Per Rotoworld:Roy Williams-WR-Lions (1 Viewer)

See that's the whole problem. Why are you satisfied with Drew making "ANY wideout look good"? Don't you want him to make already good wideouts look great???? I think if we had better wideouts, we would've been in the playoffs without a doubt. If we had a better D we would have made the playoffs too. If we can improve BOTH sides of the ball we can do some special things, but getting to the playoffs shouldn't be the team's goal.

I guess my mindset is just a lot different from a lot of other Saints fans. Stumbling in the playoffs at 9-7 isn't good enough for me. That's not good enough to win a Super Bowl. Yeah Giants got their but they won't win it.

Wow...what kind of fantasy land is this? You think we are the Pats or something? We will get 2 impact players this offseason in FA and through the draft... maybe 3. How are you going to improve both sides of the ball by landing an expensive wideout when our offense is good enough to begin with? Sure he would be a great addition to our team... but at what cost? I'm not comfy winning games where we HAVE to score 30 to have a chance. A halfway decent D this past season and we could be the Giants instead... having an improbable run to the SB. And I'm glad you know the outcome of the game in advance.

Who is Smith?

I haven't really kept up with RW's career, but I remember Berman and TJ loved him his rookie year. But if he only has a year left on his contract, you're probably looking at a 3rd or 4th round pick (i.e., Stallworth). I would definitely do it for that price. Not sure about a 2nd rounder though.

You think we are going to have an all defense draft or something? We have an offensive minded coach. We are going to pick an offensive player first day, ESPECIALLY if we add no offensive pieces via free agency.

And I don't think our offense is playoff caliber as is. Sure they put up stats but our offense had opportunities to win games in spite of our D and couldn't get the job done. Our receivers drop entirely way too many passes, and I don't think the fix is as easy as "Cut Devery Henderson". People can say "oh well we pass more than anyone" but the Pats pass a lot too and their receivers don't lead the league in dropped passes, so that excuse is lame. We need better receivers.

Also, we have to replace Deuce, because there's no way in my mind he can be the player that led our team in rushing in '06. Another ACL injury is too much. We have more to fix on this team than our secondary.

Yeah we may be able to make the playoffs with a couple of new players on D, but do you want to make the playoffs or do you want to win the Super Bowl? If your answer is you want to win a SB, then we need to improve the offense as well. It's not good enough to get the job done.

This is an excellent post. :9:

I would trade a 2nd round pick for Roy Williams so fast it would make your head spin.

He's a great receiver. You've got a guy who's young and in his prime, a guy who can contribute now and for 5 more years. Sure, you might get lucky and draft another Colston, but that's not going to happen. If you drafted a guy in the first round, you'd give up a pick and a huge contract anyway--and it would be considered a good pick and a good investment. Why wouldn't you trade a second for a Roy Williams?

There's so much talk about how much it would cost to sign these guys, but it's going to cost you no matter what. If you turn down every single big-ticket player--what are you left with? One of the best passing quarterbacks in the NFL throwing to backups? Do you piddle around for 4 years trying to find a bargain receiver, wasting time until Drew Brees' skills start to diminish?

Drew needs another receiver, and a big receiver is perfect for him.

It's just a no brainer to me. That said, I think there will be other teams vying for his services. Getting him wouldn't be easy.

I would absolutely give up our 3rd and 5th for him. Probably not the 2nd.

I would trade a 2nd round pick for Roy Williams so fast it would make your head spin.

He's a great receiver. You've got a guy who's young and in his prime, a guy who can contribute now and for 5 more years. Sure, you might get lucky and draft another Colston, but that's not going to happen. If you drafted a guy in the first round, you'd give up a pick and a huge contract anyway--and it would be considered a good pick and a good investment. Why wouldn't you trade a second for a Roy Williams?

There's so much talk about how much it would cost to sign these guys, but it's going to cost you no matter what. If you turn down every single big-ticket player--what are you left with? One of the best passing quarterbacks in the NFL throwing to backups? Do you piddle around for 4 years trying to find a bargain receiver, wasting time until Drew Brees' skills start to diminish?

It's just a no brainer to me. That said, I think there will be other teams vying for his services. Getting him wouldn't be easy.

Thank you. Having an offense that's "good enough" and making "Improbable runs to the SB" isn't good enough to me. We need to build a team that makes an expected run to the SB. I'm sure the Pats fans that thought their offense was good enough were against getting Randy Moss, since he had such a bad attitude and all that baggage.

Patten, Terrance Copper, Lance Moore, none of them should be starting, and wouldn't be starting for any playoff team.

There's no reason why we couldn't get a couple of upgrades on D, get a RW or Chad Johnson, and have the draft to focus (primarly, but not exclusively) on D. This entire team, with the exception of QB, could use upgrades. I agree that areas on D deserve priority, but if you have a chance to get a difference maker like a Roy Williams, you do it.

Seeing the way that weve been drafting as of late. Yes trade our 2nd round pick for him. He's a pro!!! I dont understand why Detroit would want to give him up. He'd provide a good 2nd option for us. But, I doubt we do. Colston probably gets a big extension and Meachem's real debut season will be one that the saints hopes is good. Love too see it happen but it wont.

Here's what I don't understand... people always want to shun the WR position as a position of need heading into this offseason... we pass the ball damm-near 40 times per game... and we have Colston, an unproven Meachem, and an underachieving Lance Moore on the roster as our only WRs that are under contract...

what's the deal?

Do y'all want to put some of these defensive players y'all target at WR? I wonder if briggs can play the slot... maybe Asante "Toast" Samuel can be our #2... he's quick enough...

give me a friggin break... I'd take him for a 2nd... hell I was hoping Marvin Lewis wanted to get rid of Ocho I'd damm sure give a 2nd rounder for him.

We pass the ball way too much not to fill our WR corp with horses...

Here's what I don't understand... people always want to shun the WR position as a position of need heading into this offseason... we pass the ball damm-near 40 times per game... and we have Colston, an unproven Meachem, and an underachieving Lance Moore on the roster as our only WRs that are under contract...

what's the deal?

Do y'all want to put some of these defensive players y'all target at WR? I wonder if briggs can play the slot... maybe Asante "Toast" Samuel can be our #2... he's quick enough...

give me a friggin break... I'd take him for a 2nd... hell I was hoping Marvin Lewis wanted to get rid of Ocho I'd damm sure give a 2nd rounder for him.

:potd:

what's the deal?

That's all I'm saying.

Our offense is ok, but it's not nearly as good as it could be. I'm not saying we have to dedicate this offseason to improving the offense. Everyone knows that we need help desperately on D. I think every offseason should be dedicated to improving your team in the most ways you can. If we were to trade for a Roy Williams, that doesn't mean we can't still improve the D. You don't forego an opportunity to get a special talent (like a Reggie Bush). You just don't.

But I watched as many of the games that I could. Our receivers dropped too many passes. You can say that we pass the ball more than anyone, but I would say look at the Pats. I'm certain they didn't come close to our drop numbers. Maybe if we improve the D we will make it to the playoffs next year, but we need to improve the entire team if we want to win a Super Bowl.

Last edited:
If we are going to let Devery walk, I'd suggest we offer them a 4th rounder this year...OR....a 4th rounder next year that could escalate into a 3rd if he plays in over 80% of the offensive plays and has over 1000 yards receiving. He still has one year left on his contract, so he may or may not want to re-sign with us. That would give us yet another year to work Meachem into the lineup and if in 09, Williams walks.....we haven't lost anything.

We could resign Patten pretty cheap and I have no doubt Copper could be resigned. That would give us Colston, Meachem, Williams, Patten, Copper and then pick up a WR in round 5 or 6 to play ST and the number #6 spot.

I'd rather Chad Johnson for a #2 pick, if that is possible, to compliment Colston.

Roy williams would be an excellent addition.
i'd offer them our high 2nd.. for there buster davis and Roy.
Or even our 1st, 2nd and 3th for R Williams, boss bailey, Kalimba Edwards, jt o sullivan.
don't think the lions would go for it though.

the note about the pats, is right on, they were ok but not quite great at wr, they and went out and got 3 GOOD ones. taking a chance on Moss, that's why he was only a 4th.

Give Drew some excellent targets.

dont' put it all on that though, still need D..
ps, i know this isn't madden with the trades.

what he said

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom