Pels set price for Davis (1 Viewer)

I know that is the narrative, but I think teams will also consider how AD's well known desire to go to LA affected the Pelicans last season. Boston is going to be less likely to let go of enough assets unless they feel AD won't re-sign.

The report today from Wojahowski is that the Celtics and Lakers are in on the Davis trade talks. Each are seeking a third team to sweeten the deal. I too was skeptical of the Celtics getting involved but there is the Leonard and Paul George thing. Also, apparently they think this is the only way that they have a shot to get Kyrie Irving to resign with the Celtics. I guess it sort of makes sense for them to go all in. If they get it right, they get Davis and Irving long term. If it goes okay they get Davis long term and can build around him. Of course, it's also possible they get neither. But if it's neither, it was probably time to rebuild anyway. Tatum looks like a good complimentary piece, but probably not a guy you build a team around like Davis or Irving. (Although I have to admit that I'm not sure Davis is a guy you build a team around because he seems to lack leadership qualities. He seems to just want to be himself and do what he wants.)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">To be clear, of course: The Celtics and Lakers are trying to negotiate independent deals with New Orleans for Anthony Davis. There&#39;s no spirit of cooperation here. The Lakers No. 4 pick would be used to acquire Davis in a multi-team deal that does NOT include Boston. <a href="https://t.co/C9NwYJiObX">https://t.co/C9NwYJiObX</a></p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) <a href="">June 12, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the culture Sean Payton created with the saints but, I really wanted AD to stick around. It just seems all he cares about is his image, not his team or his team's fans. Is that an NBA thing or am I just that clueless outside of the saints? It feels like Chris Paul all over again(one of the reasons I stopped paying attention to the Hornets/Pelicans).

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the culture Sean Payton created with the saints but, I really wanted AD to stick around. It just seems all he cares about is his image, not his team or his team's fans. Is that an NBA thing or am I just that clueless outside of the saints? It feels like Chris Paul all over again(one of the reasons I stopped paying attention to the Hornets/Pelicans).

I’m no expert on basketball or the Pels, I’m just a casual fan.. but to me, i dont think AD’s problem is necessarily his ego, or image- i think maybe he’s just missing some of the intangibles that some of the greats possessed .. guys like Jordan and LeBron had the ability to, if not win championships by themselves, then do the majority of the heavy lifting.. with Davis, the Pels have put some decent pieces around him (Holiday, Boogie when he was healthy), but he seems to need much more than other elite players have needed in order to win titles.

I can agree with your statement. I look at what Kawhi Leonard is doing in Toronto and wonder why AD can't do the same every year. He does great but not enough it seems to get into or deep into the playoffs.

The Chris Paul saga was different. He was on a team devoid of leadership from the top, with a cheap owner and no clear direction. AD wants out from a team with clear leadership, an owner willing to shell out whatever is necessary, including a great medical team and paying luxury taxes if necessary, to go to a team(Lakers or Knicks) who are in complete disarray. Paul also did it in a classier way and actually dressed himself.

The Chris Paul saga was different. He was on a team devoid of leadership from the top, with a cheap owner and no clear direction. AD wants out from a team with clear leadership, an owner willing to shell out whatever is necessary, including a great medical team and paying luxury taxes if necessary, to go to a team(Lakers or Knicks) who are in complete disarray. Paul also did it in a classier way and actually dressed himself.

No, I know. Chris paul was a great guy to have. I only meant that another great talent was leaving the team and it sours me on the NBA.

Though, at this point my thoughts are that AD better be careful what he wishes for. Regret may be in his future. Only one team can win the championship every year and just because he wants to play with the Lakers doesn't mean he's going to win it all. I'm dumbfounded by his decision to be traded to a winning team when the team he wants(Lakers) is in complete disarray.

Some interesting thoughts on why the Celtics are not letting Rich Paul dictate their decisions...

I can agree with your statement. I look at what Kawhi Leonard is doing in Toronto and wonder why AD can't do the same every year. He does great but not enough it seems to get into or deep into the playoffs.

AD is a great player....nobody can doubt that
Leaders make the people around them better and that is what I see lacking in AD. That's not an insult....some people have that and some don't. It's probably best that AD gets traded because I don't know how he would deal with having a rookie come in with a bigger personality and better leadership skills

I like Bradley Beal... still hate the idea of Lakers getting AD. I wonder what other players / picks the Pels would receive in addition to Beal, Maybe also throw in Solomon Hill so we can get rid of his ridiculous contract.

Not a big Basketball Fan after Shaq retired but if the deal is to be done trade for as many first round(lottery picks) as they can get.... seen were if the pick is lottery then its void or something Pelicans do not want that.... granted probably be another team at the end of next year hoping for a lottery pick....

Not a big Basketball Fan after Shaq retired but if the deal is to be done trade for as many first round(lottery picks) as they can get.... seen were if the pick is lottery then its void or something Pelicans do not want that.... granted probably be another team at the end of next year hoping for a lottery pick....
A 1st round pick in the NBA is not even a fraction as valuable as it is the NFL. The miss rate in the league is absurdly high, even for top 5 picks. I don’t think we would want more than 2 picks in this draft. Now future picks have value, but also risk as you have no idea if it will be a lottery pick or not. That’s why Griffin is asking for an established all star player, a potential all star player, plus draft picks.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
A 1st round pick in the NBA is not even a fraction as valuable as it is the NFL. The miss rate in the league is absurdly high, even for top 5 picks. I don’t think we would want more than 2 picks in this draft. Now future picks have value, but also risk as you have no idea if it will be a lottery pick or not. That’s why Griffin is asking for an established all star player, a potential all star player, plus draft picks.

It's true that picks aren't as valuable in the NBA as they are in the NFL, but that's all the more reason to demand several of them in any trade. They shouldn't be as valuable to the team trading them. On the other hand, for a rebuilding team in a small market like the Pelicans, even if those picks don't turn into stars, they can be cheap but good role players and depth. Hell, once they get Zion, the biggest need on the team would be some pure 3 PT shooters to create spacing for Zion to work inside and for Holiday to penetrate. You can find those guys in the draft and it's probably much easier to tell if a guy will be a good 3 PT shooter in the NBA than if a guy will be able to play defense or work inside in the NBA.

Plus, in a small market like ours, it's difficult to sign those role players and bench guys and the team doesn't really have the money to do it. So, I would argue that picks are more valuable to a small market team than they are to the large market teams.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom