Pelicans roster going forward (1 Viewer)

weightlifter316

Kevin Gates 4 President
Reaction score
Looking ahead to next season since playoffs are clearly out of reach. Hopefully we snag Shabazz Muhammad or Glenn Robinson III in the draft. We need a small forward with legit offense. Aminu is a good athlete but he does nothing to really make us a better team for the future. Davis has been up and down but everyone sees what he is capable of becoming and the sky is the limit for him. Rivers on the other hand, he looks bad. Don't know what it will take for him to get his offense together but I hope it happens soon. Vasquez has been very good this season even though I miss Jarrett Jack (went for 30 points and 10 assists tonight against the Spurs, off the bench at that, first player to do that since Magic Johnson).

Next season I like

PG - Vasquez/???
SG - Gordon/Rivers
SF - Muhammad or Robinson/Aminu
PF - Davis/Anderson/
C - Lopez/Smith

We need a legit option at PG behind Vasquez, more scoring from the SF position, and depth across the board. Honestly I'm not a big fan of Lopez but he's serviceable for now. We are still 1 or 2 players away from being playoff contenders but overall I am ok with where we are right now. I trust that the guys in control of the franchise see the same things we see and are already planning some moves in the offseason.

Given that they shopped Gordon despite his trade value being at its lowest point right now, I can't imagine they have any intentions of keeping him on the roster next year.

FA targets I'd like to see
OJ Mayo (if we move Gordon)
Earl Clark (especially if we to SG or a combo 2/3 in the draft)
JJ Hickson

We will have the cap space to make a big move, for like an Al Jefferson, if we wanted to. But the timing is wrong, most of the roster is a couple years away from really contending so there's no point in ruining cap flexibility and losing part of a players prime (Jefferson is like 27 or 28, he'd be 30, 31 before we'd even think of being serious contenders).

Given that they shopped Gordon despite his trade value being at its lowest point right now, I can't imagine they have any intentions of keeping him on the roster next year.

FA targets I'd like to see
OJ Mayo (if we move Gordon)
Earl Clark (especially if we to SG or a combo 2/3 in the draft)
JJ Hickson

We will have the cap space to make a big move, for like an Al Jefferson, if we wanted to. But the timing is wrong, most of the roster is a couple years away from really contending so there's no point in ruining cap flexibility and losing part of a players prime (Jefferson is like 27 or 28, he'd be 30, 31 before we'd even think of being serious contenders).

The team should have approx. 15-23 million to spend next season and a lot of nice FA's will be on the market. I really like what we have as of right now from a age/positional stand point. We're obviously missing a SF. Now, if we were to keep our core group of guys together that we have now... I think Andre Iguodala would make a perfect fit for what we're in need of. He is an all-around baller with tons of upside. Check it out:

PG - GV21
SG - Gordon
SF - Iguodala
PF - Davis
C - Lopez, Anderson (SF, PF, C)

Also, maybe bring in a key reserve for a decent dollar figure to help Ryan Anderson and Rivers with the 2nd unit. Maybe someone like a Jason Terry or Jamal Crawford? Just my idea with what we could do to improve through spending next season.

A back up PG and a legit SF is what this team needs. They get those two pieces and they become a playoff team IMO.

If we can't get a legit SF in the draft I hope we take a look at Alex Len. Nothing really flashy about him but he does a lot of really good things on both sides of the floor. He can rebound, he can score, he can block shots, and although I haven't seen him enough to know for certain, he seems to be a good passer. Obviously he'll have to work on his post game as most centers do but he has great range and athleticism to go along with great size. Boom or bust type of player that I think could be worth the gamble.

The team should have approx. 15-23 million to spend next season and a lot of nice FA's will be on the market. I really like what we have as of right now from a age/positional stand point. We're obviously missing a SF. Now, if we were to keep our core group of guys together that we have now... I think Andre Iguodala would make a perfect fit for what we're in need of. He is an all-around baller with tons of upside. Check it out:

PG - GV21
SG - Gordon
SF - Iguodala
PF - Davis
C - Lopez, Anderson (SF, PF, C)

Also, maybe bring in a key reserve for a decent dollar figure to help Ryan Anderson and Rivers with the 2nd unit. Maybe someone like a Jason Terry or Jamal Crawford? Just my idea with what we could do to improve through spending next season.
Andre Igoudala is 29 years old. We will not be signing Iggy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom