Pelicans trade for Derrick Favors (1 Viewer)

saintbilly25

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Derrick Favors a Pelican per multiple reports. Trade terms not out yet, but can’t imagine it being more than a couple 2nd rounders. Great defensive player, good rebounder and great around the rim. Also has a pretty good jumper and supposedly a great person/teammate. Jazz fans are very sad to see him go. Another killer move by Griffin.

Yep. I may actually sign up for tickets again, despite the drive.
I haven't paid significant attention for over 10 years. I kept an eye on the AD era, but he's not the kind of guy who can carry a franchise. He may find success, but it won't be as the #1 player on a team. Griffin has done an incredible job, and lucking in to the Zion pick doesn't hurt. This is the kind of team thats going to be fun to watch develop. They will contend early, with the potential to grow in to a very good western conference contender.

tremendous locker room guy... that's got a ton of value, esp for a team with so much youth. In addition to what he gives you on the floor, which is really solid

another great pickup

So yes, we just got our starting center for two picks that likely are worthless.
But is he though? I thought he was primarily a PF that played some C in relief to Gobert. Is he experienced and talented enough to start over Okafor?

Honest question. I know details on some players, but still learning so if someone could explain why or why not Favors might be the starting C, I would appreciate it.

Favors is a starter at the 5 IMO, that can play some 4 when Zion gets a break... Tough, smart, hard working player on the inside... good pick and roll player... good on defense can defend multiple positions... has a solid mid-rage shot.... very good re-bounder... high % FG average... decent FT % for a Big...

Okafor gives you more on offense... but Favors is the better all around player... I think he starts a the 5 next to Zion

But is he though? I thought he was primarily a PF that played some C in relief to Gobert. Is he experienced and talented enough to start over Okafor?

Honest question. I know details on some players, but still learning so if someone could explain why or why not Favors might be the starting C, I would appreciate it.

Gobert's success forced them to play him out of position because he was too good just spell Gobert. That is why Utah was moving on from him. His defense and rebounding is far better than Okafor and he should play next to zion very well. I would assume Okafor will be the second unit center who can bring some scoring.

Toronto had an exceptional defense. Having defenders that could defend multiple positions was critical to our success. Running switches against Golden State - being able to competently do so - really made a difference.

Now, historically and statistically, the Toronto defense wasn't all that impressive for a title winning team. I think it was the second or third worst in the last decade or so (I can't remember the exact stat). So, you might say that means that you can win with poor defense - but that's obviously not the case. What I think it means is that having a group of competent defenders at different positions - not a squad of elite defenders - can make a huge difference.

Seeing the Pelicans get bolster with some defensive personnel, in addition to what they had, will mean a lot over the course of a season.

JohnnyRocket pretty much hit the nail on the head. Favors' game is MUCH better suited for the center position than PF, but he had to play PF because of Gobert. Favors was too good to just be the backup center.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom