Penning Highest Graded First Round Offensive Rookie After One Week 0f Preseason (1 Viewer)

But, but...everybody here said he looked terrible in pass blocking.

I hope the rookie can take the job by mid season and look good by the end of the year. Average at LT would be nice for 17 games in a row from somebody on the roster.
He looked bad on like two plays. He seemed to adjust after that. He has a ways to go, but the potential is there.

As for the other 1st round OTs…

I watched a good bit of Evan Neal in the Giants’ preseason game. He struggled quite a bit. Certainly looked no further along than Penning.

Charles Cross (Seahawks) looked fantastic. I think he’s going to have a great year.

I haven’t seen the Panthers’ rookie LT just yet.

Clearly the people paid to do this for a living that are far more knowledgeable than most of us around here disagree.

Doesn't help that Book doesn't know how to step into the pocket.
This is the hardest thing for a QB to master and I'm not sure it can be taught. Brooks never did learn how to navigate the pocket and always retreated in the face of pressure and Book seems to do the same thing. Joe Montana, Tom Brady and Drew Brees are the 3 best I have ever seen do it.

Last edited:
Clearly the people paid to do this for a living that are far more knowledgeable than most of us around here disagree.

Doesn't help that Book doesn't know how to step into the pocket.

Look, the dude will clean it up, he’s just raw but I never understood the need for dismissing it like it just didn’t happen.

I’m betting he cleans it up and look much better next week but this was bad! Now, his run blocking was amazing…

Attachments

• IMG_4041.MOV
    12.9 MB
  • IMG_4031.MOV
    9 MB
  • IMG_4042.MOV
    8.8 MB
Last edited:
I said it last night. Some want to label a guy a bust or a HOFer after his first pro preseason game.

That is why I don't care about camp beasts and so and so is tearing it up in camp or preseason games.

How they perform starting week 1 is all that matters.
The ONLY thing that carries into the season is injuries. As great as Alontae Taylor or Paulson Adebo have been...once they're guarding WRs they aren't familiar with and haven't adequate film on, they could easily become past prime Fred Thomas...I doubt it, but training camp and preseason performance doesn't always translate. Marquez Calloway was getting over the top of the Ravens excellent secondary and then struggled to do the same in the regular season and had to subsist on underneath routes.

Just how things go.

Now, let me show you why I’m not worried about his pass pro… this is next level agility which tells me that he will get the pass pro cleaned up

Attachments

• IMG_4037.MOV
    7.8 MB
  • IMG_4036.MOV
    9.1 MB
  • IMG_4034.MOV
    12 MB
  • IMG_4032.MOV
    11.9 MB
Look, the dude will clean it up, he’s just raw but I never understood the need for dismissal like it just didn’t happen.

I’m betting he cleans it up and look much better next week but this was bad! Now, his run blocking was amazing…

That first play was Book not stepping up. Guy ended up on his face.

the second play looks like the guard was supposed to have the inside, but Penning surely stunk that up.

The third play would be what I look like at 50 years old and 80 pounds smaller than the guy across from me. Scared and bad.

The final play looked like all the run downs. Straight ahead and man on man he's a beast.

That first play was Book not stepping up. Guy ended up on his face.

the second play looks like the guard was supposed to have the inside, but Penning surely stunk that up.

The third play would be what I look like at 50 years old and 80 pounds smaller than the guy across from me. Scared and bad.
Omg 😂 Ok man… carry on

I watched the full rerun this morning of the game and to my uninformed eyes Penning did a pretty solid job in run blocking. On pass plays he looked like a rookie who was being set up by the DE on a number of occasions. He was a step slow in reacting to any move whatsoever by the DE which caught him flat footed (my observation). There is no question he has great upside but he is not there yet and I don't see how Hurst will not be starting against Atlanta!
Great narrative sir. I said the same thing before the draft as a buyer beware, but people on here constantly say I don't know what I'm talking about and are now amazed like its their first time seeing fire. This why I always advocated for him to start off at guard to hide his weakness of getting beat by speed rushers in space. Put him and RAM on the right side and Kamara would run for 1300yds this year enroute to a MVP.

Im not surprised by his struggles. This is his first major game where he had to face talent. Its the equivalent of going from elementary math to calculus

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom