Pentagon oversaw a systematic programme of torture in Iraq (1 Viewer)

Geldo

Dome Patrol disciple
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In case anyone was still labouring under the delusion that the West plays foreign policy by the rules.

The Pentagon sent a US veteran of the "dirty wars" in Central America to oversee sectarian police commando units in Iraq, that set up secret detention and torture centres to get information from insurgents.

These units conducted some of the worst acts of torture during the US occupation and accelerated the country's descent into full-scale civil war.

Full story: Revealed: Pentagon's link to Iraqi torture centres | World news | The Guardian

Devildog

Combobulated
Reaction score
Nothing surprises me any more.

We are supposed to be better than that.

I do love all of the self-righteous indignation from the people commenting at the bottom of the article, though.

"Those Americans are the only ones who have ever done anything wrong!" :mad:

By no means am I excusing anything the U.S. is claimed to have done in the name of the War on Terror, I just think it's funny.

HaZeGrEy

Rookie
Reaction score
In case anyone was still labouring under the delusion that the West plays foreign policy by the rules.

The Pentagon sent a US veteran of the "dirty wars" in Central America to oversee sectarian police commando units in Iraq, that set up secret detention and torture centres to get information from insurgents.

These units conducted some of the worst acts of torture during the US occupation and accelerated the country's descent into full-scale civil war.

Full story: Revealed: Pentagon's link to Iraqi torture centres | World news | The Guardian

Breaking News: "War is a dirty business"

Not for the faint of heart.

Glad to know we have people who can stomach the job and do the things that need to be done.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Glad to know we have people who can stomach the job and do the things that need to be done.
which is why "war" should be the VERY last option. period.

nothing good comes from war.

TechDawg09

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

Glad we have people who know how to invade an occupy a country for no legitimate reason then start a civil war there. So proud of them. :jpshakehead:

HaZeGrEy

Rookie
Reaction score
Glad we have people who know how to invade an occupy a country for no legitimate reason then start a civil war there. So proud of them. :jpshakehead:
Me too! Much more proud of them than the sniveling apologist who would give up everything this great country has because they feel guilty for being born into the most successful nation this world has ever seen. Hell I might even have more respect for the suicide terrorist than the apologist, at least they are fighting for what they believe. The apologist are just sorry for being American.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Me too! Much more proud of them than the sniveling apologist who would give up everything this great country has because they feel guilty for being born into the most successful nation this world has ever seen. Hell I might even have more respect for the suicide terrorist than the apologist, at least they are fighting for what they believe. The apologist are just sorry for being American.<O:p></O:p>
No, sorry for the hypocrisy.

Don't you have some place to liberate???

TulsaSaint

Sem medo de ser feliz
Reaction score
But thank God the real enemy of democracy and human rights, Hugo Chávez, is dead. Now the USA can get back to implanting freedom and peace around the world.

TechDawg09

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Me too! Much more proud of them than the sniveling apologist who would give up everything this great country has because they feel guilty for being born into the most successful nation this world has ever seen. Hell I might even have more respect for the suicide terrorist than the apologist, at least they are fighting for what they believe. The apologist are just sorry for being American.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
How does not invading Iraq equate to "giving up everything this great country has"?

I think INVADING the country did more to give away everything this great country has: terrific young men and women willing to fight for it, money, integrity, and international credibility.

HaZeGrEy

Rookie
Reaction score
which is why "war" should be the VERY last option. period.

nothing good comes from war.

Agreed!

But once you're in it, you'd be a fool not to do everything in your power to win it. And the sooner the better.

The US is starting to resemble the British Empire (circa. 1775). IF you are not willing to adapt to your enemy you are destiny is failure and defeat. There are NO political correct or gentlemen’s wars. War is violent and treible. And like it or not sometime necessary. Somehow we’ve forgotten how we got here

J-Donk

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

You know I stand on the other side of this with our founding fathers. I would rather die with my sweet American FREEDOM vs having these horrible war crimes done under our flag.

Persons like yourself just don't get it. I reminded by the shackles we placed up on ourselves every time I have to stand in line for a hour to go through a TSA check point. When I turn on the news and, hear about another example of us torturing our enemy, and/or killing innocent civilians. Last but not least is the massive spying programs aimed directly at the American public. OBL maybe dead but he defeated us. The idea of a free, and open society died on 9/11. When someone says something like this it's a painful reminder of the death of America.

The only time I see free speech ardently defended any longer is when a corporation wants to buy a politician. What a crock of.......

Lastly, it takes courage to stand up and say "Kill us if you want, but we won't change who, and what we are." The other way is a cowards way out. A man who sells his soul to save his skin. Pathetic.

HaZeGrEy

Rookie
Reaction score
You know I stand on the other side of this with our founding fathers. I would rather die with my sweet American FREEDOM vs having these horrible war crimes done under our flag.

Persons like yourself just don't get it. I reminded by the shackles we placed up on ourselves every time I have to stand in line for a hour to go through a TSA check point. When the news comes on I hear about another example of us torturing your enemy, and/or killing innocent civilians. Last but not least is the massive spying programs aimed directly at the American public. OBL maybe dead but he defeated us. The idea of a free, and open society died on 9/11. When someone says something like this it's a painful reminder of the death of America.

The only time I see free speech ardently defended any longer is when a corporation wants to buy a politician. What a crock of.......

Lastly, it takes courage to stand up and say "Kill us if you want, but we won't change who, and what we are." The other way is a cowards way out. A man who sells his soul to save his skin. Pathetic.
:smilielol: But thats not what most of you people are saying, you're saying please don't kill us, we'll change to suit your demands. Thats laughable. It doesn't take courage to stand up and say kill us, it take courage to stand and fight back.

TechDawg09

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
:smilielol: But thats not what most of you people are saying, you're saying please don't kill us, we'll change to suit your demands. Thats laughable. It doesn't take courage to stand up and say kill us, it take courage to stand and fight back.
But when they fly planes into our skyscrapers because of our "kill everyone not acting in our best interests" foreign policy, it takes courage and reason to realize that we've dug ourselves into a pretty deep hole...and maybe we shouldn't kill innocent people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom