Peat to stay on the right side per Payton (1 Viewer)

praise jesus. now we just need to cross our fingers armstead stays healthy and Strief doesn't get Brees killed

It's too early to say that they blew the pick but I can definitely see where people are coming from on this one. If your team drafts a Tackle at #13 I don't think it's beyond the pale to expect that player to be good at playing Tackle. So when the Tackle your team drafted at #13 ends up being a Guard, well I can understand the frustration. Most would agree that the 13th overall pick is a little high for a Guard. Even beastly Guards usually don't go that high.
Well the guard SP really wanted went 5th overall (Brandon Scherff) so if 13th overall is too high for a guard, would you be saying that if Scherff was still there at 13. I wouldn't.

I re-watched the first quarter of the Houston game (again) and I only focused on the line. I got to say Peat did look good at RG. He was solid in both phases of the game. He didn't give up any pressures and could occasionally get to the next level in the running game. Other than the LG position I think our starting unit played pretty well.

This is what I believe our starting 5 will look like in Preseason week 3:

LT - Armstead
LG - Turner
C - Unger
RG - Peat
RT - Strief

If Turner plays well with the first unit than he very well could earn himself a starting job.

I rewatched the first half and Lelito actually played well at LG while he was playing with Unger. He had a lot of bad plays with Allen, so I'm not sure if the communication was bad between him and Allen. Turner played well at RG, but I'd say Peat is slightly better. The best thing about Peat is that he will be a great pulling guard. I haven't seen the Saints pulling their guards lately, but we should take advantage of that if Peat starts.

Where does this line of thinking come from? How do you "blow" a pick on a starter?

He's not playing the position he played in college so he's a bust? Or is it because he's not playing a position that you think merits a first round pick? In that case, could you elaborate on exactly what positions are ok and which ones aren't to draft in certain rounds?

Well I'd say close to 90% of starting nfl guards were not taken in the 1st round much less a top 15 pick. There's a reason for that. Most are tackles in college that are not quick enough to play the position in the nfl so they are moved inside. Guards and centers are very easy to find in the later rounds, so yes that's why I think the pick is a bust, even if Peat plays solid. You would think with a defense as horrible as ours we coulda found something we could use on that side of the ball. Or with our number one receiver breaking down, Devanta Parker was still on the board and has #1 receiver potential.

Guards just don't have that much of an impact on the game.

Well the guard SP really wanted went 5th overall (Brandon Scherff) so if 13th overall is too high for a guard, would you be saying that if Scherff was still there at 13. I wouldn't.

Plenty of top guards were first round selections (Zack Martin, Mike Iupati, Kevin Zeitler, Kyle Long, Chance Warmack, David DeCastro, etc). This whole idea of "you don't spend an 'X' round pick for a player at 'Y' position" is really dismissive of any type of prospect grading system.

I haven't truly studied peat temperament. When I think of guards, I think of guys with a but of a chip on their shoulder.

He should be able to kick inside and be ok. Just wondering how's his dawg?

Has he shown any signs of mauling defenders or getting himself hyped up? Is he the passive cerebral type? How many chop blocks or unsportsmanlike penalties has he had over his playing days?

Plenty of top guards were first round selections (Zack Martin, Mike Iupati, Kevin Zeitler, Kyle Long, Chance Warmack, David DeCastro, etc). This whole idea of "you don't spend an 'X' round pick for a player at 'Y' position" is really dismissive of any type of prospect grading system.

Kyle Long played tackle last year, Zachary Martin was a tackle almost his entire college career and the last two 'true guards' drafted high have been complete busts (Warmack and Cooper). And there's been many guards picked much later that are just as good as the list you provided. Trai Turner, marshal Yanda, Evan Mathis, Osemele, Incignito, not to mention our own Nicks and Evans.

Cb's, De's, Qb's and LT's will ALWAYS hold more value than guards.

Good I'm glad it's settled and he has his place. It will only last until Strief leaves, but for now glad to have that spot nailed down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waste of a first round pick. Peat should be only on the right side of the bench. I have not been impressed with his play at any position this preseason.

Well I'd say close to 90% of starting nfl guards were not taken in the 1st round much less a top 15 pick. There's a reason for that. Most are tackles in college that are not quick enough to play the position in the nfl so they are moved inside. Guards and centers are very easy to find in the later rounds, so yes that's why I think the pick is a bust, even if Peat plays solid. You would think with a defense as horrible as ours we coulda found something we could use on that side of the ball. Or with our number one receiver breaking down, Devanta Parker was still on the board and has #1 receiver potential.

Guards just don't have that much of an impact on the game.

um, name escapes me at the moment, but one in particular, that vikings grabbed from the Seahawks. was night and day difference to their ability.
not to mention when Our own Carl Nicks stepped in to replace the guard that was suspended.. seriously after watching that, you boldly state they dont' have that much impact? granted nicks wasn't a 1st rounder. but way he performed, was definitely impact-full enough to have been.
and, with our o-line that last 2 years, you saying we should have ignored it?

Kyle Long played tackle last year, Zachary Martin was a tackle almost his entire college career and the last two 'true guards' drafted high have been complete busts (Warmack and Cooper). And there's been many guards picked much later that are just as good as the list you provided. Trai Turner, marshal Yanda, Evan Mathis, Osemele, Incignito, not to mention our own Nicks and Evans.

Cb's, De's, Qb's and LT's will ALWAYS hold more value than guards.
Warmack has started in nearly every game he's been eligible to play in. And Cooper broke his leg his rookie year, and it's never really been the same. I don't understand how either of those situations qualify them as complete busts.

As for the former tackles, they are now guards, no? Same discussion we're having about Peat. I fail to see the problem with this.

There seems to be a history with this guy and getting his *** handed to him.

"I saw him get thrown around like a rag doll," the scout said. "I respect what people think about the guy, but every defensive player I saw against Stanford kicked the (expletive) out of the guy. If you're asking me who was the most overrated guy I saw, it was that guy."

"He's got damn good feet but ... the last bowl game against Maryland he looked like (expletive)," he said. "He's the No. 1 guy but he's never been pushed. He doesn't have any core strength. He doesn't take hard coaching."

Scout slams 'overrated' Stanford OT Andrus Peat - NFL.com

His temperament is key at guard. It might be the safe place for him to "hide" but in pass pro he needs to wall everything and for run blocking omg...he has to want to maul his man at the guard spot and finish second level guys as needed.

This guy aint sounding like that kinda fella.

Warmack has started in nearly every game he's been eligible to play in. And Cooper broke his leg his rookie year, and it's never really been the same. I don't understand how either of those situations qualify them as complete busts.

As for the former tackles, they are now guards, no? Same discussion we're having about Peat. I fail to see the problem with this.

Yes both complete busts. One was a throw in on a trade that couldn't beat out like a 6th round pick on his team. And the other one may have started but the team thought so highly of him they refused to pick up the 5th year option on him. If he was anything close to a building block which you would expect in a top ten pick, they woulda picked that option up no question. Apparently they view him as a replacement level piece....

Sorry that I would expect a top ten pick to be somewhat of a difference maker. Your standards of mediocrity are exactly what we've been the last few years, a non playoff team with 7-9 staring us in the face again.

Broncos just one the super bowl, it's doubtful most people could name their starting guards. Von Miller and Demarcus Ware almost single handily won them that game. Like I said they don't have the same impact on the game the positions I listed do and are certainly not worth a 1st round pick.

There seems to be a history with this guy and getting his *** handed to him.

"I saw him get thrown around like a rag doll," the scout said. "I respect what people think about the guy, but every defensive player I saw against Stanford kicked the (expletive) out of the guy. If you're asking me who was the most overrated guy I saw, it was that guy."

"He's got damn good feet but ... the last bowl game against Maryland he looked like (expletive)," he said. "He's the No. 1 guy but he's never been pushed. He doesn't have any core strength. He doesn't take hard coaching."

Scout slams 'overrated' Stanford OT Andrus Peat - NFL.com

His temperament is key at guard. It might be the safe place for him to "hide" but in pass pro he needs to wall everything and for run blocking omg...he has to want to maul his man at the guard spot and finish second level guys as needed.

This guy aint sounding like that kinda fella.

Good thing we aren't in a drive blocking scheme and it's Zone where quick feet and movement are paramount. We are all overstating the guard problem and overlooking the potential massive problems at tackle considering both of our starters can't make it through a full season. Armstead goes out for just 4 games this year and we will all look at that stretch as the reason we didn't make the playoffs or why we were wildcards instead of a 1st round bye team.

Yes both complete busts. One was a throw in on a trade that couldn't beat out like a 6th round pick on his team. And the other one may have started but the team thought so highly of him they refused to pick up the 5th year option on him. If he was anything close to a building block which you would expect in a top ten pick, they woulda picked that option up no question. Apparently they view him as a replacement level piece....

Sorry that I would expect a top ten pick to be somewhat of a difference maker. Your standards of mediocrity are exactly what we've been the last few years, a non playoff team with 7-9 staring us in the face again.

Broncos just one the super bowl, it's doubtful most people could name their starting guards. Von Miller and Demarcus Ware almost single handily won them that game. Like I said they don't have the same impact on the game the positions I listed do and are certainly not worth a 1st round pick.
Their guards were Evan Mathis and Louis Vasquez. Just because you don't know,them doesn't mean others are as equally ignorant.

And if by standards of mediocrity you mean that I'm not delusional to think that every top ten pick needs to end up on the first ballot to Canton to not be considered a bust, than guilty as charged I guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom