Peat possible trade bait come draft time? (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He got one year left and has one reallygood year in 2017. This year... He has been average due to the plethora of injuries.

Payton talked about getting draft picks is not an issue. The only way to get picks is to trade players. They'll find a way. If a team is desperate to oversell a high draft pick. Most likely a 3rd at best. His mesureable are still elite. So, just because his production is average this year with a ceiling of pretty great. It really wouldn't or shouldn't tank his trade stock.

This is a situational discussion. And all honesty... Almost every player has a price. If the price is right for Peat... Do we take it?

Let's not forget... This move creates almost $10 million in cap space. If I had FA guard list. I'd include it, but it could to other positions that we are wanting to improve like CB.

It seems unlikely the Saints would break up a top offensive line in the league, knowing they have a limited time with Brees left to win another Super Bowl. This is especially true considering they have no one on the roster currently to replace Peat. If you got a pick for him, you would just turn around and have to draft another guard. It seems more likely they would extend him and get cap relief that way.

Peat isn't only a guard. He can also do spot Tackle duty. Seino made bank (12 million -2.7 a season- for 3 yrs coming off a career as a backup Guard/Tackle). Don't think for a minute that Peat isn't going to get paid.

Peat isn't only a guard. He can also do spot Tackle duty. Seino made bank (12 million -2.7 a season- for 3 yrs coming off a career as a backup Guard/Tackle). Don't think for a minute that Peat isn't going to get paid.

Agreed. Peat will get a big contract.

We won’t be able to keep all of our elite talent. We’re going to have to decide who is critical and who is expendable. I lean to Peat being expendable more than critical.

I’d say our critical you players (young as in no more than 3 year vets) are Lattimore, Kamara, Thomas, Davenport, Rankins, Anzalone, and Ramcyzk. I’m not saying anyone else I left off isn’t good. I’m saying, we wouldn’t be doomed without them long term.

The last time the FO did this--letting Nicks, Goody, and Bushrod go--it took years to rebuild the O line. To do it a second time would be an even bigger mistake.
it wasn't an arbitrary decision - Sproles, Jenkins, et al - it's cost benefit analysis and it's why the nfl is more competitive than other pro sports - you can't pay everyone
the whitehot guard market is going to complicate this tremendously

That would be stupid, "let's trade one of our best OL". Oh yeah, who can play tackle if needed.

the reason I say no is because how much more does unger have in the tank?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom