Peat reworks contract, drop salary cap hit to 8.8 million, 6.3 million paycut (1 Viewer)

We’ve been needing a remodel of the left side for a while.

Peat and Armstead were good for missing 12-15 games a year between them.

Penning is one piece, and though he hasn’t had a great start to his career health wise, it’s too early to label him injury prone at this point.
Glad you brought up Penning. Where do we sand at LT? Penning with a lis franc injury and Hurst who gets tossed around quite a bit.

It’s likely a pay cut and Allen will draft a G to compete and potentially take his job or at least give you a quality 1st year backup.
That is the only way to see it. He's been a good enough player, but misses too many games. They weren't going to pay a premium for that, so this avoids a June 1 cut and we keep him this year and still take the big dead money hit but only for 2024 instead 2023 and 2024.

Peat is a case of drafted too high, being injury prone, but occasionally flashing enough ability to maintain his job. He is also versatile - being able to fill in at OT (but not good enough to warrant a permanent move to Tackle). The most infuriating thing is watching him completely whiff on an inside pass rush but then road grade a DT on an inside run a few plays later. His inconsistency is next level. At some point during the season he’ll get banged up, not enough to go on IR but enough to make his play worse.

I’d love to see the Saints draft or sign a Guard (or two) to compete with both Ruiz and Peat. Neither guy has lived up to being a first round pick (but in all fairness Ruiz is a natural Center being played at Guard. McCoy is just better at Center).
Though I agree with what you said about Peat. I believe Ruiz was most improved O-Lineman last season. Whatever Marrone did and with the help of Jahri Evans, it sure worked wonders for Ruiz. I also agree that we need to find and sign a guard in FA, if not we definitely need to draft one.

I wonder if there is a market for Peat outside New Orleans?

As a Left Tackle, there absolutely will be. Because they're very, very hard to find and teams will project him there.
I valued Pete's play in New Orleans. He was drafted to be a right tackle but he was not able to switch sides. The left tackle position was taken and he moved inside, where he achieved some success.

Besides playing guard, he gave us great value by being able to play left tackle when injuries happened.

I think this is the last year of him in New Orleans, and I think because of his health he may be closer to retirement than to getting another big contract.

I really don't see any team gambling on his health to make a critical decision at that position.

there must be a DSM diagnosis for Loomis beyond Obsessive Compulsive, are we restructured out? LOL??

Have we actually been given the information we want? Is this a paycut or can kicked down the road that ties us to Peat for an additional year?

Last edited:
As a Left Tackle, there absolutely will be. Because they're very, very hard to find and teams will project him there.
He never played all that great in that position and that was when he was when he was much younger. Doubtful they project him there this late in his career.

My money is on Payton. He always seemed like he was one of his guys.

This is why I really really want us to draft O’Cyrus. He was the most dominant offensive lineman in all of football, projected to be drafted around where we pick, and is an upgrade.
Yeah he's definitely on my radar. If he's still on the board at 29 he'd be hard to pass on. I know, I know, not another O lineman! But O'Cyrus is a great prospect. He never allowed a Sack and he's an absolute bull in the run game. Penning and Torrence playing together on the left side would be something to see in the run game.

But it's good to see that the Saints can move on from Peat after this season assuming that's correct. Andrus Peat has been one of the most frustrating players I have ever watched. Maybe the most frustrating. First of all he was drafted 13th overall and we was thought to be a Tackle. The thought was that he would be the RT after Zach Strief. Then it was discovered that Peat was not a RT. Then it was discovered that he couldn't play on the right side of the line period. He was strictly a LG who could play LT in a pinch.

Okay, so we drafted a LG 13th overall, no biggie. That's a little high but whatever, if the guy can play so be it. So when we finally see Peat take over at LG replacing Big Timmy Lelito, his play is all over the place. One play he would absolutely dominate like a grizzly bear and then the next play he'd get blown up and end up crawling around on the ground. I don't think I have ever seen a player in the NFL spend more time on the ground. It was bizarre.

So it was looking like maybe Peat was a miss and LG was probably a spot we could upgrade. Then Peat inexplicably goes to three straight Pro Bowls and becomes one of the highest paid Guards in the league. And all the while he's constantly banged up and inconsistent.

It's been a long strange trip with Peat.

Yeah he's definitely on my radar. If he's still on the board at 29 he'd be hard to pass on. I know, I know, not another O lineman! But O'Cyrus is a great prospect. He never allowed a Sack and he's an absolute bull in the run game. Penning and Torrence playing together on the left side would be something to see in the run game.

But it's good to see that the Saints can move on from Peat after this season assuming that's correct. Andrus Peat has been one of the most frustrating players I have ever watched. Maybe the most frustrating. First of all he was drafted 13th overall and we was thought to be a Tackle. The thought was that he would be the RT after Zach Strief. Then it was discovered that Peat was not a RT. Then it was discovered that he couldn't play on the right side of the line period. He was strictly a LG who could play LT in a pinch.

Okay, so we drafted a LG 13th overall, no biggie. That's a little high but whatever, if the guy can play so be it. So when we finally see Peat take over at LG replacing Big Timmy Lelito, his play is all over the place. One play he would absolutely dominate like a grizzly bear and then the next play he'd get blown up and end up crawling around on the ground. I don't think I have ever seen a player in the NFL spend more time on the ground. It was bizarre.

So it was looking like maybe Peat was a miss and LG was probably a spot we could upgrade. Then Peat inexplicably goes to three straight Pro Bowls and becomes one of the highest paid Guards in the league. And all the while he's constantly banged up and inconsistent.

It's been a long strange trip with Peat.
Yeah Torrence is my guy, go watch his tape vs potential #1 pick Jalen Carter

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom