Penalty on the missed FG (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sorry if it’s been posted I haven’t seen it, what was the verdict on that? I was at the bar so couldn’t hear the television, but I just knew we were screwed again...next thing we’re on offense so I’m assuming they picked up the flag?

They initially called leverage on Davenport. I was actually dumbfounded when they rightfully picked the flag up.
I think, in the end, the flag was picked up for two reasons (according to Steratore and a few others with superior knowledge of NFL rules).

1. The person over the center is apparently allowed to engage and attempt to over take the center as long as they don't pull them forward, creating a flat lane for a defender to block the kick.

2. Davenport is apparently allowed to leap over the line because he was on the line of scrimmage at the snap and not coming from a running position off the line (ala Cam Chancellor. )

So I guess the refs realized that those two things were within the rules when picking up the flag. But I'll be honest, I was also completely shocked by the pick-up.

I think, in the end, the flag was picked up for two reasons (according to Steratore and a few others with superior knowledge of NFL rules).

1. The person over the center is apparently allowed to engage and attempt to over take the center as long as they don't pull them forward, creating a flat lane for a defender to block the kick.

2. Davenport is apparently allowed to leap over the line because he was on the line of scrimmage at the snap and not coming from a running position off the line (ala Cam Chancellor. )

So I guess the refs realized that those two things were within the rules when picking up the flag. But I'll be honest, I was also completely shocked by the pick-up.
Option #3:

3. The refs huddled, looked at the official who threw the flag, and said "we're not getting out of here alive if we don't pick up this flag."

I think they were actually discussing if the center was held down by another player allowing Davenport to jump over him, which is not allowed.
That's what I remember as well. I remember the call being something like "There is no foul for defensive holding...", etc.

The flag was for defensive holding, not leverage. I guess the other refs said they just pushed the lineman down, not pulled. And Davenport got lucky to get over the top with just barely touching one of the lineman.

Option #3:

3. The refs huddled, looked at the official who threw the flag, and said "we're not getting out of here alive if we don't pick up this flag."

i doubt that at all, if the NFCCG wasn't enough to show you the ref's and the league don't care what the fans think, nothing will.

In 2017 against Denver, it was absolutely allowed for Denver. I tend to think they got it right because.

1. They threw the flag and then huddled and discussed and then picked up.
2. Saints don't tend to get any undeserved help from Refs. Just saying.

I think they were actually discussing if the center was held down by another player allowing Davenport to jump over him, which is not allowed.
Yup, they didn't hold/push the center down which is illegal. They pushed the two guards down and Davenport just jumped over the center right at the snap. Freaky athleticism on Davenport's part. I thought they were gonna call Davenport for touching the center when he landed.

Yup, they didn't hold/push the center down which is illegal. They pushed the two guards down and Davenport just jumped over the center right at the snap. Freaky athleticism on Davenport's part. I thought they were gonna call Davenport for touching the center when he landed.

Um...We literally did push the center down. I assume it is legal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom