Peat reworks contract, drop salary cap hit to 8.8 million, 6.3 million paycut (1 Viewer)

He was a prototypical tackle prospect coming out in the draft, and most "experts" had him being able to play on either side of the line. At the time, the Saints not only had a need at right tackle but only had one more year of Terron Armstead under contract. Nobody had him converting to guard at the next level.

Also, go back and look at that 2015 first round. It's pretty ugly.

Well maybe it was just me, I always thought he looked like a prototypical guard and said as much so I wasn't surprised when that's where he ended up playing.

Yeah he's definitely on my radar. If he's still on the board at 29 he'd be hard to pass on. I know, I know, not another O lineman! But O'Cyrus is a great prospect. He never allowed a Sack and he's an absolute bull in the run game. Penning and Torrence playing together on the left side would be something to see in the run game.

But it's good to see that the Saints can move on from Peat after this season assuming that's correct. Andrus Peat has been one of the most frustrating players I have ever watched. Maybe the most frustrating. First of all he was drafted 13th overall and we was thought to be a Tackle. The thought was that he would be the RT after Zach Strief. Then it was discovered that Peat was not a RT. Then it was discovered that he couldn't play on the right side of the line period. He was strictly a LG who could play LT in a pinch.

Okay, so we drafted a LG 13th overall, no biggie. That's a little high but whatever, if the guy can play so be it. So when we finally see Peat take over at LG replacing Big Timmy Lelito, his play is all over the place. One play he would absolutely dominate like a grizzly bear and then the next play he'd get blown up and end up crawling around on the ground. I don't think I have ever seen a player in the NFL spend more time on the ground. It was bizarre.

So it was looking like maybe Peat was a miss and LG was probably a spot we could upgrade. Then Peat inexplicably goes to three straight Pro Bowls and becomes one of the highest paid Guards in the league. And all the while he's constantly banged up and inconsistent.

It's been a long strange trip with Peat.
I'd be perfectly OK with drafting a guard at 29. Or any other spot in rd 1 if they're good enough. When we were at our best the O Line was the best in the league. If any fan base should know what a great O line can do for your O it should be us. Or look at how dominant our D is when the opposing QB is under heavy pressure. (like we've been for a few years now)

Also I'm concerned that both our best linemen, McCoy and Ram have had health issues lately, There are lots of Ol free agents available too.

I am remembering back at the time Peat was drafted hearing stories about Sean Payton and Dan Roushar having a relationship with Peat's dad. Peat's dad Todd Peat played for the Cardinals and the Raiders. I thought at the time maybe they over drafted Peat because he was not a top 15 projected pick and Danny Shelton went one pick earlier. Another way to look at it is in the 2015 NFL Draft the best players drafted in the first round after Peat were Marcus Peters and Byron Jones. (Peters fell due to off the field risks.) Its eight years later, the man took a pay cut to stay and cleared the path for his release without major cap problems next year. If the Saints take Torrence in the first and he is depth for year 1 and we can replace Peat next season I would take that. Having interior o line depth is always good. I also agree if you put Torrence and Penning in on run plays that left side would be road grading for years.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation...rus-peat-sean-payton-was-impressed-by-his-dad

I think resigning JW and MT opened up the possibility of Peat being a June 1 cut. That’s one way to get a player to negotiate a paycut. The same may have happened with Lutz even though his paycut came before everything else.

Awesome, should have happened a long time ago. At least he's finally not grossly overpaid. Who knows maybe the pressure of not living up to that contract will make him be more consistent.

No it's more like 3 mil.

I was going by what I saw earlier in the off-season, but I guess that was pre-SP trade.

According to this site, it’s $8.9m.

What source are you using? I’d love to be wrong on this.

Attachments

• 001D54B4-59DA-455F-9C9B-06C25AF98C6C.jpeg
    001D54B4-59DA-455F-9C9B-06C25AF98C6C.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 3
I was going by what I saw earlier in the off-season, but I guess that was pre-SP trade.

According to this site, it’s $8.9m.

What source are you using? I’d love to be wrong on this.
Every contract replaces another already in the top 51. Subtract ~0.75 mil per contract.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom