Pence used personal email for state business, and was hacked (1 Viewer)

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
Mike Pence used private email for state business

Cyber-security experts and government transparency advocates said Pence's use of a personal email account for matters of state business — including confidential ones — is surprising given his attacks on Clinton's exclusive use of a private email server.
On NBC's "Meet the Press" in September, for example, Pence called Clinton "the most dishonest candidate for president of the United States since Richard Nixon."
“What’s evident from all of the revelations over the last several weeks is that Hillary Clinton operated in such a way to keep her emails, and particularly her interactions while Secretary of State with the Clinton Foundation, out of the public reach, out of public accountability,” Pence said. “And with regard to classified information she either knew or should have known that she was placing classified information in a way that exposed it to being hacked and being made available in the public domain even to enemies of this country.”
The experts told IndyStar that similar arguments about a lack of transparency could be made about Pence’s use of a personal email account.
“There is an issue of double standard here,” Gerry Lanosga, a professor at Indiana University and past president of the Indiana Coalition for Open Government. “He has been far from forthcoming about his own private email account on which it’s clear he has conducted state business. So there is a disconnect there that cannot be avoided.”

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
What a ******* shock. This guy sure is having a bad couple days. Serves him right. I'll chalk it up to the karmic repercussions of his repugnant treatment of gay people in Indiana.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What a **** show! The White House has turned into must-see reality TV.

TheRealJRad

The Artist Formerly Known as AgentJRad
Staff member
Tech-Admin
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
But his emails...

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have to say if possible I care less about this than the Hillary smoke and mirrors email circus. I already knew Pence was a hypocrite, so I didn't even learn anything on that front.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's hypocritical, for sure. It's also likely why a lot of people in Washington weren't exactly really eager (despite chatter from congress) to actually find Hillary Guilty or brought up on actual charges. Many would probably get caught in the fall out.

Now, This is a State of Indiana matter. What type of communications would he get that would be actually classified or need to be protected? It's not the same as the Sec of State, I'd assume. Not all 'sensitive' matters are classified or require certain protections. Just general discretion. I guess my question is this.. "is this really the same thing, or just a similar enough thing?"

I think the bigger issue is the potential violation of the Indiana Access to Public Records Act. If anyone requests those e-mails, he has to hand them over from his private account.

We really have some outdated systems for e-mails and ease of communication vs protecting such information.

If you're on the system, I'm sure our friends who've handled such things can comment on the robustness and security of the system, but trying to communicate anything off of it, is probably a minefield.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's hypocritical, for sure. It's also likely why a lot of people in Washington weren't exactly really eager (despite chatter from congress) to actually find Hillary Guilty or brought up on actual charges. Many would probably get caught in the fall out.

Now, This is a State of Indiana matter. What type of communications would he get that would be actually classified or need to be protected? It's not the same as the Sec of State, I'd assume. Not all 'sensitive' matters are classified or require certain protections. Just general discretion. I guess my question is this.. "is this really the same thing, or just a similar enough thing?"

I think the bigger issue is the potential violation of the Indiana Access to Public Records Act. If anyone requests those e-mails, he has to hand them over from his private account.

We really have some outdated systems for e-mails and ease of communication vs protecting such information.

If you're on the system, I'm sure our friends who've handled such things can comment on the robustness and security of the system, but trying to communicate anything off of it, is probably a minefield.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's funny. He was phished. So, it was his own fault.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom