city has three major festivals that typically appeal to three different listeners at three different times of the year, so hopefully, it isn't an indicator of what's to come.

The Gaslight Anthem is one of my favorite bands, even though I think their most recent effort is subpar by their standard. It's not for everyone though, admittedly. I'd probably not have bought tickets if they weren't playing as I just saw PJ at Jazz Fest a few years ago, and at the Lakefront Arena circa 2004.

I agree that I thought more would eventually be released, but it certainly seems late in the game to be adding any major acts. Unfortunately, I think the festival has been slipping for a couple of years now. I really like that the city has three major festivals that typically appeal to three different listeners at three different times of the year, so hopefully, it isn't an indicator of what's to come.

I'm a Pearl Jam nerd so this year was never in question for me. I haven't missed a tour of theirs since 1995. (I'm now patiently waiting for antipop to show up to make fun of me.)

Sadly, it looks like it is an indicator. The last couple years have been lacking in even the justification of buying a weekend pass. Hasn't been a can't miss kind of thing since 2008.

Voodoo Experience - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since I trust your taste in music and the friends who think they're pretty awesome, I will happily go download The Gaslight Anthem's discography. Which one is the best in your opinion?

ETA:

And, I'm sorry, but screw this:Stone Temple Pilots, with Chester Bennington as singer, announce U.S. tour dates | Consequence of Sound

If they're playing Friday 11-1 in Biloxi, that means (if this rumor is true) that they'd be the third headliner and playing on Saturday or Sunday at Voodoo and in no way should they knock Pearl Jam or NIN out of the Saturday and Sunday headlining spots, especially with some Linkin Park ****** bag as their new frontman.

The way it traditionally works is that there is a blackout clause in the band contract with the festival limiting them from playing in a certain mile radius of the event for a set amount of time. This can be negotiated out, but not likely. If anything they may cancel the Biloxi gig and play voodoo instead.

That's a pretty good lineup if you look at it from a "something for everyone" angle

NIN and Calvin Harris? Pearl Jam and Allen Stone? ***** Cat Dolls, etc. They even have the local EDM scene represented here - Bass Church (I'll probably go just to support them)

You could bring your wife and older teen kids and no one would be bored.

So, I listened to most of Sink or Swim. Very clean. Couldn't get a real grasp of the lyrics but I could tell that there was something actually being said, which is pretty critical, imo, especially in a punk (post-punk? I hate labels...)band.

I thought their singer sounded like the guy from Lucero, so I pulled up their wikipedia page to see if it was the same guy. Totally not him, but found this nugget at the very end of the page:

Brian Fallon has stated several times that without The Replacements there would be no Gaslight Anthem, as they are heavily influenced by them, especially their song 'Left of the Dial'.

The band holds a specific influence to Pearl Jam for their upcoming fifth album. Gaslight's Fallon claims he has found his inspiration from Pearl Jam's No Code album.[39]

The Replacements and No Code as two major influences, huh? Now I'm going to really have to pay attention.

So, I listened to most of Sink or Swim. Very clean. Couldn't get a real grasp of the lyrics but I could tell that there was something actually being said, which is pretty critical, imo, especially in a punk (post-punk? I hate labels...)band.

I thought their singer sounded like the guy from Lucero, so I pulled up their wikipedia page to see if it was the same guy. Totally not him, but found this nugget at the very end of the page:

The Replacements and No Code as two major influences, huh? Now I'm going to really have to pay attention.
Sink or Swim has a pretty spotty production, and it takes awhile to grow on you. The '59 Sound and American Slang are much better in that regard, if I were to suggest a starting point, that's what I would recommend.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6_bQiIZXC9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/No-odBkzsEE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I definitely get the Lucero vibe. I know they've been tourmates on more than one occassion, also. The Pearl Jam influence is probably more prevalent on their newer stuff, which is still great.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oST77VRHXt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And just for good measure, here they are performing with Eddie Vedder himself.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lRpbltfM_uA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just started listening to The '59 Sound in my car at lunch and I see what you're saying about the difference in production, although Sink or Swim had damn good production for a band's "first" album. And if that's the one that is going to have to grow on me, then, sweet. Looking forward to the rest. I'm going through them chronologically for my own ridiculous criteria that I judge records and bands by and because it gives me a better feel for what the hell they're trying to accomplish.

Ha, that State of Love and Trust video confirms the other influence I couldn't place with them; Hot Water Music.

Thanks for the recommendation.

No Code was my freshman year of high school. How many times did me and my friends pass out to that album?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom