Per Jason Cole:Saints are working on a restructured deal for DE Will Smith (1 Viewer)

Will Smith might only be a 1st and 2nd down DE at this point in his career and if we could get him at veteran minimum or slightly higher, it would be a good deal. Too bad haters.

WOW check this tweet out..

Dan Hope&#8207;<s>@</s>Dan_Hope
<s>@</s>TonyPauline reported today <s>#</s>LSU coaches aren't giving DE Sam Montgomery a "ringing endorsement" to NFL teams. Not a good sign for him.

He's gonna be this years Justin Houston. I honestly like Montgomery more than I like Mingo. I think Montgomery has a better pro-style game. Houston lasted till the 3rd round for similar reasons, lack of commitment, focus, weed, etc. But the jump seemingly straightened him out. Maybe the same could happen to Montgomery. That being said, I prob wouldnt take him in the 1st. 2nd-3rd, I'd love to see us make that move.

Smith is the longest tenured player on the team, along with Devery, IIRC. Always liked him, just not his production relative to his contract lately. Regardless, this will be his 5th Defensive coordinator, and I have no problem finishing his career with the team that drafted him while accepting a reduced role and salary, and providing leadership and presence in the locker room.

NorfolkedSaint said:
This sucks I was hoping he could blow someplace else.

Sometimes I think a lot of people on here don't see a lot of Saints games.

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

Haters gonna hate:

tumblr_mgwjuw1rnp1rekuqao1_250.gif

Hopefully the restructure involves a pay cut of at least $7 million a year.

And exactly which games were you watching where he did well? He was getting pushed around in normal run defense, against zone read offenses he was embarrassing, and his lack of ability to rush the passer made a bad secondary look even worse.

He's obviously a leader of a defense but that's as far as it goes.

I hate it when people say "he's done nothing." That is just the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

His sack production is not up to par. His age is getting up there. That doesn't mean he can't play in the NFL anymore. Up until this season, he was HANDS DOWN OUR BEST DEFENSIVE END ON THE ROSTER. Cam Jordan would be that guy now, but if you think that Will Smith is done, you're lost.

He's restructuring. He can help this team. Sounds like the best possible outcome.

Jason Cole&#8207;<s>@</s>JasonColeYahoo
Saints are working on a restructured deal for DE Will Smith. Not done, but progressing.

Contrary to popular belief, this is a good thing. I think Will and the team know that he's no longer a "starter", and signing him a a cap friendly number is best for both parties. Will Smith is everything good about the Saints. This man has been through it all down here, and the fact that he and the team are trying to get this done is great to me. Will Smith may never be a starter again, but he is a leader. I'd love to see him retire a Saint. In a day where loyalty doesnt exist, I love that both parties are working together on this.

And exactly which games were you watching where he did well? He was getting pushed around in normal run defense, against zone read offenses he was embarrassing, and his lack of ability to rush the passer made a bad secondary look even worse.

He's obviously a leader of a defense but that's as far as it goes.

So he looked like the rest of our defense in those situations?

I wouldn't judge any defensive player based solely on last season. If we did, we would be blowing up the whole defense, personnel wise, and starting over.

Payton is loyal to a fault. As a fan, I want what is best for the team. Even if it means being brutally honest. Will Smith and Jonathan Vilma are NOT VIABLE ANYMORE! Neither player is anywhere near being a proficient defender at this point in their careers. They are taking up a ton of cap space and not to mention 2 very valuable roster spots that could be had by two other cheaper and younger counterparts. Ask yourself this question: Are we better with them than we are without them? In my mind at least, our defense would probably perform about the same. So, why don't we save some money and some space on the roster?

On what planet people think that a de who can't defend the run and can't rush the passer is a good starter? I wonder what games people actually watch. But yeah, let's keep a player who earns 14 mlns$$ because he's such a good leader, it helped us last year /sarcasm
I hate it when people say "he's done nothing." That is just the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

His sack production is not up to par. His age is getting up there. That doesn't mean he can't play in the NFL anymore. Up until this season, he was HANDS DOWN OUR BEST DEFENSIVE END ON THE ROSTER. Cam Jordan would be that guy now, but if you think that Will Smith is done, you're lost.

He's restructuring. He can help this team. Sounds like the best possible outcome.
Yes and what does that tell us? It just means our DEs sucked big time. Seriously, he's never been a great pass rusher, and the past year he was getting pushed like a high schooler on any kind of run, how is it that people think he's so good? "Zone d"? For a dl?

Seriously. If next year he'll have a 10 sack 80+ tackles season ok, but otherwise he would be worth keeping at 1 mln or whatever the vet minimum is. Do you guys realize he's earning 14 mlns? Good heavens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom