People here should realize that Brady is the GOAT (1 Viewer)

Here are my two cents on the debate

Brees has been great and unlucky, while Brady has been great with luck on his side. I'm going to give two specific instances of Brees' postseason endings on how the same exact scenerio for two different guys can play out in two totally different ways.

First example is the Minnesota divisional game in 2017. Brees had about as bad as a first half as you can have, throwing 2 interceptions and spotting Minny a 17 point lead. He came out in the second half and put the team on his back. He then went on and had an amazing second half with the team scoring on 4 of their 5 drives, ultimately giving his team a lead in the final seconds of the game. Then came the Minny Miracle and the rest was history. People around here still blame Brees for this game because of his first half performance, but he came through on the road against a very good defense in the clutch. Now fast forward to Brady yesterday with his amazing first half performance. That pass before the end of the half was very good. Truly GOAT worthy, but then the second half happened. He throws THREE straight interceptions but somehow doesn't really pay for it. I'd call that extremely lucky because he had no business winning that game. The one td he had at the beginning of the second half came from starting on the 8 yard line of GB. That second half by Brady was atrocious and should have cost his team the game, but his defense stepped up.

Second example comes from the same game for Brady but this time the NOLA no call for Brees. Both QB's are looking to put the game away with third down throws. Both passes fall incomplete with clear and obvious interference on by the respective defenders. No call for New Orleans, but Brady gets the call in his game when the refs had been letting that stuff go the whole time.

My point is, it's not always apples to apples with postseason successes and failures. Yes, Brees had a game to forget against TB and I'm not going to try and argue his legacy being greater than Brady's. The whole idea of the QB getting all the credit for wins in the postseason has annoyed me for the longest time. Hell, I watched Manning hobble and wobble his way to his second Super Bowl with one of the worst passer ratings by a super bowl winning QB in the history of the game.

If you were trying to describe Tom Brady to someone who had never heard of him, which of his attributes would you use to demonstrate his superiority over everyone else who has ever played the position. What 3 or 4 skills/characteristics would you use to paint the picture?

He's the best ever at ____, ____, and _____.

Everything you say is true. But DB9 is still MY GOAT, for the reasons cited. I also recognize Earl Campbell as MY all-time greatest RB, and Vaughn Johnson as the best LBer in the Dome Patrol. Very few will agree with me, but that's okay. They all possessed something that I can't quantify, but recognize in them. And it's VERY RARE. I like grinders who over-achieve. MY criteria, MY list. Even though it only matters to me.

But you're right on everything else. I can acknowledge that.

Im with you on the grinders, theres something you respect more about the guy who does it with grit. Dennis Rodman is probably the best example of that. The guy is in the HoF, purely on effort. You look in the NBA HoF, and you likely wont find another player with less basketball skills than Rodman. But he outworked everyone on the defensive end of the floor every night. He was 6'7 and dominated rebounding in an era chock full of 7 foot centers.

Im with you on the grinders, theres something you respect more about the guy who does it with grit. Dennis Rodman is probably the best example of that. The guy is in the HoF, purely on effort. You look in the NBA HoF, and you likely wont find another player with less basketball skills than Rodman. But he outworked everyone on the defensive end of the floor every night. He was 6'7 and dominated rebounding in an era chock full of 7 foot centers.

okay, you get it. Rodman is my favorite basketball player, exactly for the reason you cited. Excelled at the "dirty work". Ripken is my baseball favorite....Ironman. Other arguments exist for Rip, but Ironman is the one that works for me. guys who shouldn't even be in the conversation, based on talent, but have forced their way into the conversation based on sheer hard work and determination. to me, that's GOAT!

I liken it to powerlifting competitions. In the event of a tie, in terms of poundage, the guy who weighs less won. The guy who weighs more SHOULD HAVE been able to lift more weight, but he didn't. In football terms, Brady is proto-typical, so he SHOULD be better than Brees. But Brees forced his way into that conversation at 5-11 3/4. I'll take DB9. just my opinion.

okay, you get it. Rodman is my favorite basketball player, exactly for the reason you cited. Excelled at the "dirty work". Ripken is my baseball favorite....Ironman. Other arguments exist for Rip, but Ironman is the one that works for me. guys who shouldn't even be in the conversation, based on talent, but have forced their way into the conversation based on sheer hard work and determination. to me, that's GOAT!

I liken it to powerlifting competitions. In the event of a tie, in terms of poundage, the guy who weighs less won. The guy who weighs more SHOULD HAVE been able to lift more weight, but he didn't. In football terms, Brady is proto-typical, so he SHOULD be better than Brees. But Brees forced his way into that conversation at 5-11 3/4. I'll take DB9. just my opinion.

I will say that the it may get lost in the discussion, but you manage to work the Sinclair Coefficient into a thread about GOAT QBs. Not the easiest transition, and you pulled it off.

That argument of the AFC east went out the window this year considering he just whipped up on the NFC. There is no consensus in the NBA on the goat but Russell is in the discussion. I'm not a Brady fan but he is the best QB we've seen so far.

The Bucs didn't even win their division.

Objectively, I would say the person who holds 98% of the position records would be considered the GOAT. Not necessarily the person who was on the best teams. But whatever floats you boat....

You do realize that if Brady plays another year he can eclipse a number of these career records, right?

Actually I have a little bit of respect for Brady now that he came over to the NFC and made the Super Bowl

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom