Pereira explains replay foul up. (1 Viewer)

I've lost all faith in Pereira in the last season and a half. Even this explanation which is pretty reasonable is suspect after I have seen him twist and turn on the truth to make his officials look better than they should when they make dumb mistakes.

I agree. Watching that Official Review segment each week, I think only about 3% of the time he admits the refs made a mistake. To me, it's obvious that he's covering their *****.

I've lost all faith in Pereira in the last season and a half. Even this explanation which is pretty reasonable is suspect after I have seen him twist and turn on the truth to make his officials look better than they should when they make dumb mistakes.

He started off showing the play and stating that if the system had worked that the ruling on the field would have been overturned.

I think the ref went under the hood and those fans at that restaurant he talks to said they didn't want the Saints to have the ball yet. At least he didn't trip a Saints player after that.

He started off showing the play and stating that if the system had worked that the ruling on the field would have been overturned.

Yes, he can say that now--but I don't believe it. The "malfunction" was way too conveniently placed for my taste. Replay the down if need be, but don't reward a team with unearned possession just because of a malfunctioning machine.

I think the Feds should get involved in this - they investigate everything else.

Your computer has never frozen up for no reason?

I understand what you're saying, and yes, of course my computer has frozen. However, I have a cheap dell computer that I bought on credit.

My point is that this is the NFL. "It was working before the game" doesn't cut it, in my view. Like the poster said above, what if this had happened in the SuperBowl and at a decisive moment? Don't you think heads would have rolled over that?

Check. Re-check. Keep checking and monitoring. It is their responsibility to ensure the system is working.

Oh, and good point above: Why not just look up on the jumbotron? It was as obvious to the announcers on TV as it was to us. Was anybody at the game and can say what the replay looked like on the jumbotron?

Your computer has never frozen up for no reason? S(p)it happens. Thankfully we still won the game. We got our fair share of breaks Sunday, so things (as so often happens in life) eventually evened out in the end.

The replay system malfunctioning is an issue once or twice a year at most. Considering how many games they play and how many replays they utilize per game that's a pretty good percentage. It sucked hard when it happened but its time to move on.

In engineering, redundancy is the duplication of critical components of a system with the intention of increasing reliability of the system, usually in the case of a backup or fail-safe.

thats why I think the feeds should come from the network truck. even if they have a problem with the truck they can back it up from the main network system. the networks even have analog phone line as backup if the sat-link fails. the network truck has more redundant backup than the space shuttle

There's a logistical problem with relying on the network truck to feed replay footage. The producer in the truck has to focus on directing the on air content. It would be tough for the truck personal to respond to the producers instructions for on air content and officials requests for playback of various camera angles simultaneously. I don't think the networks nor the NFL are willing to commit to the level of cooperation between the truck and the officials that would be necessary to make it work.

Also, what happens if the network producer, for whatever reason, doesn't provide a critical angle? Fans are quick to scream foul play when the refs make a mistake. Imagine what the outcry would be if the network made a mistake. Take the Patriots vs Saints game coming up. If the networks were providing replay footage and didn't provide an angle that would give the Saints a winning score, Saints Nation would storm the trucks out of protest for the network fixing the games for the Patriots.

I think the better solution is for the NFL to have at least two servers to playback the footage. The odds of two servers freezing up at the exact same time are pretty low. And if they don't already, they should replay footage after every play just to make sure the system is working. That way if it freezes up during play back of a non-challenged play. They have time to reboot the system.

Just curious, couldn't they use the jumbotron as the backup? ("Okay, everybody in the stadium needs to close their eyes for a minute while I watch this.....")

Or as an alternative, simply have an official in the booth upstairs -- don't they have one already? -- who can walk up to the internal monitors used for the jumbotron.

I am still not impressed with the answer from Pereira. He told us nothing except what the rule is and that the system "didn't work." We knew that within minutes of the events as they unfolded on the field. Pereira had a responsibility to tell us something we didn't know, which he did not.

NFL officiating is not accountable in my opinion. NOT!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom