Pereira explains replay foul up. (1 Viewer)

There's a logistical problem with relying on the network truck to feed replay footage. The producer in the truck has to focus on directing the on air content. It would be tough for the truck personal to respond to the producers instructions for on air content and officials requests for playback of various camera angles simultaneously. I don't think the networks nor the NFL are willing to commit to the level of cooperation between the truck and the officials that would be necessary to make it work.

Also, what happens if the network producer, for whatever reason, doesn't provide a critical angle? Fans are quick to scream foul play when the refs make a mistake. Imagine what the outcry would be if the network made a mistake. Take the Patriots vs Saints game coming up. If the networks were providing replay footage and didn't provide an angle that would give the Saints a winning score, Saints Nation would storm the trucks out of protest for the network fixing the games for the Patriots.

I think the better solution is for the NFL to have at least two servers to playback the footage. The odds of two servers freezing up at the exact same time are pretty low. And if they don't already, they should replay footage after every play just to make sure the system is working. That way if it freezes up during play back of a non-challenged play. They have time to reboot the system.

It is recorded on 2 servers in the replay booth. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fe...e-nfl-instant-replay-system.html?print_page=y the failure occured at a switch controlling the servers. is what he said.

I've lost all faith in Pereira in the last season and a half. Even this explanation which is pretty reasonable is suspect after I have seen him twist and turn on the truth to make his officials look better than they should when they make dumb mistakes.

I really don't understand this attitude. I have watched every single "Official Review" segment for the last several years, and NOT ONCE have I ever seen Pereira "twist and turn on the truth."

The purpose of the segment is to give fans an insiders view of the very technical application of the rules and the mechanics of NFL officiating. In that regard, it is a fantastic thing they do. No, the show is not an official-bashing show (though I have seen several time when Pereira admits they got the call wrong) where every incorrect call is discussed to death...nor should it be. Many time calls chosen highlight a particularly confusing rule or scenario...one where the average fan (or the often-incorrect announcers) think the call was incorrect...but is actually correct. I don't see that as twisting the truth. I see it as helping to educate the fan base.

If you have one example of Pereira ever twisting the truth, please cite it.

I think it's only fair that if a Coach is not allowed to review a given play during a game, then ALL plays thenceforth should be un-reviewable. Either that, or make an exception to the time rule for booth malfunctions. The purpose of the replay is to get the call correct... limiting that purpose due to a silly 2 min. allowance is wrong. If there's a booth malfunction, restart the computers, then review the play... it's that simple.

Why not just have a television with the sound muted upstairs with the replay officials? Everybody watching the game on tv saw the replay several times from different angles. The officials upstairs could make the determination like in the final two minutes. That would be too simple of a solution, I suppose.

Jan

Pereira reminds me of this guy...

Attachments

• bagdad_bob_large.gif
    bagdad_bob_large.gif
    41.3 KB · Views: 46
Hmmm, any tech gurus want to be a real "12th man" on the ready whenever the opponent is challenging a critical call in our favor and "accidently" cause a replay malfunction?

One of the early games that day had the same issue. I thought in that game they charged the other team with a time out on top of it all. Did Pereira mention the other game at all in hte piece?

It is recorded on 2 servers in the replay booth. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fe...e-nfl-instant-replay-system.html?print_page=y the failure occured at a switch controlling the servers. is what he said.

Thanks for the link, so apparently they have two servers. I heard his explanation and didn't get what he meant. It seemed he was saying it was a problem with a power switch, but surely the servers would have independent power sources and controls. So he might have meant that the video switch used to switch the video feed to the field from one server to the other had an issue, but that wouldn't make the servers freeze or fail. It would just mean they couldn't send the video down to the field. It seems like for that scenario it would be wise to have monitors and an official in the booth that could review the play. It would also be wise to have a back up video switch.

It's the same concept as having alternate officials on the sidelines in case one of the other officials gets injured during the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom