Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

NotOnHerb

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
So this has been sprinkled through a few of the game threads so figured we should have a thread for two things. Poll to see what people want to see and also to track how the playoff push is going.

I truly believe a playoff birth provides an undeniable positive for this young team in the way of gained experience.

Standings as of 3/10:
Team/Record/Games Back
8: Memphis / 32-32 / -
9. New Orleans / 28-36 / 4
10. Sacramento / 28-36 / 4
11. Portland / 28-37 / 4.5
12. San Antonio / 26-36 / 5
13. Phoenix / 26-38 / 6

I chose heck yeah!! The Grizzlies losing at home to Orlando tonight helps some. Now 3.5 games back.

Current chances of getting the 8 seed in the west per 538.

62% Pelicans
14% Grizzlies
13% Trail Blazers
9% Kings
2% Spurs

Can't drop any more silly games we should win. I voted no because I fell Gentry will blow it... maybe I just hope he will. But Zion is as advertised and the future is bright. I was hesitant on BI and Ball and Hart when we first traded for them but all 3 have been pretty good. BI basically got us to where we even have a shot at the 8th seed. Now we need JJ back. What's the odds we resign him?

I thought we signed JJ to a 2 year deal?

Current chances of getting the 8 seed in the west per 538.

62% Pelicans
14% Grizzlies
13% Trail Blazers
9% Kings
2% Spurs
And I think they predict us to lose the next 3 games before the schedule lightens. We need to win 1 IMO, but if we go 2-1, I think the 8th spot will be ours.

Standings as of 3/11:
Team/Record/Games Back
8: Memphis / 32-33 / -
9. Portland / 29-37 / 3.5
10. New Orleans / 28-36 / 3.5
11. Sacramento / 28-36 / 3.5
12. San Antonio / 27-36 / 4
13. Phoenix / 26-39 / 6

Until Gentry is replaced and we can consistently play some level of defense while not turning the ball over 15+ times a game, and missing half our free throws... we will be a "win 2"... "lose 3" type of team.... The team is talented enough now, and will get more talented as Griff builds them.... but this will not be a playoff team no matter how much talent they have because in Gentry's system they are undisciplined, inconsistent, and lack the fundamentals necessary to develop a winning culture.

Until I see otherwise... this is how it is... and we are not making up any ground on anyone while that's the case...

If we make the playoffs it will be because every other team crapped the bed.

And it will only prolong Gentry's job status here if we do make the playoffs.... which would be 1000 x's worse than missing a meaningless playoff beating from the Lakers.

Last edited:
Until Gentry is replaced and we can consistently play some level of defense while not turning the ball over 15+ times a game, and missing half our free throws... we will be a "win 2"... "lose 3" type of team.... The team is talented enough now, and will get more talented as Griff builds them.... but this will not be a playoff team no matter how much talent they have because in Gentry's system they are undisciplined, inconsistent, and lack the fundamentals necessary to develop a winning culture.

Until I see otherwise... this is how it is... and we are not making up any ground on anyone while that's the case...

If we make the playoffs it will be because every other team crapped the bed.

And it will only prolong Gentry's job status here if we do make the playoffs.... which would be 1000 x's worse than missing a meaningless playoff beating from the Lakers.

Inconsistent yes. Not making up any ground, sorry but we have done that. It has slowed recently but across February we closed the gap and 14-10 in our last 24 games.

I think we miss Redick on the court for the on court coaching/mental side of the game almost more than his planning.

To be clear, I am not an advocate of Gentry. I think he has some major leadership issues. But I also don't think making the playoffs guarantees his job. If he happened to coach this team past the Lakers, sure, but not just making it.

Fools gold... this is what inconsistent teams do.... they close the gap... give you hope.... and then fall back.

At this point.... what's the prize for "not sucking just enough" to make the playoffs?

A first round beating from the Lakers, and (at least) one more year of Gentry wasting young talent, teaching them bad habits, and another year watching top notch (in their early 20s) talent make unforced mistakes, miss free throws. not play defense, and be generally mediocre?

No thanks...

Fools gold... this is what inconsistent teams do.... they close the gap... give you hope.... and then fall back.

At this point.... what's the prize for "not sucking just enough" to make the playoffs?

A first round beating from the Lakers, and (at least) one more year of Gentry wasting young talent, teaching them bad habits, and another year watching top notch (in their early 20s) talent make unforced mistakes, miss free throws. not play defense, and be generally mediocre?

No thanks...

I am not a Gentry fan, but I also think you are completely ignoring what happened this year. Other than Jrue, this was a complete and total new lineup with a lot of young players who had never played together. Add to that all the injuries in the first half of the season which prevented the team from developing chemistry on the court which is vital to the type of system we are running

name one team that has made the playoffs under those circumstances that didn't have at least one veteran superstar already

I am not a Gentry fan, but I also think you are completely ignoring what happened this year. Other than Jrue, this was a complete and total new lineup with a lot of young players who had never played together. Add to that all the injuries in the first half of the season which prevented the team from developing chemistry on the court which is vital to the type of system we are running

name one team that has made the playoffs under those circumstances that didn't have at least one veteran superstar already

I am not ignoring what happened this year (or the years before that).... what happened this year and prior years only lends credence to what I am saying now...

The same problems we had this year and years' prior under Gentry... Inconsistency, Lack of Defense, Un-Godly turnovers, and overall absence of discipline.... Are the same problems we have now.... The personnel has not made any difference.... and the personnel (lack or addition) will not make any difference until Gentry is gone.

The ingredients are different.... the cook is the same... getting our plates handed to us by the Lakers won't change that... new players won't change that... excuses won't change it...

We need Gentry gone or the status quo of mediocrity stays the same...

This is not one season of SOS... it's several... with different players.... and with different FO people... the only constant is Gentry and Mediocrity.

I'll watch... root for the young guys.... and hope for wins... hope for player progression... but anything that's gets us closer to Gentry being fired is best for the team... that's all I got.

You may have exceeded your usage (and in several cases, misusage) limits of ellipses in your last two posts. Please, kindly, mix in a dash or just a simple period every now and then for us ordinary folks.

As far as the Pelicans, I would like to see them make the playoffs, even expecting them to get trounced in the post-season. If they can steal a game or two from the Lakers in round one; even better.

Griffin and Gentry can figure things out after the season concludes (unless we're all dead due to the Corona Virus; then I guess it won't really matter as much).

Never been a Gentry fan. I think this is talented team but plays out of control and that's the coaches fault. I would hate to see this talent wasted next year with Gentry again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom