Pentagon takes issue with Obama (Merged) (1 Viewer)

GavinJ's link suggests that the story was some years old when he heard it, which may explain why he didn't report it. I'm assuming the blog, being on Fox, has no innate pro-Obama bias. When you say "there's really no other choice", what are the potential administrative/legal consequences for Obama if he declines to name the officer (I can see some public/media flak, but I doubt that it will be severe enough to worry the "junior Senator").

Censure. A vote by the Senate to issue a reprimand for violations of the Senate's protocols.

It's a symbolic and ceremonial gesture, for the most part. The real punishment takes place behind the scenes, with the censured senator being taken off of the high profile, big money committees and put into the lowest ranking, most mundane committee assignments that nobody wants. It's pretty much a career-ender for a Senator.

Joseph McCarthy was censured, for example.

The Senate is all about seniority. Warner has been in the Senate for 29 years. Obama has been in the Senate for four years.

The greater the seniority discrepancy between the senator requesting the information and the senator declining to provide it, the greater the insult and the greater the potential punishment for failing to comply.

Senator Obama may be a rock-star presidential candidate, but he's merely a baby in the Senate.

The Senate is all about seniority. Warner has been in the Senate for 29 years. Obama has been in the Senate for four years.

The greater the seniority discrepancy between the senator requesting the information and the senator declining to provide it, the greater the insult and the greater the potential punishment for failing to comply.

Senator Obama may be a rock-star presidential candidate, but he's merely a baby in the Senate.

You do know that Mr. Elizabeth Taylor is a lame duck, don't you Dadsdream? He's not going to be a Senator anymore in 2009. Obama, on the other hand, is probably going to be in DC for a while in some sort of capacity.

You do know that Mr. Elizabeth Taylor is a lame duck, don't you Dadsdream? He's not going to be a Senator anymore in 2009. Obama, on the other hand, is probably going to be in DC for a while in some sort of capacity.

Yes, Warner is on his way out the door. His request letter called Senator Obama by his first name too.

Senator Obama is likely to remain the junior senator from Illinois for a long, long time. Richard Durbin sure isn't going anywhere. He just made Senate Majority Whip.

Senator Obama is likely to remain the junior senator from Illinois for a long, long time.

At the very least. lol.

edit: And Dadsdream, since you are good at digging up information - Of the three candidates remaining, which one's stances concerning Iraq are most in line with those of John Warner? Voting against the troop surge, calling for a withdrawal of troops by Christmas 2007...

Last edited:
News Flash - Senator John Warner Hospitalized.

Yes, gavinj, Warner is definitely his own person. He voted not to seek an indictment against Clinton and he's also the one who slammed General Pace about homosexuality being a sin.

News Flash - Senator John Warner Hospitalized.

Yes, gavinj, Warner is definitely his own person. He voted not to seek an indictment against Clinton and he's also the one who slammed General Pace about homosexuality being a sin.

Wow, what happened, is it his heart again?

Yeah, Warner is definitely one of the last true moderate Republicans out there. I even heard a rumor that he may endorse a Democrat to replace his Senate seat. I think there have been a lot of behind-the-scenes fallouts with the neo-cons and the Christian Coalition.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Army chief of staff Gen. George Casey, testifying on troop strain before the Senate Armed Forces Committee Tuesday, said there is "no reason to doubt" Sen. Barack Obama's military shortage story during CNN's debate in Austin, Texas, last week.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/26/obama.troops/index.html?section=cnn_latest

I was just coming here to post this. Just saw the story on CNN.

I'd be interested to see how this effects the opinion of those who felt Obama was way out of line.

they will move on to the next flemsy complaint or made up story:hihi:

I don't know that's a fair statement. I think Obama has been treated more than fair by people in general. You have a few Hillary supporters and some TRC's being unreasonable but overall he's getting very fair treatment IMO.

This was a genuine issue. It was a pretty major claim that, at this point, seems to at least be plausible.

My curiosity is to see if this changes opinions any or if this is still a "live" issue for those that didn't like him saying it or didn't believe him.

SBTB, Gen. Casey is a self-thinker. He almost not acquired the nod for his current position because of his past dissents. He is one people should listen to when he talks, a la Colin Powell.

That said, I am surprised that they confirmed this. I won't be surprised if Casey sees fallout from it though. But, honestly... we confirm things like this to you guys all of the time.

Maybe we are approching a period of honesty coming from the higher-ups?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom