Penning kicked out of practice for fighting (1 Viewer)

The thing is, he plays a lot like Jensen from the Bucs. Jensen gets under people's skin by leaving a bit extra towards the end of the play. He gets reactions which more often than not hurt the other team in penalties. Penning needs to aim for that sweet spot of overly aggressive and annoying, which creates a reaction but not quite enough to draw the flag. It's just finding it and being there consistently.

Of course practice is a different thing and there's a fine line between working to get better, being efficient, and honing your skill in finding that sweet spot; and, disrupting practice and hurting your team.

In practice, there is an informal/ unspoken agreement created between teammates of how much you hit each other. When teammates go beyond what people think is the boundary, they get doubly upset - one because they're annoyed about the extra violence and because it's a betrayal of sorts of the informal/unspoken rule.

I have no problem with what Penning is doing, as long as he understands what he's doing and can dial it up or down as he needs to, and adjusts as appropriate. But it's part of the learning process. But Jensen is a good role model for how he plays.

Fighting people whether you started it or not will result in penalty and getting kick out of games in real life.
The Gray thing wouldn’t have been anything… The Turner fight would have had TURNER going to the locker room…

I haven’t found a video of the Roach thing… but so far… it looks like Penning is playing hard and pissing the vets off and they are going after him and he’s standing up.

This is not a case of him going all out of control and fighting everyone (didn’t see the Roach thing) if it comes to him being out of control, I’ll change my mind but so far, I see a tough guy playing very hard and that’s what I was hoping for when we drafted him

He is going to have to tone it down during the season. You know that vets are going to try and get him into fights and you KNOW the refs will throw the flag on the Saints players for sure. He comes into the league with a reputation for being tough, which is fine, but "the line" for Saints players is at a different place.
QFT

That dude doesn’t need to tone anything down until he gets 15 yards in a game and if it’s really his fault for the flag. We should be very excited that we have an aggressive nasty offensive lineman! I wish we had 5 more just like him. Nothing better for the running game than big nasty aggressive offensive lineman! I can promise you would rather him be that way than the opposite. Until he hurts the team in a game don’t worry about it. Besides that Roach got tossed also so maybe it was Roach’s fault.

When you don't let people disrespect you, they start calling you difficult.

He plays to the whistle, and people find this wrong somehow?

If anything, Allen needs to stop being so overprotective of his defensive players. He should remember he is a coach for the whole team now rather than just the defense. His personal bias should not cloud his judgment. Penning did nothing in the two recorded clips between Turner and Gray that warranted being thrown from practice.

Allen is giving poor signals to the team by punishing someone for actually practicing the way you want players to practice rather than just going through the motions.

When you don't let people disrespect you, they start calling you difficult.

He plays to the whistle, and people find this wrong somehow?

If anything, Allen needs to stop being so overprotective of his defensive players. He should remember he is a coach for the whole team now rather than just the defense. His personal bias should not cloud his judgment. Penning did nothing in the two recorded clips between Turner and Gray that warranted being thrown from practice.

Allen is giving poor signals to the team by punishing someone for actually practicing the way you want players to practice rather than just going through the motions.
Allen may be instigating the whole thing to see how Penning reacts. It's not a bad thing to go right at a rookie's weaknesses in order to sort them out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom