Pelicans (1 Viewer)

The Blazers came back last night because AD and 3ko had nothing left in the tank. Add Boogie to the equation and we would have won by at least 20.

Also, it was a ruptured achilles. Still a concern. He won't be back until into next season. And he may not be 100% until the following one. But in a game of smalls, if we bring back Rondo, we would have the best defensive backcourt and the only dominant front court. We would be built to destroy Houston and GS.

The Blazer came back last night because AD and 3ko had nothing left in the tank. Add Boogie to the equation and we would have won by at least 20.

Also, it was a ruptured achilles. Still a concern. He won't be back until into next season. And he may not be 100% until the following one. But in a game of smalls, if we bring back Rondo, we would have the best defensive backcourt and the only dominant front court. We would be built to destroy Houston and GS.

But they did the same thing during the last 34 games, against playoff teams. They were also coming from behind in the second half of games, with double digit deficits against playoff teams and winning. He is not the type of player that fits the Pelicans up tempo style of play, which was obvious last night and was talked about.

But they did the same thing during the last 34 games, against playoff teams. They were also coming from behind in the second half of games, with double digit deficits against playoff teams and winning. He is not the type of player that fits the Pelicans up tempo style of play, which was obvious last night and was talked about.

Well we were playing with less pace with Boogie and that seemed to be working just fine. If he came back we would just slow it down like we were doing before. It's not that hard to understand. I don't know what you have against Boogie.

I think that’s a lot of speculation and filling in the blanks for what you/we don’t know. A few days ago Cousins was hugging players and coaches in the locker room after the win against the Clippers, and AD had him do breakdown for the post-game huddle.

I think we bring Cousins back (which I support), but it is a more interesting question than I first thought. What will his level of play be after the injury? that’s a big body for a surgically repaired knee. Can we play as fast as we have been with him in the lineup? Will he agree to a lot less ball handling? Our super fast tempo has really been a weapon for us down the stretch. Having said that, I feel like “don’t need him” is far too dismissive. Let’s not forget how well we were starting to play the month before he got hurt. I’m still all for bringing him back.

IF he comes back, I am not sold on breaking the bank for him, though; which many seem to believe, will be required. I would rather go out and sign an up-tempo style of player. He is a plodder.

If you're content with just the playoffs, then yep. That works. We can keep it like it is and make the playoffs consistently for years to come. Maybe even win a series or two.

If you want to actually contend for a title, you need Boogie or a top flight SF. The odds are better at keeping Boogie.

Well we were playing with less pace with Boogie and that seemed to be working just fine. If he came back we would just slow it down like we were doing before. It's not that hard to understand. I don't know what you have against Boogie.

You do not go back to something, that was not as good as what you have now! You do not fix, what is not broke. You improve it, with similar style players, in this case. I presented statistical facts to my point. I do not understand what you cannot comprehend. You are pointing to a baseless opinion.

You do not go back to something, that was not as good as what you have now! You do not fix, what is not broke. You improve it, with similar style players, in this case. I presented statistical facts to my point. I do not understand what you cannot comprehend. You are pointing to a baseless opinion.

It's not baseless. The Pelicans were better with Boogie and they were winning games before he got hurt. You presented no facts. I presented facts that we were winning with a slower pace and Boogie, what don't you get. I am pointing a fact, you are the one with a baseless opinion.

They made the playoffs without him. That is pretty smart. :mwink::mwink:

And the money he would command, is not worth it. That would not be very bright to pay him.

The Pelicans were 27-21 when Cousins got injured. They finished 14 games over .500. They finished 48-34 for the season. So in their last 34 games, 17 games of which were against playoff level teams, they went 21-13. With Boogie, they played at a .5625 winning percentage. Without Boogie, they played at a .6176 winning percentage, against 50% of teams, in the playoff hunt.

Now do tell. What do you have?

I would say that we got off to a really slow start with all of the new additions and a still pretty new AD and Boogie pairing. However, we started to gel and won 61.5% of our games starting Dec 1 (about a month into the season) until Cousins got injured. Davis was also hurt more and missed 6 games while Cousins was still playing, but only missed 1 after Jan 26.

We also didn’t have guys like Mirotic and Okafor until after Cousins’ injury, not to mention that Diallo was still learning and developing in those early parts of the season. Even for how much he struggled last night, he has definitely been a different player in March/April than he was in Nov.

Look, I think there is merit to people who don’t want to bring Cousins back, or are at least concerned about it, but its more complicated than you are treating it.

And you do go back to something if it was working, and working better than what you have now.

But remember the game when Boogie went down at the end. We were totally dismantling Houston. It's a bit unfair to use the stats you're using since Boogie and the team were still finding their identity in the games you hold against Boogie. Leading up to that Rockets game and in that Rockets game we were starting to put it together and become something special. How did we fair against Houston without Boogie (rhetorical)?

EDIT: Loco did an awesome job spelling a lot of this out and more before I hit post

The thing is, 44. Boogie is still a good shot at resigning. That plane story is childish and dumb. If we pass on him, we need to pull in Leonard or PG. The odds of landing them are not so great. I would predict that if we pass on Boogie we would end up coming down with nothing. And being just a playoff team. Whereas if we go with the more sure option, we're title contenders.

But remember the game when Boogie went down at the end. We were totally dismantling Houston. It's a bit unfair to use the stats you're using since Boogie and the team were still finding their identity in the games you hold against Boogie. Leading up to that Rockets game and in that Rockets game we were starting to put it together and become something special. How did we fair against Houston without Boogie (rhetorical)?

EDIT: Loco did an awesome job spelling a lot of this out and more before I hit post

Honestly, I don't think we can convince this guy. He seems to just hate Boogie and refuses to look at the fact we were doing better with Boogie just before he got injured. I'm just going to let him have that opinion because he refuses to listen to anyone else.

If you're content with just the playoffs, then yep. That works. We can keep it like it is and make the playoffs consistently for years to come. Maybe even win a series or two.

If you want to actually contend for a title, you need Boogie or a top flight SF. The odds are better at keeping Boogie.

I think this is a good point. While this is fun, well earned and great, this is not a roster I think you can run back and expect to make deep playoff/title runs. Another star is going to be needed, and Cousins is at least going to be the easiest one to add/retain.

I think this is a good point. While this is fun, well earned and great, this is not a roster I think you can run back and expect to make deep playoff/title runs. Another star is going to be needed, and Cousins is at least going to be the easiest one to add/retain.

Exatly, NBA superstars don't just grow on trees.

Yep. That's where it is for me. I can see both sides. We WERE winning with Boogie. Bring him back and then we can figure out how to get him to play with Niko, which really won't be hard. and then we are title contenders. On the other hand, let Boogie walk and bring a fast paced and elite SF into what we're doing now (resign Rondo) and we are title contenders. Both work. Both have merit to it. We don't have to trash Boogie saying it.

But bringing in a top flight SF is a long shot. I'm pretty sure we've been dreaming of one on pelicansreport for quite a few seasons, now. You go with the surer shot. And that's Boogie.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom