Pence attorney argues public-records law shouldn’t apply to emails (1 Viewer)

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Guess someone (the French?) will just have to hack 'em the hard way.

lapaz

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So the issue is related to a point paper issued by the Governor's attorney, and Pence claims that is attorney-client privilege. Isn't that privilege for cases where you are defending yourself against a crime? The U.S. Court of Appeals denied Bill Clinton attorney privilege with Lindsey, so it seems like that should be applicable to this case as well, although it is State vs Federal law at issue.

After blasting Hillary Clinton, Mike Pence in an email battle of his own - CNNPolitics.com

"July 27, 1998: The U.S. Court of Appeals rules that attorney-client privilege does not protect presidential confidant Bruce Lindsey from answering all questions put to him before the Lewinsky grand jury"

It wouldn't of mattered, because it doesn't seem like anything Trump or Pence did mattered, but I wish this controversy had erupted prior to the election.

JimEverett

Reaction score
So the issue is related to a point paper issued by the Governor's attorney, and Pence claims that is attorney-client privilege. Isn't that privilege for cases where you are defending yourself against a crime? The U.S. Court of Appeals denied Bill Clinton attorney privilege with Lindsey, so it seems like that should be applicable to this case as well, although it is State vs Federal law at issue.

After blasting Hillary Clinton, Mike Pence in an email battle of his own - CNNPolitics.com

"July 27, 1998: The U.S. Court of Appeals rules that attorney-client privilege does not protect presidential confidant Bruce Lindsey from answering all questions put to him before the Lewinsky grand jury"

It wouldn't of mattered, because it doesn't seem like anything Trump or Pence did mattered, but I wish this controversy had erupted prior to the election.
Attorney-client privilege where government is the client is all over the place. Even a meaningful distinction between civil and criminal proceedings is not all that entirely clear.

What is a "white paper" anyway?

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Attorney-client privilege where government is the client is all over the place. Even a meaningful distinction between civil and criminal proceedings is not all that entirely clear.

What is a "white paper" anyway?
It's just jargon slang for either a technical paper for publication, or an in house paper defining a practice or describing something for instruction for a group.

I've written a few.

It's sorta funny, since anything typed will be on "white paper", but it's an attempt to make it a semi formal document, but not tie it into actual policy documents, procedures. In a way, I'd consider it a more formal memo.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In the tech industry white papers are technical overviews. I'd assume for government it'd be a summary/overview of policies or government plans for public consumption.

JimEverett

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like much of an issue as this white paper was written by Texas officials.

Seems that Pence's lawyer is just trying to set a precedent or follow it as it relates to privileged information.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I prefer white courtesy telephones.

I know y'all were dying for that tidbit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom