Penning Highest Graded First Round Offensive Rookie After One Week 0f Preseason (1 Viewer)

Thank you @State Of Affairs. He'll get coached up especially in punching the DEs to slow them down. Looks like he doesn't want to be the 1st to engage in pass pro from the looks of the 1st link of vids.

It’s literally just a matter of time and reps for him. Playing tackle in pass pro is a matter of maintaining a balanced drop so you can react to inside or outside rush… that’s all a matter of mechanics.

He’s never had to work on those mechanics cuz he was just head and shoulders better then everyone he plays.

I roll my eyes at people excusing his play but I roll them just as hard at people professing that this means he’s a bust.

Check back later and if he hasn’t improved, then I’ll start getting worried.

I think Trevor will do much better in pass pro when he learns to attack and punch instead of playing catcher and allowing the defender to make his moves and try to react. By playing that way the defender has too much space to operate.

I noticed he's a few steps into his drop before he and the defender make contact. DE's will shake him out of his shoes. At this level pass rushers are anywhere from 250-280lbs. Those guys will obviously be more nimble than him. He has to close the gap to limit the moves he can be hit with. He'll do much better tangling in a phone booth than out on an island.

Look, the dude will clean it up, he’s just raw but I never understood the need for dismissing it like it just didn’t happen.

I’m betting he cleans it up and look much better next week but this was bad! Now, his run blocking was amazing…
He needs work on his footwork in pass pro. But I agree his run blocking looks just fine.

But, but...everybody here said he looked terrible in pass blocking.
Maybe because he did. Anyone who watched the game and watches the NFL would agree. His footwork needs a lot of work. He also appears to be thinking to much. With time I am sure he will get better. However, if you relied on PFF grades to tell you how someone played, you would be disappointed.

bro… don’t do thatbut but but… go watch the video. I have it on my phone if you wana debate it.

But but but… I saw a screen capture of PFF that said something I want to hear.…

He was VERY good run blocking but struggled in pass pro!

Tells someone what NOT to do…

…then does it themselves two sentences later.

:jpshakehead:

:gosaints:

Armstead had a pretty rough time in his first start, if I remember correctly, and that was later on in a regular season game. Hopefully Penning learns quickly from his mistakes and gradually improves to become the player we hope he can be. Of course you want to see a 1st round pick flash right away, but I think LT is one of those positions it often takes a little time and experience. Plus, it was understood he was a little raw. Hopefully we see a better game next week.

This is the hardest thing for a QB to master and I'm not sure it can be taught. Brooks never did learn how to navigate the pocket and always retreated in the face of pressure and Book seems to do the same thing. Joe Montana, Tom Brady and Drew Brees are the 3 best I have ever seen do it.
One of the greatest things about watching Brees play was to see him take that big step forward, cork his chin up to see just a bit more over the line....and launch it. You just knew it was a big completion before he let it go.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom